NGD: Yamaha RGX420s-Drop6

lost_horizon

Reaction score
New Guitar Day!

Saw this RGX420s-Drop6 pop up on ebay for $120 AUD had to grab it!
Capture3.JPG

26.25inch scale
Jumbo Frets
Alnico 5 Humbuckers
5 way switch
Maple Neck
Alder Body
Rosewood (?) Fingerboard
14 inch fretboard radius

Capture4.JPG

Was missing the trem arm and backplate but apart from that all there

Neck is maple and the flaming is unreal. This was the last years of the Taiwan factory so they were possibly running down the stocks. I have seen more than one of these with amazing flamed necks.
Capture7.JPG

Has the height adjustable locking nut
Capture5.JPG

Pickup selections below, love position 2 and 4 especially for clean. Sounds like a tele in position 4. Also noiseless so hum free in that position.
Capture.JPG

This is the original string specs. D'Addario doesn't make them anymore as they were only for this model so will have to order from string joy or the Elixir 7 string set to get close.
Capture2.JPG

I have strung it up with Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky", put tung oil on the neck to bring out the grain and polished the frets. Had to use all 3 springs to get the tension right. I prefer only 2 springs. This bridge has a 37mm compact Brass block and stays in tune pretty well. All my guitars have trems and I will be putting a Goeldo backbox/ESP Arming Adjuster/Tremory on here for trouble free tuning.
Capture8.JPG

Neck all oiled up
Capture9.JPG

Maybe change pickups? Nothing wrong with them but i have about 20 humbuckers, maybe a Suhr DSH+? Ragnarok?
Capture10.JPG

Sad when most of my pickups cost more than this guitar :'(
This is an under rated model with many great features. I could gig with it and it would stand up.

Something that has bothered me is the screws after 20 years have started to corrode. 2 are dead in the pickup surrounds as were the trem screws. Easily fixed though.

Funny story I found 1 brand new for sale in Bulgaria! Couldn't make shipping work.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

makesexnotwar

Reaction score
I had similar guitar in different color a while ago but sold it. It a great instrument and sometimes I miss one that I sold. Congrats!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I can't stand those strings, the unwound 24 was too much of a problem for me, really. It's too bad because with a wound 24 it would be an excellent set.
Happy NGD otherwise. :)

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I had one of those, killer guitar. Great neck, and the stock pickups were surprisingly good.

The “blower switch” is really cool, too. Dial in a weird in-between pickup setting for cleans, hit that switch and it’s bridge humbucker straight to the output.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
Guy I know had one of these and I always thought it was a waaaay better guitar than the price tag (even new).

Always on the lookout for one to show up on a discount. I think Yamaha are the best bang for the buck guitars out there, or at least they were until the likes of harley benton upped their game drastically.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Super cool, congrats!!!!!

I can't stand those strings, the unwound 24 was too much of a problem for me, really. It's too bad because with a wound 24 it would be an excellent set.
Happy NGD otherwise. :)
EB is releasing the Magnum set which is the exact same but a 22w instead of the 24p----and its about time!

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
this is a nice scale length. I think fgn also still makes a few guitars in this scale length. props to Yamaha for not calling this a baritone.

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
this is a nice scale length. I think fgn also still makes a few guitars in this scale length. props to Yamaha for not calling this a baritone.
FGN are close, a lot of their 6 string "baritone" guitars are actually 664mm or 26.1". I have one and adore it

Zhysick

Reaction score
Great one! I used to have a "normal" one (so a 25.5") and the neck profile was AMAZING. No Wizard I have tried (and are many) were as comfortable as this one... yeah, this is subjective and I hate Wizard necks so maybe that's not an amazing thing... but for a flat, thin, ultra fast neck this blows up any Ibanez for me.

The Ty Tabor signature was amazing, I tried to get one but was a student back then... maybe I should look for one now... NO! Fuck GAS...

Latest posts

')