NGD: Unexpected Long Boi

sell2792

Reaction score
Long story short, after settling on a JPX7 as my main seven string I decided I needed to add another baritone to the collection. I tried a few different guitars over the past few years including an LTD Black Metal, Schecter KM II & III and Mach 7’s, etc. I had always been interested in Agiles but had never pulled the trigger on one for whatever reason. That is until I stumbled onto a Reverb sold listing for an “Agile Semi-Custom Epic 727.” I looked for a few months to no avail until one popped up on the east coast which I missed out on.

Fast forward to last week, I just so happened to browse Guitar Centers used section and found one! I whipped out my dusty Gear Card and immediately placed the order. I know I shouldn’t have but sometimes impulse buying is just the best... I finally received it last night and took some quick, very poorly lit cell phone pictures:

IMG_2068.jpeg

To make this short story longer, it turns out the multiple sold listings I had seen over the past decade were for this exact guitar as verified by the serial number. Agile appears to have only made one black and one blue Epic 727 with a factory Kahler (Hybrid) which is kind of cool. Also, it started life with white Fluence Moderna but over the years they were replaced with an 81-7 & 85-7 or 707 and most recently the last owner put the 81-7 in the neck and added a Blackout Jeff Loomis to the bridge.

Overall the guitar is in pretty good condition with some signs of wear. I was impressed that it arrived in tune with a nice, low action considering GC threw it in a box with minimal packing material and shipped it from Wisconsin to South Florida. At least they were nice enough to wrap up the trem bar this time so it didn’t scratch the hell of the guitar like it did with my stealth Majesty 7.

So far I love it. The Blackout Loomis is pretty tight and very articulate in drop G. I’m not used to an 81(-7) in the neck but so far so good. I can actually do some nasty riffs in the neck position and still hit pinch harmonics. I may replace these down the road with white Fishmans (Moderns or Abasi?) or a set of old Blackout EMTYs if I can find them in white. I’ve never owned a guitar with Fishmans so I’m leaning in that direction, however, I assume I’m limited to soapbar sized pickups either way.

IMG_2070.jpeg

Lastly, I know Kahlers get a lot of hate but I love them and that’s a big reason I sought out this guitar. Not only did it arrive from the other side of the country in tune but it’s held up with a good amount of abuse. I am considering upgrading the rollers to Teflon and possibly the cam to steel using Kahler Professional parts which do fit the Hybrid. Also, being able to lock it down to a fixed bridge for string changes with the turn of a hex key is so nice.

Attachments

• IMG_2069.jpeg
    IMG_2069.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bmtf

Reaction score
Man Kahlers were off my radar until i put a stetsbar in my sisters tele. I know it's not the same thing, but it's good to see the Agiles w/rollers getting some love. The pendulums always grab me and I would love to try one at GC

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
"...considering GC threw it in a box with minimal packing material and shipped it."

Yep. Sounds about right for GC :lol: I had an Ibanez RGD I bought second hand show up with the headstock pressed against the back of the box 'protected' by a few bundles of balled up brown paper and the nut fallen off, and I was blown away it wasn't damaged beyond repair.

But congrats on the new guitar, dude. :cheers: Agile makes some really nice stuff - especially for the price. I've got two currently, and I'm eyeing another in the semi-near future.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats, that is awesome! I haven't used that Kahler, but I really like the one on my old G&L Rampage.

@sell2792 is the bridge stock on that model? I thought they were normally hard tails or some kind of Floyd?

bmtf

Reaction score
"...considering GC threw it in a box with minimal packing material and shipped it."

Yep. Sounds about right for GC :lol: I had an Ibanez RGD I bought second hand show up with the headstock pressed against the back of the box 'protected' by a few bundles of balled up brown paper and the nut fallen off, and I was blown away it wasn't damaged beyond repair
I hate when the nut is not secure after shipping lol . Previously ordered a "long boi rgixl7", and went to string it up. I'm on the "F string" and wind up normally, aaand the nut goes flying past my face! Factory/qc issue? An older guitar was in a box for like a month, causing the nut to shift over the bass side by almost a cm. Neither occasion was due to GC but still fun.

sell2792

Reaction score
Man Kahlers were off my radar until i put a stetsbar in my sisters tele. I know it's not the same thing, but it's good to see the Agiles w/rollers getting some love. The pendulums always grab me and I would love to try one at GC
I’m not really into multiscale guitars so I haven’t been too tempted to try a pendulum as cool as they look and as well spec’d as some of them are. I also don’t like that they don’t come with a locking nut which would limit how crazy you could go with the trem. Hopefully Kahler invents a multiscale locking nut at some point in the future to solve this issue.

The other possible solution is doing something similar to what Dean did by having the first fret be straight (perpendicular?). I actually considered the Dean Exile 7 with a Kahler but I couldn’t get over the super ugly finish those came in… I would rather have herpes than play a guitar with a spalted top which also eliminated the Schecter KMIII.

Last edited:

bmtf

Reaction score
I’m not really into multiscale guitars so I haven’t been too tempted to try a pendulum as cool as they look and as well spec’d as some of them are. I also don’t like that they don’t come with a locking nut which would limit how crazy you could go with the trem. Hopefully Kahler invents a multiscale locking nut at some point in the future to solve this issue.
This. Always been skeptical of the fanned agile nuts. If there were a well advertised drop in replacement from graphtech I wouldn't worry as much. Otherwise I think slippery nut + maybe change something about the tuners would be good, but still depends on how crazy you want to go.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
This. Always been skeptical of the fanned agile nuts. If there were a well advertised drop in replacement from graphtech I wouldn't worry as much. Otherwise I think slippery nut + maybe change something about the tuners would be good, but still depends on how crazy you want to go.
It depends on the Agile you get. I've got a Geodesic 8 that I love, but there's no direct drop-in like you're talking about for the nut. Not sure it's an issue with the 7s, though. That being said, I've been in contact with Kurt several times, and he always gets back quick and has been happy to ship out replacement parts with zero hassle (I'm paranoid that they'll eventually stop making their proprietary headles bridge bits, so I keep some spares around in case they eventually wear out past repair). They're pretty decent quality as well - any 'pro' series comes with a graphite nut stock.

sell2792

Reaction score
Congrats, that is awesome! I haven't used that Kahler, but I really like the one on my old G&L Rampage.

@sell2792 is the bridge stock on that model? I thought they were normally hard tails or some kind of Floyd?

I actually had a G&L Jerry Cantrell Rampage for awhile along with an LTD JH600. Those guitars were both my introduction to Kahlers. Unfortunately that Rampage weighted a ton (solid maple body) and I struggled to keep the Kahler X-Trem in tune. Then again, I was a clueless teenager. For what it’s worth I’ve never had issues with the Hybrids though.

Most if not all of the Epic models were hardtails as far as I know. As for Kahlers, I believe Agile only uses USA-made Hybrids on their guitars that utilize them including all of the Pendulum models. I actually think the cheaper, import X-Trem was discontinued some time ago. They do make various models with hardtails and different trems including Floyd’s, Kahlers and whatever they’re using on some of the headless models. Though, I don’t think they’ve done much with Kahlers over the last few years from what I’ve seen.

Last edited:

sell2792

Reaction score
Really cool seeing a Kahler. Slick looking guitar. Congrats!

Thank you! I really wish they were more popular. Aside from a few mostly less than desirable Deans & BC Rich’s and a couple signature ESP/LTDs, there’s very few guitars currently being manufactured with them. I may just need to add a Professional to one of my Edwards LPs for the 80’s vibe.

pahulkster

Reaction score
The problem with Kahlers was the garbage locking nut that nobody uses anymore

sell2792

Reaction score
The problem with Kahlers was the garbage locking nut that nobody uses anymore

Every Kahler equipped guitar that I’ve used from this century has a FR-style nut which solves that issues. The one exception was the US-made HM Strat I briefly owned which had a Kahler Spyder(?) and the Kahler locking nut/string guide. It actually worked decently well but I sold the guitar without changing string or even cleaning it for abut 4x what I paid at an antique store. I almost, almost regret not restoring it.