NGD: VHT/Fryette (Axe-FX vid to follow)

Reaction score
I've seen one ENGL poweramp for sale in all the years I've been playing guitar. I've honestly never heard of anyone really using them. They might be the greatest thing on the planet, but I really have no info to support or deny that. I assure you that you'll be thrilled if you decide to pick up a 2/90/2 though. It's unreal.

Yeah, they're pretty damn rare, and new ones are extremely expensive. I've got a lead on an older one, so I may go that route. If not, I'm definitely gonna go the VHT route.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man :yesway:

I bought a new 2/90/2 from Zimbloth, and it is the shizznittobam in tandem with my Axe. I may have a vid up soon with it being properly mic'd up here pretty soon. :)

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score
Also, how do you have your power amp set? I have mine with the voicing switch "out" and pres and depth turned all the way off. I find using the pres and depth within the Axe serves me better.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I have the voicing switch in, presence at 9 o'clock, and the depth at 11 o'clock. I actually prefer the VHT for tweaking those areas.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
As an Axe owner, this is very relevant to my interests.

as one with huge Axe Fx GAS, this is relevant to MY interests.

from what I'm hearing, it sounds like you're boosting the recto model? It reminds me of my Roadster- but fizzier (like you said). Keep on tweeking, and congratz! :shred:

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Yeah. It's a trick that was mentioned in a previous post using a boost and a filter in front of the amp. The fizz seems to come from the filter, so I'll probably trying removing that and see how the tone changes.

shredfreak

Reaction score
Yeah, they're pretty damn rare, and new ones are extremely expensive. I've got a lead on an older one, so I may go that route. If not, I'm definitely gonna go the VHT route.

Extremely expensive??? :scratch:
ENGL is actually the cheapest 50/50 poweramp available atm over here ...

They are extremely rare (never seen one used) though even over here, Definatly isn't the price me thinks...

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Extremely expensive??? :scratch:
ENGL is actually the cheapest 50/50 poweramp available atm over here ...

They are extremely rare (never seen one used) though even over here, Definatly isn't the price me thinks...

They're manufactured in Germany... they're more expensive in the US (where the poster is). The E-840 2x50 is ~$1450 here.

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
Yeah. It's a trick that was mentioned in a previous post using a boost and a filter in front of the amp. The fizz seems to come from the filter, so I'll probably trying removing that and see how the tone changes.

Sweet! Please do report your findings. Maybe another video once you nail that tasty tone? :yum:

shredfreak

Reaction score
They're manufactured in Germany... they're more expensive in the US (where the poster is). The E-840 2x50 is ~$1450 here.

990€ over here for that one (~$1325) (~$2150 for the 2x100)so not really that great of a difference. yet you see mesa 90/90 (~$2800) & marshall (~$1700) a hellovalot more.

I've encountered the first engl poweramp ever actually this week. there's a 35/35 one for sale in a store in town, other then that they're pretty much not to be seen at all.

Only thing i can think of is that the second hand market is over saturated in a way with poweramps since they are practically not sold at all anymore. high end mesa (295 & 90/90) & marshall poweramps sell for even less then the 50/50 engl.

')