NGDx2 Airis Liverkick preamp and DOD Boneshaker Distortion

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I've never been a huge pedal freak ( I pretty much just used a ts8 and my digitech multieffects pedal for years) but these are pretty fun pedals. I've had these a few week now and enjoy both but have to say that they're both situational, though the liverkick is a bit more versatile as far as metal styles it can be used with. Both are true bypass, full metal chassis. The liverkick is cord powered only (no 9v batteries). Boneshaker can take 9v battery or cord powered 9v adapter.
DOD Boneshaker: 3 band eq and you can control the frequency sweep, which allows you to get anywhere from a thick sludgy sound all the way to fuzz and cocked wah territory depending on how you set the eq sweep. It can work as a tubescreamer style pedal but it wasn't really meant for it, nor does it shine as a clean boost imo. If you want a good thick doom/sludge/stoner rock tone this pedal nails it. The only thing that I don't really like is if you wanted to run it on a 9v, you have to unscrew the back to access the battery connector.
I really dig this pedal, especially since I got it when harman was running their sale for 40$ :D
8FPKDjz%20-%20Imgur_zpsndmbfyha.jpg

dod_zpsja2jp6vm.jpg

Airis Liverkick: So I took this apart to see the board, and it's a board from the site Rullywow called the chuggapre. As the name suggests, this is based off Meshuggah's TC preamp. You could probably build your own clone for pretty cheap since the board is only 10$. This is one of Airis' designs that actually is just someone else's board in rich's housing, but I don't care since I wanted to try it. :shrug:
Works well for cutting or boosting low end or high end. The low end control is what I play with the most and when you cut low end it definitely helps tighten up the overall sound of the amp a bit. If you boost the low end it can do a thicker sludgy tone, though it doesn't color the overall sound as much as the boneshaker. The treble boost/cut is really amp dependent/guitar dependent. Through my boogie f30, it was completely unnecessary to boost treble as my guitars are relatively bright, so I used it more to cut treble. Overall I like the liverkick and I'll keep using it, though I don't think it's worth the money if you can build your own pedals (I'm not really ready to dive down that rabbit hole lol). It does exactly what it says it does, no bull, no frills.
15q2f7l.jpg

10rn7us.jpg

r77gv8.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
Cool info on the LiverKick. I almost bought one last month. Went with the Mesa 5 band eq pedal... but will still probably pick one up. Looks/sounds like a more tweakable version of the Fortin Grind pedal.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Pretty cool, I've been wondering what the liverkick is like. With my TC Electronic Integrated Pre, I think it sounds best when cutting bottom and boosting volume, but generally leaving treble at noon, or close to noon. Sounds like this is about the same. With the treble control it can get really brittle really fast. Probably good for really dark amps, but I don't have any dark amps to try it on.

I imagine there must be some changes from the original as I think it runs on 9 volts (?) and my original Integrated Preamp sounds like ass at 9 volts.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Pretty cool, I've been wondering what the liverkick is like. With my TC Electronic Integrated Pre, I think it sounds best when cutting bottom and boosting volume, but generally leaving treble at noon, or close to noon. Sounds like this is about the same. With the treble control it can get really brittle really fast. Probably good for really dark amps, but I don't have any dark amps to try it on.

I imagine there must be some changes from the original as I think it runs on 9 volts (?) and my original Integrated Preamp sounds like ass at 9 volts.

I don't really mess with the treble too much as it's a bit overwhelming with my 8 strings or my dc600 (which is bright as hell). It definitely plays well with boogies though. I just tried it through my friends dual rec and it really tightens it up.
It has a voltage doubler so it runs at 9v, but actually sounds like 18v.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I don't really mess with the treble too much as it's a bit overwhelming with my 8 strings or my dc600 (which is bright as hell). It definitely plays well with boogies though. I just tried it through my friends dual rec and it really tightens it up.
It has a voltage doubler so it runs at 9v, but actually sounds like 18v.

Ah that makes sense. I run mine with an old 19v laptop charger, and it sounds great.