NGD: Xolo custom guitars Xolotl 8 string

• Thread starter kriff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
First, a pic:

Capture.PNG

This popped up on FB Marketplace a few months back, which was very interesting to me as I'd had my eye on Xolo guitars for a while, but never been willing to give them a try as prices start at $2700 and I had no way to try before I committed to that, seeing as they're in Mexico and I'm in England. This was sat for a few months apparently getting no interest and eventually the price fell enough that (having just moved something on) I was willing to take a punt on it. It ended up being only a couple hundred quid more than the "performance series" (ie cheapo) Legator 8 string I bought a few years back.

Well, it arrived this week and honestly it is so gorgeous in person. Just stunning. Here are the specs:

26"-27.5" multiscale
16"-20" radius
Master grade myrtle burl top
Neck-through
Walnut (Nogal) wings
Walnut, Cocobolo, mahogany 5p neck
Ziricote fretboard
Evo Gold frets
Concentric volume/tone + 5 way
Elysian Trident II pickups
Xolo PD neck
Signed on the back by a band I'm not familiar with

It plays beautifully even though it could do with a setup, which I'll do once I get a new pair of strings on it and the neck has settled. The pickups sound immense as well, really clear and articulate, and with a nice punch & bite. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed not having an 8 string since I'd moved the last one on!

The Xolo PD neck is interesting too, it's a bit like Strandberg's Endurneck but not as pronounced and not as angular. So the neck is quite thick at the 1st fret, slimming as it goes along, and with an angle that guides your thumb (although not as much as the Endurneck). I think I prefer the Endurneck, just about, but this is still lovely. The join between the neck and the body is also really nicely done, it feels really smooth and natural.

So, all in all, super pleased with this. A few more pics:

1723135827495.png

1723135868511.png

1723136125941.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Happy NGD! Glad to see one of these show up on the forum, I really love the different body shapes for all their models and general aesthetic. How do you like the concentric knobs so far? I have them on 1 of my guitars and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it does free up a little real estate.

kriff

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Glad to see one of these show up on the forum, I really love the different body shapes for all their models and general aesthetic. How do you like the concentric knobs so far? I have them on 1 of my guitars and I'm not sure I'd do it again, but it does free up a little real estate.
Thanks! I don't think I feel strongly about the concentric knob, I like the aesthetic of just one control, but it's quite large. Utility wise it's not really any different, I don't tend to use volume or control knobs regularly at all. I wonder if that'll change over time.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That's cool. I wanted that Halo model that popped up on Reverb a few weeks ago, but same thing - no way could I rationalize $3500 for that one. Someone else apparently did, though, lol. But still, I'd like to try one of these some day.

Xolo Custom Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey dude! Gabo here, founder and designer of Xolo. This is my first post in sevenstring.org of hopefully many.

Great to see that that Xolotl has a new home. I had a hard time letting that one go as it has been one of the most beautiful instruments we've made.

The signatures in the back are from a band called Glass Mind. They are a Mexican progressive metal instrumental band and the original owner of that guitar loves them, so I got it signed for him.

That PD neck in that one is from our Gen 1 design, we are on Gen 2 now which retains the asymmetrical shape but overall it is rounder without a central flat surface. My philosophy for the Gen 2 design was that most people have a hard time adjusting from traditional round shapes to asymmetrical shapes, particularly when flat surfaces and sharp edges are involved. So I wanted to find a middle ground for future Xolo models.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hey dude! Gabo here, founder and designer of Xolo. This is my first post in sevenstring.org of hopefully many.

Great to see that that Xolotl has a new home. I had a hard time letting that one go as it has been one of the most beautiful instruments we've made.

The signatures in the back are from a band called Glass Mind. They are a Mexican progressive metal instrumental band and the original owner of that guitar loves them, so I got it signed for him.

That PD neck in that one is from our Gen 1 design, we are on Gen 2 now which retains the asymmetrical shape but overall it is rounder without a central flat surface. My philosophy for the Gen 2 design was that most people have a hard time adjusting from traditional round shapes to asymmetrical shapes, particularly when flat surfaces and sharp edges are involved. So I wanted to find a middle ground for future Xolo models.
Hey Gabo, welcome! Love your designs; too bad Xolo's are hard to find in the wild in the US as I'd love to get my hands on one to check out!

Xolo Custom Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey Gabo, welcome! Love your designs; too bad Xolo's are hard to find in the wild in the US as I'd love to get my hands on one to check out!
Most of my sales are to the US, but there aren’t many around for trade/resale.

I also work for D’Addario as their strings Product Manager as of 2024 so I am planning to release some “Designed in Mexico, made in the USA” runs down the line and see how I can get something more available to try stateside (starting in NYC as I will be there quite a lot) and summers in SoCal in San Diego. This is all future state

jco5055

Reaction score
Most of my sales are to the US, but there aren’t many around for trade/resale.

I also work for D’Addario as their strings Product Manager as of 2024 so I am planning to release some “Designed in Mexico, made in the USA” runs down the line and see how I can get something more available to try stateside (starting in NYC as I will be there quite a lot) and summers in SoCal in San Diego. This is all future state
I’m in Brooklyn so if you could have something around d’addario’s office or even the music zoo that would be great (wishful thinking)

Xolo Custom Guitars

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m in Brooklyn so if you could have something around d’addario’s office or even the music zoo that would be great (wishful thinking)
Right on! I am already setting myself up in NYC and I will be residing in Brooklyn for at least a year. I should be back in NYC in September, we can connect then and I can show you some of the stuff I have with me (2 seven strings, 1 8 string).

jco5055

Reaction score
Right on! I am already setting myself up in NYC and I will be residing in Brooklyn for at least a year. I should be back in NYC in September, we can connect then and I can show you some of the stuff I have with me (2 seven strings, 1 8 string).
Awesome, looking forward to it!

kriff

Reaction score

Thanks for the post! Really appreciate the extra info and I am absolutely loving the guitar. I feel quite honoured to have such an instrument.

Any tips for set ups would be welcome :) gonna put some lighter strings on it soon and the action is a little high so will take that down slightly.

I have also been checking out Glass Mind, I am a big fan now 🤘

')