NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Could someone explain to me HOW THE HELL Rinaldo isn't suspended?

Seriously, not one but two intentional head shots :nuts:

Yeah that shit was ridiculous, as a Flyers fan I was pretty embarrassed to see our team pulling shit like that. :noplease:

After that spanking we received last game, hopefully the Flyers we've seen in all the previous games in series 1 show up tonight! :rofl:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that shit was ridiculous, as a Flyers fan I was pretty embarrassed to see our team pulling shit like that. :noplease:

After that spanking we received last game, hopefully the Flyers we've seen in all the previous games in series 1 show up tonight! :rofl:

Flyers from previous games + Pens from last game would be fun to watch :agreed: (though not as much fun as a repeat of last game :fawk: :rofl:)

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
So what's everyone's take on the Torres suspension.

Personally I don't think it's his suspension that's too long, I think it's the others that were too short.

I'm still mad about Carkner only getting one game.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My only problem with the suspension is the complete and total lack of consistency. Seriously, it makes no sense to give other guys 2 or 3 games for the same kind of crap then suddenly give 25 games to Torres :2c:

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Just going to say that theres a reason that I hate the flyers. As far I've known, they've always been like this.

In other news, my team won their series against my best friends team. Let the ragging begin. :D

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
My only problem with the suspension is the complete and total lack of consistency. Seriously, it makes no sense to give other guys 2 or 3 games for the same kind of crap then suddenly give 25 games to Torres :2c:

Here's the thing, the thing with Torres was just an isolated incident, the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh combat is extremely consistent, so it will draw in money. In my opinion both should get a fairly hard beating with the ban hammer, that shit is uncalled for on so many levels.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the thing, the thing with Torres was just an isolated incident, the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh combat is extremely consistent, so it will draw in money. In my opinion both should get a fairly hard beating with the ban hammer, that shit is uncalled for on so many levels.

I agree completely that there need to be more suspensions. I mean seriously, Rinaldo runs Mickalek and takes him out, deliberately elbows him in the back of the head while he's still down, then slams him in the forehead with both gloves when he gets to his knees and knocks him out and that's NO suspension or fine? Really? To me something like that after the whistle when a penalty has already been called is worse than something that happens during play.

I'm not defending the Pens either, they deserved the suspension handed out and Asham should have gotten longer than 4 games because a shot to the throat like that is just seriously dangerous and should not be tolerated.

Also wow Detroit and San Jose are both gone in the first round. Seems to be SOP for San Jose but a bit surprising for Detroit.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ahhhhhh. i dont have these problems :lol:

For the first time in ten years... then again I guess during those years the Blues weren't IN the playoffs so you didn't have them then either :rofl:

(It's ok though, I feel you as I was a Pens fan in the years they were finishing last in the league :lol:)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Oh well, there go the two teams I was rooting for :lol:

As someone who only recently got into hockey (thank my Canadian flatmate for that last Stanley Cup Playoffs) looking at it from the outside in, I really am bemused by the disciplinary situation. To me, it would make MUCH more sense to me if it went like this:

- Why does there have to be in injury on the play for a more severe ban? If someone goes headhunting, regardless of an injury or not, they should be banned severely. You can't let people get away with intentionally trying to hurt people just because they happened not to at that time. There really should be a zero tolerance policy checks or elbows or any intentional contact to the head, or other play like a slash or something where you could very easily injure another player. And while there may be a debate on whether a player intended to hit the head or cause injury, I think it make sense to not just wait for concussions and other serious injuries to happen.

- First time offenders should be disciplined much more harshly. Yes, there should be longer bans for repeat offenders who don't learn their lessons but if your first suspension is an elbow to the head or a charge to the head where you tried to injure/seriously injured a player, then sorry, you're not coming back for a while. It would stop those players who would think they could get away with it in my opinion and repeat offenders would be canned for large chunks of a season anyway. Maybe even the more thuggish of offenders should do community service? :lol:

- Finally, can we get rid of Brendan Shannahan for someone who is actually consistent with their decisions? And get rid of Don Cherry while you're at it; he's like the racist, bigotted grandfather at family gatherings that tells you things were better in the 'old days' and you have to listen to him because he's older than you and happens to be in your family.

- In terms of fighting, I'm kind of undecided about it. I can see why you would need enforcers on your team and why you need to protect your star players and goalie, but it seems so out of whack with all other sports on the issue of violent confrontation between players. I'll probably have to watch a few more seasons before I really make my mind up about it.

Anyway, like I said, I'm very new to the sport and I'm looking at it from the outside in at this point. Hoping to watch a few more seasons and become more familiar with all the ins and outs of the sport. It'll be interesting to watch these playoffs at least :yesway:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know how you feel, I normally follow the Pens and the Canucks... Might watch the Preds and Blues now :lol:

- No argument on suspensions
- It was hoped when Shannahan came in he was going to do a better job and for a while he was much more consistent... but it seems like things are back to being all over the place again
- Just ignore Don Cherry, every other sane person does :lol:
- Personally I don't think fighting should be removed. For the most part things have been kept at a reasonable level and fighting really hasn't been a huge issue recently

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
So it's 2-2, Clemmers was off to a rough start but now I think he's going to be doing well. And finally the Panthers are on a power play!

potatohead

Reaction score
Such disappointing playoffs this year. I too was going for Pens/Canucks so I am totally bummed, lol. It seems like all the real defensive, boring trap style teams are going through, at least in the West anyway.

I think the Canucks are going to look drastically different next year. It's obviousl unless they have all their big names firing on all cylinders, they're screwed. Daniel out for the first three games and Kesler struggling all year and they got smoked, even with excellent goaltending.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow. Luongo has actually agreed to waive the No Trade clause in his contract if the Canucks go with Schneider as their #1 guy.

Canucks' Luongo a class act as he faces possible trade

Despite how Luongo tends to crack in the playoffs, he's still a great goalie that most teams would be lucky to have. You can't help but feel bad for the guy. Obviously he has a hard time recovering when he gets rattled, but when he's good, he's great.

On the flipside, the prospect of having a guy with Schneider's potential in net is certainly exciting. The guy has such a bright future, and is incredibly consistent. The off-season is going to be very interesting to watch. He always seems to be hot and he never seems to get rattled when a goal slips by. Sure, he may have "won one, lost two" against the Kings, but it sure wasn't for lack of trying. The guy had a .960 save percentage and a 1.31 GAA in those three games. If the Canucks offense had bothered to show up, they would have dominated.

And yeah, obviously the group's chemistry needs to recover. The past few years, the Canucks have done so well because they can play like a team better than anyone else out there, but for some reason they just haven't been able to do it the past couple months. Both the offense and defense just seemed to disappear.

They'll recover though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
')