NGR Newbie - Diving In Head First

2wheel_Ted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi, all.

I’m new here as well to any guitar with more than 6 strings (the Oud doesn’t really count since most of those are doubled notes). My intro to guitar was in the early 80s and I was a rock/metal/punk enthusiast into the 90s. Like the rest of my headbanger friends, I listened to and learned songs by Van Halen, Metallica, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc. Since the late 90s, my guitar passion pivoted towards jazz (swing, be-bop, modern etc.), and then Manouche Swing (Gypsy Jazz) and the Oud.

For the past couple of years, while living in Tokyo for a business-related project, I found myself falling into the guitar rabbit hole via YouTube videos about sweep picking and other techniques, but only had my Django/Maccaferri-style acoustics living in Japan. I played along anyway (I was bored), and realized that all of the Gypsy jazz had me conditioned to playing fast runs, arpeggios, alternative picking techniques etc. Messing around with those new techniques wasn’t as “impossible” as I thought it would be, even playing on the wrong guitars for the job.

Then I discovered amazing and talented (new to me) 8-string players and bands and was quickly hooked. I never ever stopped listening to the rock and metal I grew up listening to, but this new (to me) genre was a refreshing “re-introduction” to what got me into playing guitar in the first place. I did often go and check out the 15 or more guitar shops near Meiji University, and there were a good amount of 8-string guitars (Ibanez, Strandberg, Abasi, Jackson etc.). Honestly, I never really fell in love with any that I came across.

Having been back in the USA a few months, I finally pulled the trigger and ordered an Abasi Larada Legion 8 (the only 8-string they had left) on October 15th, and it arrived today (less than a week!). I had no idea that there was this weird sneaker-flipper-culture-like thing going on with these things (I learned about that here). I just wanted the guitar to play it.

I saw on another thread that folks wanted to some close up images of the headstock so I included some along with photos of the un-boxing. I haven’t plugged it in yet, but it feels really good. The frets are very smooth at the corners, the strings are very close to each other (more than I’m used to, and overall, the fit and finish seems top-notch. The action seems to be about 2.5mm above the 12th fret (eyeball measurement). Compared to what I’m used to playing, I’d say it was low. I’m used to scrutinizing hand-built European and Asian acoustics and arch tops, so it’s been awhile since I’ve looked at any solid body guitar with a careful eye. The last “shredder” guitar I owned and gigged with was a ‘91 or ‘92 Ibanez RG770DX I bought new at the time, so I’m not up to speed with what qualifies for quality builds or what not these days.

Anyway, if you made it through my long ramble, thanks. Looking forward to shredding after many decades and challenging myself to learn something new.

50518323882_b66cb1e1d9_h.jpg

50518154151_c04b4f800c_k_d.jpg

50518154146_414a151020_k_d.jpg

50518323867_d4dd074801_k_d.jpg

50518324032_58681d89cb_k_d.jpg

50518323902_750e9a0205_k_d.jpg

50518323892_4000ad9fb4_k_d.jpg

50518154141_25c441299a_k_d.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lastronaut

Reaction score
Congrats. I've got a sage blue 7 on the way. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Anyways....enjoy it man. Awesome that your diving back into it and giving yourself somthing new to learn and challenge yourself.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
8 strings are fun. They’re my favorite. That is where I feel most comfortable due to my alien fingers

2wheel_Ted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats. I've got a sage blue 7 on the way. Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Anyways....enjoy it man. Awesome that your diving back into it and giving yourself somthing new to learn and challenge yourself.
Yeah. Thanks. I’m always up for a fun challenge. I’m not getting any younger and it’s always good for the brain to get a workout. It’s going to be “nostalgic” to chug again.

2wheel_Ted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn! When I read the preamble I was not expecting to see an Abasi!
Yeah, but it’s the cheap one, right?

In all seriousness, from my teens into my late 20s, I owned a couple Fenders, several Epiphones, a Gretsch, an Ibanez, a Yamaha, some super strat knockoff whose brand I can’t remember, and a Cort. I guess I wanted to continue my personal trend for the past couple of decades of getting into lesser known brands which tend make up my stable these days. None of the brands I own these days can be found at a Guitar Center. And by that I don’t mean my guitars are “exclusive” or too expensive, just not mainstream.

Keeping it weird, man.

2wheel_Ted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
8 strings are fun. They’re my favorite. That is where I feel most comfortable due to my alien fingers
Right on. It’s tailored fit for your fingers. I started on the piano when I was five. I don’t know if I’ve got alien fingers, but I’m used to the stretch.