NGD: The ugliest partscaster

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
IMG_20171014_112720497.jpg

I grabbed a squire bullet off reverb to switch bodies. I still don't like the pick guard. Needs to be black. Maybe you can't tell in the picture but it's this sort of fake metallic weirdness.

... Since it still doesn't have a high E, I don't know if the alignment thing is fixed. Pickups still in the old body. But I think this is looking pretty cool!

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Looking good. Hopefully that high e lines up, because that's an awesom looking guitar.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I can't think of why it wouldn't since it's a telecaster neck and a telecaster body. That other body I think was home made. The neck pocket was ridiculous!

Bearitone

Reaction score
Not ugly enough. Needs some purple

EDIT: oops. I didn't see this thread had a second and third page.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
I made the same mistake when I built my tele about not getting a trem spaced humbucker. I just angled the pickup a little from side to side with the height adjustment. I really need to do another. Mine was natural with all blacked out hardware too.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
That can be fixed. There is enough play in the joint that you can loosen the neck bolts like a quarter turn, then pull the neck towards the low E, tighten and retune the guitar :metal:

I tried to do that with the last body but it just wouldn't work. But I was definitely unscrewing more than just a quarter turn (more like a quarter length of the screw). I'll see how this quarter turn method goes over.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Who cares about extended range when the thing you've been missing all your life is Reduced Range Guitars!! Five Strings or Fewer!!!

:mf666:

I'm pretty sure that Dan Swano recorded Edge of Sanity album Crimson II on a 5 string baritone guitar

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Since you are already taking the neck on and off it wouldn't hurt to check that the neck screws have the correct threading length. I had that problem on an older partcaster that became another instrument after a knowledgeable tech fixed it. It also helped fix a similar alignment problem.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
I don't think it's the neck. The high E seems like it's close to the edge of the pickup too. One way or another you might want to try scooching the bridge over a bit. A lot of time and effort if It's string through body, but not impossible and would definitely fix the issue.

It's what I'd do, but I'm also fucking weird.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I did the neck scootch in the pocket, a la quarter turn on the screws. I think it might still be too close to the edge, but now it's at least playable. I try to visually compare with my other guitars but it's kinda not a perfect comparison because they both have fretboard binding and wider nuts. So since I'm going to take it to my guy eventually I'm sure he'll get the thing perfect, but for the meantime at least it's no longer a 5-string. Thanks everyone for all this advice on this one!

Last edited:

Latest posts

')