NGD - UV77GMC SuperUniverse

• Thread starter Eric
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
Here she is - the UV model that Ibanez never made but definately should have... my UV77GMC. Just got her all bolted and wired together.

P1010033-1.jpg

What you are looking at is a mahogany body cut to exact UVMC spec & GMC swirled as well as a 1991 UV7BK neck that had its old rosewood green dot neck replaced with a ebony fretboard with pearloid pyramid inlays. The body, finishing, and neckwork was done by ET Guitars Australia.

This is how she began...

EricsCustom1.jpg

EricsCustom3.jpg

EricsCustom2.jpg

Fresh out of the bucket...

Eric_GMC_front_upper_final.jpg

Eric_GMC_front_final.jpg

Eric_GMC_front_lower_final.jpg

Clearcoated...

Eric_GMC_cleared5.jpg

Eric_GMC_cleared3.jpg

Eric_GMC_cleared1.jpg

The neck...

Eric_neck_final6.jpg

Eric_neck_final3.jpg

Eric_neck_final5.jpg

Eric_neck_final4_rear.jpg

Just before she came to me...

Eric_GMC7_final6.jpg

Eric_GMC7_final2.jpg

Eric_GMC7_final3.jpg

Erics_GMC7_-_7.jpg

Erics_GMC7_-_6.jpg

And after I put her together...

P1010015.jpg

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1010026.jpg

P1010033.jpg

And the UV Family :)

P1010038.jpg

P1010037.jpg

EDIT:

I finished setting it up and got to play it for a few hours last night. I :wub: it. Got the action pretty low and it sang beautifully. Sounds great, feels great, looks great... couldn't ask for more. When I actually manage to put the thing down I can't stop looking it at - I think that will end up increasing my practice time :shred: So, since ET is a newer luthier, I figured I'd go ahead and do a review for you guys. NOTE: If you have questions pertaining to ETA or pricing, these are listed on ET's website: Home Page

Customer Service: 10/10

Ernie responded to my emails within the day - usually within less than 12 hours. He was 100% dedicated to making sure that I was completely satisfied with every aspect of the build and constantly sent me updates so I could watch the build from start to finish. Custom Service is a clear priority to ET Guitars.

Craftsmanship & Build Quality: 10/10

I was very impressed with the quality of the woods used in my GMC. ET also did a remarkable job on the inlays :yesway: The body was cut perfectly and is identical to my MC. The neck pocket fits incredibly snug, which is great. I actually had to open it up just a little bit so I could get it to fit comfortably which, by all means, is a great thing... I would much rather do that than have the neck fit too loose. Everything matches up pretty much perfectly.

Fretwork: 8.5/10

Note: Fretwork is graded on a scale relative to a J-Custom (10/10). After getting it set up, it plays great and I demand my action to be pretty low. I am very happy with the way that it feels, sounds, and rings out. When you look down the neck there are two frets that look slightly uneven so I deducted .5 for each of them. I also deducted .5 because it feels a little rough if you slide your thumb and middle finger own the sides of the fretboard.

Finishing: 8.5/10

I LOVE the swirl on this guitar. The paint looks absolutely amazing. It is actually a very, very vibrant green. The pictures look very washed out in comparison to how it looks in person. It is beautiful. Here I deducted .5 because there are a couple spots in the clearcoat that I wish were a little smoother to the touch, I took off another .5 for a few minor imperfections in the headstock paint, and I deducted another .5 just because I wish the clearcoat was a little thicker.

Overall Experience: 9.25/10

I love this guitar. It is unique, beautiful, and everything that I asked for. A GMC 7 was my dream guitar and I have it now thanks to ET Guitars. So -thank you for your patience and time Ernie, I'll take good care of her :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, to show you exactly what I was going for minus the inlays, handle, and woods:

GMC.jpg

Steve Vai's prototype JEM77GMC (photo taken from { The Official Steve Vai Website - Sound Theories Vol. I & II - OUT NOW! }). Unlike the production GMC's, Vai's has white instead of that strange silver color and has all green pickups instead of the alternating black/green.

What I got:

P1010033-1.jpg

P1010022.jpg

Works for me! :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
damn. about time.
ive been waiting to see this
you forgot to mention the headstock logo :lol:

Abhorred

Reaction score
Very impressive! It's certainly a different take on the "custom Ibanez" idea.

Got any super hi-res shots?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, glad to see she's FINALLY done :lol:

Definitely turned out killer :yesway:

BTW I forget, what pups did you end up putting in this?

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Deemed true. Glad you finally got it Eric.

:metal:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Love the headstock! Buy this guitar and you (yes YOU) can play just like The Eric Michael Gavel! :D

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
:woot: It's finished and doesn't she look cosy with the rest of the family.

I'm really happy for you Eric and can't wait for the review and clips, Awesome stuff. :metal:

SHREDTOKILL

LOW AND SLOW
Reaction score
stunning collections man!
shes a real beauty!
i wish i could put that much money into a guitar...I WOULD!

JesseTheMachine

Reaction score
The swirl on that guitar turned out beautifully, I wonder what it would look like with pink/red pickups though?

')