NGD: Xolo custom guitars Xolotl 8 string

• Thread starter kriff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
First, a pic:

Capture.PNG

This popped up on FB Marketplace a few months back, which was very interesting to me as I'd had my eye on Xolo guitars for a while, but never been willing to give them a try as prices start at $2700 and I had no way to try before I committed to that, seeing as they're in Mexico and I'm in England. This was sat for a few months apparently getting no interest and eventually the price fell enough that (having just moved something on) I was willing to take a punt on it. It ended up being only a couple hundred quid more than the "performance series" (ie cheapo) Legator 8 string I bought a few years back.

Well, it arrived this week and honestly it is so gorgeous in person. Just stunning. Here are the specs:

26"-27.5" multiscale
16"-20" radius
Master grade myrtle burl top
Neck-through
Walnut (Nogal) wings
Walnut, Cocobolo, mahogany 5p neck
Ziricote fretboard
Evo Gold frets
Concentric volume/tone + 5 way
Elysian Trident II pickups
Xolo PD neck
Signed on the back by a band I'm not familiar with

It plays beautifully even though it could do with a setup, which I'll do once I get a new pair of strings on it and the neck has settled. The pickups sound immense as well, really clear and articulate, and with a nice punch & bite. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed not having an 8 string since I'd moved the last one on!

The Xolo PD neck is interesting too, it's a bit like Strandberg's Endurneck but not as pronounced and not as angular. So the neck is quite thick at the 1st fret, slimming as it goes along, and with an angle that guides your thumb (although not as much as the Endurneck). I think I prefer the Endurneck, just about, but this is still lovely. The join between the neck and the body is also really nicely done, it feels really smooth and natural.

So, all in all, super pleased with this. A few more pics:

1723135827495.png

1723135868511.png

1723136125941.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Glad to see one of these show up on the forum, I really love the different body shapes for all their models and general aesthetic. How do you like the concentric knobs so far? I have them on 1 of my guitars and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it does free up a little real estate.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Glad to see one of these show up on the forum, I really love the different body shapes for all their models and general aesthetic. How do you like the concentric knobs so far? I have them on 1 of my guitars and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it does free up a little real estate.
Thanks! I don't think I feel strongly about the concentric knob, I like the aesthetic of just one control, but it's quite large. Utility wise it's not really any different, I don't tend to use volume or control knobs regularly at all. I wonder if that'll change over time.

')