NGDx2 +NPD+ test clip! (Lace,Ibanez,Fender content)

• Thread starter Bboren
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
Howdy guys! I've recently acquired a couple of new guitars that I'd like to show you!

First up is my Ibanez RGA8 8 string. I've had one before that had Aftermaths in it but it was traded for a RG1527z. I found this one on craigslist in perfect condition, too cheap to pass up so I picked it up! I also just recently installed the new Lace X-bar and Deathbar pickups in it which are unbelievable!

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2495.jpg

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

I made up a little test clip for these pickups because they sound so good. I would choose these over the Aftermaths any day of the week. They sound great with anything you throw at them, and notes ring out clearer than I've ever heard! It even sounds like an acoustic plugged in if I don't use a cab sim on my Axe Fx.

Lace X-bar/Deathbar 4.0" test - Demiurge-Meshuggah by Operation Meteor on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Next up is my new Fender Blacktop baritone tele! I've always wanted a tele and I couldn't resist this one when I saw it in our local music shop! It feels and plays great although I'm sure I'll be swapping the pickups on this one soon also.

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
Those Lace pups sound absolutely fantastic! Was that clip just the Deathbar, or both? I'm jealous of the chrome covers, I chose black trying to match my hardware but the chrome Lace's stand out so much more. They also look a lot more futuristic like that.

How does the X-Bar sound in the neck? Does it give you a neck P90 kind of middy-bell sound? Props for suggesting no cab with the Axe - just tried that and the X-Bar really does sound like an acoustic.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Dude that looks gorgeous! Did those Lace pickups fit perfectly into the EMG sized housing?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
^I can hear what you're thinking from here :lol:

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
Both sounds and looks are a huge improvement over the stock pups man. Congrats!

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
This really isn't helping me decide between an X-Bar and a Deathbucker for the bridge of my project 8 :lol:

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
Those Lace pups sound absolutely fantastic! Was that clip just the Deathbar, or both? I'm jealous of the chrome covers, I chose black trying to match my hardware but the chrome Lace's stand out so much more. They also look a lot more futuristic like that.

How does the X-Bar sound in the neck? Does it give you a neck P90 kind of middy-bell sound? Props for suggesting no cab with the Axe - just tried that and the X-Bar really does sound like an acoustic.

I took a chance with chrome and it turned out looking awesome! The clean part was with the X-bar and the meshuggah part was with the Deathbar. I honestly could've tracked that meshuggah bit with the x-bar in the neck though. That thing handles distortion very well and makes it sound like a single coil when going through heavy patches.

I honestly haven't messed with p90s much so I couldn't tell you how close it sounds to them, but the x-bar is very clear and bright in the neck much like a single coil. It picks up the low strings very well on clean patches and is one of my favorite neck position pickups I've ever heard.

Dude that looks gorgeous! Did those Lace pickups fit perfectly into the EMG sized housing?

I'm guessing you mean the EMG sized routes? Yes, the 4.0" bars fit emg 808 sized routes perfectly. The 3.5" fit the 707 sized routes and the 4.5 fit active 9 string sized routes.

This really isn't helping me decide between an X-Bar and a Deathbucker for the bridge of my project 8 :lol:

I'm definitely digging the Deathbar for the bridge! It even handles cleans really well.

WolleK

Reaction score
Getting my Blacktop Baritone Tele also coming week.

Glad that the ghost silver doesnt look blue as on the promo pictures

Bboren

Urine Purifier
Reaction score
shitsøn;2952262 said:
Sounds a bit dull to me. :shrug:

Probably due to my patch and recording more than anything. I'll try to get a better test up when I've had a little while to work on new patches.

brynotherhino

Reformed Redneck
Reaction score
Congrats Barry!! Give me the tele.

Getting my Blacktop Baritone Tele also coming week.

Glad that the ghost silver doesnt look blue as on the promo pictures

It does get a blueish tint depending on the light, or if you are wearing blue.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Hard to answer question, but does the bridge pickup feel bright? You may be able to draw some treble and brightness out of it but does it have that alert, together feel?

What pot are you using? They recommend 250k but perhaps if it does come out dull (I'm gonna try the Death bar in some upcoming builds of mine) maybe notching the pots up a bit might help.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Probably due to my patch and recording more than anything. I'll try to get a better test up when I've had a little while to work on new patches.

Yeah. Every clip I've heard of both X-Bars and the Deathbars sound generally good, but a little on the dull/round side, and I don't know if that's everyone's patches not being tweaked to have more attack, or the pups are just really smooth.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
^I can hear what you're thinking from here :lol:

Oh not for my 22228. :lol: Maybe if I were keeping it, but nah. It's just nice to see an alternative to EMGs that doesn't require any mad modding, and looks gorgeous to boot. Was thinking of a Gibson V7 of Explorer 7, so a set of these ma be an option.

Rap Hat

the:pawn.project
Reaction score
I found the XBar to be quite smooth, and it doesn't seem to have the high-range fizz that EMG or Blackouts have. It's got brightness, don't get me wrong, just not fizz. A 500k pot plus added amp presence would likely sharpen it up a bit though.

Compton

Reaction score
They look but most importantly SOUND amazing! Such a good cover snippit of Demiurge! Congrats man!

Latest posts

')