NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
Put it that way. Imagine that Kostitsyn just wasn't suiting the Habs developpment program and maybe didn't played up to its potential. I'm not saying that he's a Carter, Richards, Getzlaf or Perry, but maybe he could had been a better player if he had a better developpment (hell, look at his brother, not a star player, but a good one in Nashville. I really fear that he'll become good in Nashville).

That being said, that first round pick was a brain fart from the Habs. I was saying that even with a ridiculous first round pick, some of the player drafted on the late did good, proving that the drafting team did some good move, despite doing a pretty bad 1st pick.

It's not just prospect management, either. You shouldn't have a guy like Kostitsyn playing on the third line and then criticize his production. He will get more minutes in Nashville and will see an increase in production. I could see both Kostitsyns being 60-point players, easily. I think Andrei has a pretty high ceiling, 30+ goals per season isn't out of the question given the right linemates and ice time.

The only players they managed properly through the draft recently have been Pacioretty and Subban. It looks like they're going to take their time with guys like Leblanc, Gallagher, Bournival, Tinordi and Beaulieu as well, which is encouraging. With these guys coming up the pipeline and if the habs can manage to snag Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk or Forsberg at the draft, this team has the potential for a big turnaround within a couple of seasons.

The draft is also incredibly deep on the blue line, but with Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Beaulieu and Tinordi fighting for positions for the next few seasons and Markov eventually returning, it seems that the habs' major concern is scoring and size (Grigorenko at 6'3" projected as a Malkin-type 2nd overall, anyone?), although I still wish they hadn't given up on McDonagh so soon. He's doing a great job in NY these days :noplease:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
Well, Kris Letang is showing concussion symptoms. :noplease:

While I don't think Nystrom meant for the head hit and Letang does put himself in a bad position, Nystrom doesn't make much effort to avoid the head and makes no effort to play the puck.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I still love Cory Hodgson despite the fact that I've warmed up to Zack Kassian over the past couple days, but I thought this was hilarious:

a9thyv.jpeg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, Kris Letang is showing concussion symptoms. :noplease:

While I don't think Nystrom meant for the head hit and Letang does put himself in a bad position, Nystrom doesn't make much effort to avoid the head and makes no effort to play the puck.

Yeah sorry when Mike freaking Milbury is saying it's a dirty hit there's a problem with the hit :lol:

NOT good that Tanger is out again :noplease:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Game 2 with Kassian as a Canuck, and he's still impressive as hell. The most surprising thing to come out of this trade has been that the kid has been the instant chemistry he's formed with everyone else on the team.

Watching him play on the fourth line with Maxim Lapierre was really amazing to watch. Kassian and Lapierre just seemed to feed off each other. Lapierre really seemed to benefit mentally from knowing he had a bull guarding his back and turned into a one-man wrecking crew. He got 10 hits in 11 minutes of ice time! Not only that, but they generated some legitimate scoring chances as well and were really solid offensively. Think about it, this is the fourth line. Not only did they totally shutter St. Louis' offense (no easy task these days), they pushed back and generated offense themselves. That is extremely rare in a fourth line.

Hearing the buzz around the NHL, Kassian's most reported issue is that he apparently has consistency issues. While it's too early to really tell, I'm hoping that the chance to play with a legitimate Stanley Cup contender as well as being a part of Vancouver's system (which places a really high emphasis on both rigorous physical training and developing interpersonal relationships with teammates) will really benefit him, and he won't switch off after a few games.

Also, Luongo had a great game last night and earned the ever-elusive shutout. Always nice to see, as even though Vancouver's defense is one of the stingiest in the league, they can almost never seem to shut out their opponents entirely from getting on the scoreboard.

zappatton2

Reaction score
Well, once again, I'm done with hockey, can't be bothered to watch the Leafs pull out all the stops to throw away yet another season. Especially not watching tonight, there is literally nothing worse than watching the Leafs lose to the dreaded Habs. So, when does baseball start again? Go Jays Go!!!!

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
Well, once again, I'm done with hockey, can't be bothered to watch the Leafs pull out all the stops to throw away yet another season. Especially not watching tonight, there is literally nothing worse than watching the Leafs lose to the dreaded Habs. So, when does baseball start again? Go Jays Go!!!!

Maybe you should have watched the games. 3-1 win for the Leafs

That's what you get for giving up on your team too early :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
*Sigh*

Vancouver plays 55 minutes of awesome hockey. Unfortunately they torpedoed themselves from the very beginning by starting the game with 5 minutes of the worst hockey I've ever seen.

For the record, Luongo simply cannot be blamed for what happened. The defensive ability of the entire team took a 5 minute holiday, and it cost them the game, what with Ryan Miller being on a hot streak. Pulling Luongo was the correct thing to do, but not because he was bad, but because the first five minutes just mentally destroyed him. One of the toughest aspects of being a Canucks fan is that you can rarely rely on getting lucky. We get the occasional break, but if a puck is going to take a weird bounce, 90% of the time it will bounce in a way that helps the opposition. It's always been like that and it's just maddening. Tonight was a perfect example. The puck was bouncing around and hopping sticks every which direction tonight, and almost always to our detriment.

I guess that, if there's a something positive to be taken from that, it's that when the Canucks do win, they do it with skill and not luck. But still, it seems like they're constantly battling fate itself to get anything done.

Also, Kassian was awesome again tonight, finally getting his first points as a Canuck with a goal and an assist. David Booth also looked a lot better tonight than he has in a while, and Kesler is slowly regaining his stride as well. The first line with the Sedins and Burrows, though, really worries me. They've been really cold lately. I'm hoping it's because they simply don't want to wear themselves down too much before the playoffs, but if one or both of them is nursing an injury, it could be really bad for us come postseason.

TheDivineWing22

You've got the touch
Reaction score
Pens call up Simon Depres. Martin not at the morning skate. Can't say I'm that upset I really like Depres, although Martin has been playing much better lately.

And Letang returned to skating this morning. Doesn't look like it will be as long of a wait as I had feared.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah it was good to see Letang was skating.

As far as Depres goes given how well he played the last time they called him up I'm surprised they didn't call him up to start with.

JCM800

Reaction score
Might be lame but NHL caught my eye...

Stars at the top of the Pacific!

I'm stoked!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok how screwed up is it that not only are 4 out of 5 teams in the Atlantic in the playoffs, but they have the top 4 point totals in the eastern conference :nuts:

So if not for the divisions leaders getting spots 1-3 they'd be the top 4 seeds in the east

Status
Not open for further replies.
')