NGD Very late but still Ibanez Prestige 1527 With custom body

AlexMg

Ibanez Maniac
Reaction score
i own the guitar for a year already, 1527 necks are one if not the best necks i have ever played in my life.
Pickups: Nazgul/Sentient set
Body: Custom 100+ years aged Walnut top with maple pieces and multiple piece back (Walnut/maple/walnut/maple/walnut)
SI8aamV

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the link to OP's picture: https://imgur.com/SI8aamV

@OP: 2 things:

1) Imgur doesn't work on SSO period unless you jump through hoops. This is Imgur's doing, not this site.
2) Hotlink didn't work because you linked to the album in your IMG tag, not the picture itself with the file extension.

bzhang9

Reaction score
Just put a fancy top and every $500 used prestige is basically a J custom

AlexMg

Ibanez Maniac
Reaction score
ill try to post sound samples too! the walnut is a bit bass heavy, and the string gauge currently on the guitar is a bit too loose on the lower strings, ill use 8 string set without the heaviest one to tune it to Drop A

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Doesn’t J Customs have a different carve and different finish?

Not really. I have not noticed any difference in the neck carves, regardless of level of price. It's always the super thin flat style or the wider style. The only difference in those it seems is where the shoulders are rounded. I've owned many J-Customs over the years and they play and feel no different than a Prestige, imo.
-What you're paying for I think is more attention to detail like wood selection, higher priced woods, maybe a little better job on fret ends and some more hand fit and finish work, and of course, sometimes a fancy inlay. I still own and have owned many rg7620's over the years as well, I don't own any J-Custom's any more. I don't see the justification for the price. I'd rather buy a Prestige (or several) or lower line, and customize it for way less money and end up with a better instrument that is more personalized / customized too. Just an opinion.

i own the guitar for a year already, 1527 necks are one if not the best necks i have ever played in my life.
Pickups: Nazgul/Sentient set
Body: Custom 100+ years aged Walnut top with maple pieces and multiple piece back (Walnut/maple/walnut/maple/walnut)
SI8aamV

May I ask, who did this work/ top for you? I may be interested in a retop in the future. I want to get rid of the arm contour and change the knob locations, the only things that really annoy me with most guitars.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Not really. I have not noticed any difference in the neck carves, regardless of level of price. It's always the super thin flat style or the wider style. The only difference in those it seems is where the shoulders are rounded. I've owned many J-Customs over the years and they play and feel no different than a Prestige, imo.
-What you're paying for I think is more attention to detail like wood selection, higher priced woods, maybe a little better job on fret ends and some more hand fit and finish work, and of course, sometimes a fancy inlay. I still own and have owned many rg7620's over the years as well, I don't own any J-Custom's any more. I don't see the justification for the price. I'd rather buy a Prestige (or several) or lower line, and customize it for way less money and end up with a better instrument that is more personalized / customized too. Just an opinion.

May I ask, who did this work/ top for you? I may be interested in a retop in the future. I want to get rid of the arm contour and change the knob locations, the only things that really annoy me with most guitars.

Hey thanks for the answer! I’ve been wondering about their Velvetouch neck finish for a while. Good to know it’s mostly marketing and doesn’t feel different than a Prestige.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the answer! I’ve been wondering about their Velvetouch neck finish for a while. Good to know it’s mostly marketing and doesn’t feel different than a Prestige.
All these years and somehow I've never heard the term Velvetouch. Some necks are gloss and some are satin type for sure. I prefer satin/ unfinished over gloss feel personally. My rg7620 is a gloss and the J -customs were all satin type. I also had an rg2027x with a satin type. That feel is nicer to me, but with the gloss on my 7620 all I did was take a sanding sponge and go over it a littel bit to make it smooth. After time the gloss sticky comes back, then just clean it off and lightly sand again. Over a few time of this it just goes away but still has it in the deep grain to protect it too. That's not a a big deal really. They are different in that way. I was describing more profile in the previous post. Sorry I forgot to mention those aspects.

Latest posts

')