NGD!

• Thread starter Imalwayscold
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imalwayscold

Is actually warm
Reaction score
Yay! NGD!

After visiting the local guitar dealer in the search of a backup for my MTM2 (which is by far my favourite workhorse guitar). I came across at the back of the store yet another MTM2 that had hardly ever been touched!

Not much else really caught my eye in there and as I love my current MTM2 so much it seemed the logical step for a simple beater and backup axe. After querying about it and having an extensive play around, they agreed to do a part exchange for my Ibanez JS100. Which I had not played in 5 or so years and was beyond my repair skills. So for spending £0 I walked out with a guitar that I would play and was already comfortable with.

Anyway enough babbling, onto the pics! (which arn't great, its snowing outside so I took them in the most lit place of the house!)

(Truss rod is just turned around for the moment untill I get another, SEVEN really isn't my thing :) )
pic1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic4.jpg

Last but not least I also had a recent but simple mod of getting some white EMTY's in the other MTM2. I'm loving the sound of them!

pic5.jpg

Family shot!

pic6.jpg

And before you ask no, I'm not a Mick Thompson ultra fanboy, I just very much enjoy his signature (the wood combo, lack of inlays and reverse headstock plus the playability) and with a simple tweak it doesn't really look too much like his anymore in my eyes :)

I'll be modding it in the near future, first thing to go will be those horrid V pickups. Any suggestions? I was considering the EMG-X series but I havn't had a great deal of experience with them unfortunatly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shashing

Reaction score
My god. Not a fan of slipknot at all but that just gave me major gas. Congrats you lucky SOB :lol:

maxdgad

Reaction score
nice. I love my mtm2

CIMG3781.jpg

CIMG3785.jpg

The neck is actually finished under the paint. I sanded it off a couple weeks ago (320-600 grit) and it plays more like mij now.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
I have an MTM2 myself. It is by far my favorite. Nice score

potatohead

Reaction score
I like these things too... Great find. No inlays and reversed headstock = win

UltraParanoia

Reaction score
Incredible looking guitars! The black is Metal but the white is incredible!!

How do the Duncan's sound? I've never played with them before.
If there would be an Ibanez that gives me serious gas, its this

Imalwayscold

Is actually warm
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys, the new one went too band rehersal last night and went through some extreme testing. It actually held up and played wonderfully. Which gives me even bigger incentive to upgrade the pups!
I didn't notice at first (I must of been too excited!) but the black one is incredibly lighter compared too the white. The white one is weighing in at 10lbs! I know there was a discussion with alot of people saying the MTM2 not weighing alot but it must be the older models, because compared to the black one the white feels like a whole other guitar!

Incredible looking guitars! The black is Metal but the white is incredible!!

How do the Duncan's sound? I've never played with them before.
If there would be an Ibanez that gives me serious gas, its this

Thanks man, the white does have a classy look I must agree!
Compared to normal blackouts, the low ends seem to have alot more clarity and the highs really have a punch too them. They also seem more hotter then the EMG-1 my lead guitarist has in his guitars bridge. I'll try and record some sound comparisons asap!

Thats a great looking guitar maxdgad! WHat are the passives in it if you dont mind me asking?

german7

Reaction score
Congrats!! MTM2 its also favourite workhorse guitar, specially the white one, but is really difficult to get in Argentina :(

Tristoner7

Reaction score
Congrats, funny thing is when ever I'm at home practicing, etc. the first guitar I grab is my MTM2.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Nice score man, I've been considering selling / trading my Yngwie strat for an MTM1, as I've played a few MTM2s and loved them, thought I might aswell go in for the premium version as I love the red finish.

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
Loooove those white pickups. If you change them, make sure to keep them white. :cool:
You wanna go actives when you swap them? White EMGs look soo slick, even though I'm not a huge fan of the sound. Dunno if they make white blackouts or not...Whiteouts? :lol: [/bad joke]

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Beautiful!!!! I did the same thing with my rgt42dx in white, loved it so much and found out it was only available in the u.s. In 2 finishes. So I tracked down a black pearl used and ordered it right up. Your guitars look great and I'm sold now on white blackouts!! Thanks for sharing

jalmetalman

Reaction score
Congrats! They're great guitars! I used to own both a black and white mtm2 and a red mtm1...

4502786650_c69cc562ed_z.jpg
4369497497_c9d78a08c3_z.jpg

Kawrn

Reaction score
Could someone compare previous and newer version of the MTM2 ?

jalmetalman

Reaction score
Could someone compare previous and newer version of the MTM2 ?

I can! :hbang: my black mtm2 was an older version than my white one... As i can remember, the white one felt heavier... the black (older) one was better in quality/ finish. As for the stock pickups, although the white could get a better 'heavy' tone, the back one had pretty nice cleans imo with the v8's and the 5 way switch but it still could get a decent heavy tone... is there anything in particular you want to know? :)

Kawrn

Reaction score
Yes, particulary the new pickups: are they better ? I had the previous one and didn't like the V8, no balls, poor definition imho.

For luthery and hardware I think they're the same but you can always find different tones in same models.

You could edit your thread title with MTM2, good infos and pics if someone searching after this model.

Imalwayscold

Is actually warm
Reaction score
jalmetalman pretty much hit the nail on the head regarding the main difference :agreed: (nice guitars by the way man :D). The two I have now are an older and newer model. The main difference I can notice (aside from the weight) is that the white is alot better built than the black. The black just feels marginarily cheaper in my hands. :scratch: Obviously the newer models only have a 3way as opposed to a 5 and there's a battery compartment in the back (which was nice for when I swapped it to another active).

Regarding the pickups, the V7 and V8, as previously stated, do suprisingly nice cleans. But for all that is holy I cannot get a decent gain tone out of them. The Duncan HB-105MT, while it has the qualitys of a more expensive active (and the tone is not that much different then the actual EMTYs that are in there now), it sounded pretty muddy and a bit 'fizzy'.

I know those are vague statements but I hope they help slightly :)

Latest posts

')