NGD: Ugly Ibanez SA

• Thread starter rekab
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rekab

Reaction score
Another craigslist find of mine.
Ibanez SA series. I think it's an sa160 but I'm not really sure. It was sanded down poorly, dirty, strings buzzing, missing the cavity covers, and had the bridge pu held in with duct tape. So I bought it lol
I restrung, set it up, polished the frets/most of the hardware, and cleaned it up. And then dropped my jaw at how great it sounded.
I originally intended to repaint immediately after making certain I could set it up to play properly. Instead I found that it plays so great that I kind of like how ugly it is.. Paint is likely in it's future but I'm going to wait a bit and enjoy the beautiful sounds from an extra ugly instrument.

Pics!!
6becb2cc.jpg

cb6c2ddc.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Ugly. Functional. (After some work) :)

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
Dude, don't you dare paint it! That thing has character. Maybe put a thin clear coat on it.

rekab

Reaction score
Dude, don't you dare paint it! That thing has character. Maybe put a thin clear coat on it.

That's what most my buddies have said. They love the ugliness. I'll need to seal it in some way though. The dark areas are exposed wood that appears to have been burnt by a sander. The rest still has sealer on it. It's comfortable as hell and sounds fantastic (no clue if the pickups are factory or not but I'd assume they are).

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Ahhh, I want ! Sabers are cool no matter the finish on them. Great buy man, very cool.

faekildare

Reaction score
I will sand it down and seal it with Tung oil. Mahogany has a nice deep lustrous look to it after oiling.

CptMcKay

Reaction score
I will sand it down and seal it with Tung oil. Mahogany has a nice deep lustrous look to it after oiling.

Came in here to say this...but if you like the ugly, then more power to you!

Congrats on your find, my man!

Joelan

Ukulele Shredder
Reaction score
I would personally refinish and allow it to reacquire character, it's just too ugly to leave it :lol:.

Great score though, the important thing is of course how it feels and sounds :metal:

Goatchrist

Reaction score
He cares if its ugly?
But if you want to paint it, look that you got a creative idea!

Congrats!

Nonservium

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Count me in on the don't you dare paint it boat, that thing is awesome. Grats on scoring that.

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
I kind of like it like that. I'm with whoever said just give it a clear coat.

SammerX

Reaction score
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are the horns on it all cut up/jagged?

It would be really cool if you or someone was able to either carve them to look like the old style sabers or carve in the cutaways that are on the new RGA series (also on some ESP/LTDs I guess?) It looks like someone already started that for you, haha.

Latest posts

')