NGD: USA Jackson B7

• Thread starter SevenStringJones
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had this guitar for a week or two now, just formulate something more than a first impression and I've got to say, Jackson knocked it out of the park.

Playabilty: This guitar is a step above my Ibanez Prestige RG1527Z and that's saying something because I really enjoy the Ibby. Action is low and the 27" scale is perfect for tuning down a whole step and retaining the clarity and punch I want. My only gripe in this area would be the use of non-stainless frets. You would think that on a USA Jackson at these prices there would be some stainless frets.

Fit & Finish: The satin poly finish on this axe is fantastic, great choice by Jackson. There are no bumps or bubbles in the actual finish. There are a few carving marks in the alder but they cannot be felt nor are they obnoxious. The only factory flaw I found was where the beautiful ebony fingerboard meets the insanely gorgeous flamed maple top. There was a bit of glue, I assume from gluing the fingerboard on, left unwiped or sanded. Not a huge deal and in Jacksons defense, it is the exact same color as the maple top. I took a close up picture of the area.

Hardware: Jackson used their own proprietary bridge and tuners on these. The tuners do just fine holding the guitar in tune. The bridge is seemingly styled after a Hipshot and feels good to me. Not a Hipshot, but not a polished turd either.

Electronics: The Dimarzio D'Activators complement this guitar very well, I have no issue with them, but I will be trying a set of the Blackwater Guitars Neodymium pickups as soon as I wire them in. I would have already swapped them but I can't get the control cover off. Jackson seems to have pressed the damn thing in with an interference fit. I've never tried the Neodymiums so I figured I'd give them a try. Pots and output jack are average but the three way toggle in this guitar is a step above.

Construction: The construction of this guitar is superb, no seams or gaps are visible and every part of this guitar just oozes quality. The control cavity cover is even made of a painted metal. The heel, or lack there of, is excellent. Upper fret access FTW!

Overall
If you're looking for a high quality, gorgeous, baritone seven string axe get one of these. Seriously, do yourself a favor and get one.

On an unrelated note, my RG1527Z is for sale if anyone is interested.:lol:

If you haven't already guessed it I bought this used from another forum member which is why I didn't take into account the ding on the headstock.

And here's what you really came here for-the pron!

f08k3aq.jpg

gYveD75.jpg

MoKHZoT.jpg

IfFq5mQ.jpg

JXKDlb0.jpg

Here is the picture of the excess glue

hty7gUL.jpg

PtfGjC3.jpg

eQDcMOn.jpg

46675fq.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Happy NGD!

I'm a big Jackson fan. Sometimes they put out a lemon, but their USA-made stuff is pretty consistently awesome. It's really really hard to beat their "heel" on the neckthrough soloists for upper fret access. I mean, there practically isn't one!

Stainless steel frets would be nice for the pricetag, but overall that's a lot of win!

And... damn, that's a thick top.

Letuchy

Reaction score
HNGD! One of the best mass production sevenstring!

ev_o

Reaction score
Nice score, my friend! Interested to hear how the Black Water pickups sound.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
HNGD! One of the best mass production sevenstring!

Calling USA Jacksons mass produced is kind of misleading. They're literally made in the same shop as the custom stuff, by mostly the same people. They just make lots of the same models for the "production line." There are literally about 12 people in the shop :lol:

I agree though, it is one of the best looking production 7s on the market IMHO.

ev_o

Reaction score
Keep coming back to this and am still blown away by how thick that top is.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
Every time I see a Jackson B7 or Jackson Dka-7,I die a little more inside...

')