NGD: Vapula custom 8-str Empire Explorer

• Thread starter theGirthquake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theGirthquake

metalhead
Reaction score
I don't know how I managed to pry myself away from it long enough to make this post, but that's just how much y'all mean to me :hbang:

A few months ago I commissioned Peter Arnildstam of Vapula Guitars to build me a custom 8-string axe with one mission in mind: pure, unrelenting devastation. Here's the build thread; if you're interested take a skim through it, there's a little more info than I've given below.

The goods:
- Empire Explorer body
- 28" 8-string neck-through string-through
- Wenge neck
- Macassar ebony fret board
- Alder wings
- Walnut top
- Alder back veneer
- Black tusq nut
- Lundgren M8Cs, wired for series and parallel with push-pull pots
- Custom Jens Kidman Edition 8-str TOM bridge, recessed for straight neck
- Hipshot locking tuners, recessed
- Stainless steel frets
- 100% hand-made

Well, it arrived this morning. BEHOLD

Ka4wkvF.jpg

ODkUJll.jpg

s343ZRI.jpg

EcT0h2A.jpg

CTtOQe6.jpg

e8ELthN.jpg

rrKvPQ1.jpg

K5vMzVa.jpg

Wndo89F.jpg

iYkjiR3.jpg

GswNX9k.jpg

9ySP7QG.jpg

...it plays like a wet ....ing dream. I have played a few 8-strings, including Ibanez and Carvin, and while I don't have anything negative to say about either, this neck...good god this neck. Peter needs to patent this shape. It's amazing...it feels better than most of my 6-strings, plays fast and accurate. Also, wenge is an amazing wood. This whole guitar feels like a rock--it's about as tight and solid-feeling as I could have hoped for. Makes my set-neck '61 Gibson SG feel sloppy. It's balanced well, no neck dive, and while it's by no means a lightweight it's not oppressively heavy. I mean, it is a lot of wood.

And it is absolutely crushing. It is exactly what I wanted, tonally. It's fat, mean, and dark as hell. I was a little worried those Lundgrens were going to be a little delicate/pristine for the sound I wanted, but man is this combo RAW (in the best way possible). It just growls and screams and yet has this eerie clarity to it, it sounds so natural, like it's alive. I'm describing this terribly, but suffice it to say we hit the mark. It's got a ton of character.

Anyway, I can write a more detailed/objective review if wanted. I know there's been a lot of interest in Vapula on here but relatively little information, so I'm willing to share my experience once I can put this axe down for a few minutes. But let me say, as I've said before, that working with Peter has been an excellent experience. He puts a lot of time and soul into his art, and is very willing to work with you on every little detail. He's good people and a pleasure to work with, I have no regrets in choosing him to build my first true custom.

Now, back to playing... :shred:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lu...a-custom-8-string-build-progress-gallery.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Its like a game of tetris inside that case.

Also, 8 strings, long scale, explorer? Damn that things is huge!

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
That is one of the coolest guitars I have ever seen. The build looks immaculate! Would love to read a more in depth review when you have had it for a while and can put it down for long enough to write.

Very jealous.

HNGD!

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Hot ....ing damn!

You've gotten very, very, close to my dream guitar here, and I'm insanely jealous. Quick question, does the top come through better in person than in the pics? I quickly went through your build thread and dang that thing looks great, it'd be borderline criminal for a piece that good to be hard to see!

Congratulations, that's a legitimately awesome guitar you have there!

Vapula? More like Fapula.

petervindel

Reaction score
I'm close to putting down a deposit for him to build me an Iceman-8!

Great guitar man, hope it brings you endless joy ;)

kaaka

Reaction score
This guitar looks very symmetrical and nice like an original explorer even tough it has 8-strings. I had to count the strings to see if it wasn't a 7 string :D

theGirthquake

metalhead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words and HNGDs, everyone :hbang:

Its like a game of tetris inside that case.

Also, 8 strings, long scale, explorer? Damn that things is huge!

Hahah yeah there aren't exactly any production cases to fit this guitar, so modular Gator it is...

Carl Kolchak said:
TOM bridge ftw!

Hell yes!!! I mentioned this in the build thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Since at the time (and possibly still?) of part sourcing for this there was no production 8-string TOM bridge in existence, Peter asked Jens Kidman for the last one he had left from his custom ABM line...and Jens sent it. Thus, my axe now has a little piece of metal history bolted right on it!

Go To Bed Jessica said:
That is one of the coolest guitars I have ever seen. The build looks immaculate! Would love to read a more in depth review when you have had it for a while and can put it down for long enough to write.

Very jealous.

HNGD!

Thank you! I'll certainly do that, just give me a few days to really put some time in with it.

Shimme said:
Hot ....ing damn!

You've gotten very, very, close to my dream guitar here, and I'm insanely jealous. Quick question, does the top come through better in person than in the pics? I quickly went through your build thread and dang that thing looks great, it'd be borderline criminal for a piece that good to be hard to see!

Congratulations, that's a legitimately awesome guitar you have there!

Vapula? More like Fapula.

You have great taste then :lol:

Yes, up close and in light the walnut grain is still visible, I'd say that picture of the body outside on the glass patio table is pretty representative, if you can imagine it without the glare I couldn't avoid and some smudges and crap from me manhandling it. It is intentionally dark...I love a nice woody guitar but that's not what this one is about.

petervindel said:
I'm close to putting down a deposit for him to build me an Iceman-8!

Great guitar man, hope it brings you endless joy ;)

Nice, and thank you! I'm glad to hear that, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with...you ironed out any more specifics on what you want?

')