NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Normally I would give you shit since I really can't stand the Flyers, but Giroux is one hell of a hockey player :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for Giroux, which is odd, since there are rarely Flyers I have respect for. Though I'm still greatly looking forward to Jersey shutting his shit down.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Though we lost, I am damn proud of our Florida Panthers. We got into double overtime in Game 7 against one of the strongest goaltenders in the game. We even got a shut out. I think that's pretty damn good for a team that hasn't entered the Playoffs in twelve years, with that last time being swept by the Devils. Next year is looking good for hockey in Florida, with the Panthers likely to have Theodore and Markstrom in the crease they'll just have to improve their fourth line and Tampa will kill if they can get at least an okay goalie because of their strong offense, which looks likely if Luongo ends up going to Tampa, which is very likely. Actually, seeing as how Clemmenson will probably be replaced with Markstrom, I could see a Luongo/Clemmenson net for Tampa. Maybe we could trade him for some forwards to strengthen our back end.

For now, though, I just want Jersey to take the cup.
I was really pulling for the cats. What looked like Stage 1 of the world's most insane rebuild at the beginning of the season turned into a team pulling it all together and becoming truly dangerous. I wasn't expecting a playoff appearance at all, but 3 games into the series I thought they had Jersey on their heels. When Markstrom is finally ready to go, they'll be the annual Southeast champs the way Washington was a few years ago. That is, unless Tamps makes some huge turnarounds, but I'm doubtful even Luongo in net would be the answer to the Bolts' problems.

EDIT: And no, I don't think the Caps have found "the piece" yet in Braden Holtby.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok I'm a bit bummed looks like only the USA games are being televised from the IIHF championship. I was looking forward to seeing Russia as Malkin and Datysuk playing on the same team is bound to be fun to watch.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
I was really pulling for the cats. What looked like Stage 1 of the world's most insane rebuild at the beginning of the season turned into a team pulling it all together and becoming truly dangerous. I wasn't expecting a playoff appearance at all, but 3 games into the series I thought they had Jersey on their heels. When Markstrom is finally ready to go, they'll be the annual Southeast champs the way Washington was a few years ago. That is, unless Tamps makes some huge turnarounds, but I'm doubtful even Luongo in net would be the answer to the Bolts' problems.

EDIT: And no, I don't think the Caps have found "the piece" yet in Braden Holtby.

The Southeast is definitely going to be a division to watch next season. The Panthers, Lightning, and Capitals have all been getting themselves together and actually pose a threat to the almighty Atlantic Conference in the East. I would not be surprised if for the next couple years we have at least one Southeast team make it to at least the Conference Finals.

Ok I'm a bit bummed looks like only the USA games are being televised from the IIHF championship. I was looking forward to seeing Russia as Malkin and Datysuk playing on the same team is bound to be fun to watch.

Seriously? Guess we better hope the Russian and other foreign streams will hold up.

Pav

???
Reaction score
The Southeast is definitely going to be a division to watch next season. The Panthers, Lightning, and Capitals have all been getting themselves together and actually pose a threat to the almighty Atlantic Conference in the East. I would not be surprised if for the next couple years we have at least one Southeast team make it to at least the Conference Finals.

I'm still having intense trouble computing the dropoff of Alex Ovechkin. The dude just...stopped scoring the way he used to. He went from a guaranteed 50 goals per season to barely cracking 30 last year. The man who once appeared to be the most unstoppable goal-scorer in the world is as human as anyone. :spock:

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
Congrats to the Coyotes on taking their Cinderella playoff run that much farther.

No offense to the Eastern Conference, but the WCF is shaping up to be a lot more entertaining than the ECF. At least in my opinion.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I agree completely, and I tend to pay way more attention to the East since it's my team's conference. LA and Phoenix is going to be a hell of a dogfight with some unreal goaltending.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
And out goes the Flyers. Am I the only one who just can't figure what the heck happened in the easter conference? I gave the Eastern Final to the Pens vs the Rangers, then I went with the Flyers vs the Rangers, seems like it will be NJ vs Rangers, but they haven't eliminated the Caps yet, so I don't know lol...

Interesting playoff this year. King Vs Coyotes will be awesome to watch aswell

Pav

???
Reaction score
The Flyers and Pens in the first round threw the entire Eastern Conference for a loop. I had Pittsburgh winning the Cup this year, but NO ONE could have predicted Marc-Andre Fleury losing his cool the way he did. The man's been to the finals twice and won a Cup, there's just no explaining the 8 goals per game he was giving up. I know Giroux is good, but my god, no one in the current NHL is that good on a scoring basis. The way New Jersey shut him down clean and clear is perfect evidence of that. Even Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin in their hottest playoff years weren't putting up numbers that obnoxious.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Flyers were the worst possible matchup the Pens could have had in the first round. The entire Pens team played like crap for the majority of the series, they only played close to on-level for two games, one they lost in overtime and the other they won 10-3.

The Flyers then proceeded to believe their own hype because the Pens fell apart and they got killed in the second round, much like I was expecting.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Yep, the Pens weren't ready for the start of the postseason, and they had the fortune of being matched up with probably the one and only team in the East with the firepower to keep up and take advantage of them while they were trying to get their skates under them.

Psyy

The Care Cup's Empty
Reaction score
The Flyers were the worst possible matchup the Pens could have had in the first round. The entire Pens team played like crap for the majority of the series, they only played close to on-level for two games, one they lost in overtime and the other they won 10-3.

The Flyers then proceeded to believe their own hype because the Pens fell apart and they got killed in the second round, much like I was expecting.

The Pens just tried to play the Flyers in a game of Flyers hockey and couldn't do it. I don't even know why they tried. The Pens are the best team in the league when they play disciplined, finesse-y hockey. It didn't help any that Fleury felt like he was the worst goaltender in the league (in all actuality he was pretty close for a few games).

The Flyers will never make another SC run until they get a goaltender they can rely on. Bryzgalov just looks like he would rather do anything but play playoff hockey.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Not really NHL, but does anyone know where I'd be able to watch AHL playoff games? I'm kind of curious to see Markstrom play seeing as how he probably will be recalled onto the Panthers next season.

Also, this was fairly funny.

Balder_holtby.jpg

Pav

???
Reaction score
^ I saw that quote yesterday and definitely lol'd. :lol:

Don't know what to tell you about the AHL games though, all of the sites I use to find feeds seem to only broadcast NHL, KHL and IIHF.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Lundqvist was unreal. The Caps had no chance trying to ride Braden Holtby alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')