NGD: VHT/Fryette (Axe-FX vid to follow)

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
After about two years of listening to so many people sing the praises about one poweramp...I had to check it out for myself. I went back and forth for the last two years between my stubbornness about loving EL34s...and all of the incredible reviews that came with the big brother of the EL34 poweramp. I really haven't ever fell in love with KT88s in the past. There was just something about the tone that didn't scream DEATH METAL to me. However, part of growing up is learning to accept advice from others, so that's exactly what I did.

and........

Gear015-1.jpg

Yay...no peanuts

Gear016-1.jpg

....and now

Gear017-1.jpg

Immediately....I'm impressed. I am RARELY impressed with a piece of equipment anymore. I've owned an unreal amount of equipment at this point. I figured I'd seen and played it all. Downside? This thing is stupid heavy. I'm really glad that the Axe-Fx is incredibly light. I'd hate the idea of cramming the VHT and an ENGL SE preamp into a rack together. Weight aside, the sound is amazing. The video that's uploading as I type is crap. I wish I had an interface, so that I could do a proper demo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Nice! Now all you need is an E570, and your journey to the dark side will be complete.

vader.gif

All of the points you noted are exactly how I felt about my 2/90/2 - being impressed when almost nothing impresses me at this point, and the thing being excruciatingly heavy, especially considering the size ... but worth it :tmm: At least it has face-handles.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
Found vid. Also, seventstring Auto-Embeds. Just copy and paste the whole link into the message box and it'll embed for you. At least, it has for me.

Also, your tone certainly has teh br00tulz. That a xiphos 7?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Found vid. Also, seventstring Auto-Embeds. Just copy and paste the whole link into the message box and it'll embed for you. At least, it has for me.

Like so (let me know if you want me to remove this):

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Also, your tone certainly has teh br00tulz. That a xiphos 7?

That's not quite MY tone yet. Too fizzy compared to what I'm used to. I have quite a bit of tweaking ahead of me.

It's a 6 string Xiphos. I have two XPT700FXs and a XPT700HX. All my gitfiddles are 6ers. My fingers are way too short for another string.

ykcirj

Reaction score
Larrikin666 I was wondering which vader you you prefer? The 212 or the 412's. Which is tighter in your opinion?

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
The 2/90/2 I have is the old old model, and it weighs like 40-45 lbs or so :lol:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Have you played any of the ENGL power amps with the Axe? That was the route I had intended to go, but I may change my mind.

I've seen one ENGL poweramp for sale in all the years I've been playing guitar. I've honestly never heard of anyone really using them. They might be the greatest thing on the planet, but I really have no info to support or deny that. I assure you that you'll be thrilled if you decide to pick up a 2/90/2 though. It's unreal.

')