NHL 2011-2012 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Damn, I was really pulling for the Caps. Looks like the East will be fun to watch, though.

The West, however, even though I like the teams, will be a tad boring. They're both defensive teams so it'll pretty much be Smith v. Quick. :lol: I expect many OTs and many 0-1 and 2-1 games.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll watch the WCF just to see whether it's Mike Smith or Jonathan Quick to be pegged as the next elite-level goaltender, but that series is going to be very defensive.

On the other hand, the Devils and Rangers in the ECF is going to be a freakin' warzone. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how the shot-blocking defensive-minded New York Rangers are about to host the offensive guns of the New Jersey Devils. :lol: Epic roll reversal.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll watch the WCF just to see whether it's Mike Smith or Jonathan Quick to be pegged as the next elite-level goaltender, but that series is going to be very defensive.

On the other hand, the Devils and Rangers in the ECF is going to be a freakin' warzone. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how the shot-blocking defensive-minded New York Rangers are about to host the offensive guns of the New Jersey Devils. :lol: Epic roll reversal.

I'm expecting huge amounts of SOG from them, this series will probably be very taxing on Brodeur so I think he may sit out at least one game.

Reactions: Pav

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'm expecting huge amounts of SOG from them, this series will probably be very taxing on Brodeur so I think he may sit out at least one game.

It occurred to me earlier tonight that if the Devils end up winning the Cup this year, I'm SURE Brodeur will retire. FINALLY. :lol:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
It occurred to me earlier tonight that if the Devils end up winning the Cup this year, I'm SURE Brodeur will retire. FINALLY. :lol:

I don't know, I feel like he may try and stay for five more seasons so he can beat Howe's record for most seasons played. Even if the Devils don't want him someone will take him, heck I bet even if he were 45 he wouldn't be a bad goalie and could benefit teams like Tampa who have abysmal goal-tending.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I'm not so sure of that. The past two seasons, this last one especially, he's becoming noticeably fragile on the ice, missing time throughout the season with random strains and muscle injuries. I wouldn't doubt that a goalie-desperate team like Tampa would throw him money (after all...Roloson...), but it's getting to the point where Marty himself has to be feeling it after every game. A Cup sooner rather than later would be the perfect opportunity for him to bow out on the highest note possible and save himself later damage.

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
Hey, Roli is 42 and he was never half the goalie Marty is, he could go in for the long haul, even if he starts to play less games. But yeah, he definitely has been showing signs of age recently, but when he's on his game, he's still a fantastic goalie.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Yeah, and when Marc-Andre Fleury is on his game, Pittsburgh is almost undeniably the most dangerous team in the NHL.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, and when Marc-Andre Fleury is on his game, Pittsburgh is almost undeniably the most dangerous team in the NHL.

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT.

:lol:

Said it before, I'll say it again, the Rangers should be sending the Flyers thank you cards as their odds of making it to the Stanley Cup Finals went up by about 90% when Pittsburgh went out

Pav

???
Reaction score
:lol:

Said it before, I'll say it again, the Rangers should be sending the Flyers thank you cards as their odds of making it to the Stanley Cup Finals went up by about 90% when Pittsburgh went out

Yep. Pens and Flyers in round one was a huge break for the rest of the eastern conference.

Anyone read about Dale Hunter bowing out in Washington? That dude's coaching style made NO sense. He gave his $6+ million scorers less ice time than his most average checkers. And benching Mike Knuble for not scoring enough goals? Retarded. Knuble has been one of the few Caps signings in recent years that almost tricked me into believing George McPhee actually knows how to win a Cup...and then they bench him, while Alex Ovechkin is continuing to produce at a more and more mediocre rate. I'm becoming less and less surprised that Varlamov wanted to be traded out of there, although I have to imagine there were other circumstances surrounding that situation.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
^ Couldn't disagree more. I thought Hunter did an awesome job with the team. It took a while, but when you can get a guy like Semin to block shots and play a team game (and it's not like it really affected his offensive upside), you're a winner in my books.

Pav

???
Reaction score
His style of coaching could turn out to be just what their formerly, casual-minded core needed. He turned an offensive-minded team into a responsible defensive unit, that's for sure. The problem is, look at the Caps' roster. They aren't constructed to play a defensive game. A huge portion of their cap space is taken up by high-priced scorers. He instituted his system regardless.

If the experience gained by the core of their team translates into the future, I'll gladly shut the hell up. But Hunter had a defensive style that he tried to apply to an offensive roster, and his inability to adapt to it just...doesn't make sense. You can't spend close to $10mil per season on a player that puts up 60-something points, playing under 15 minutes per game, but he tried to force it.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I think that was a decision that was taken within context as far as the treatment of Ovie. If he played the entire playoffs, or hell, the entire regular season the way he did the final 2-3 games against NYR then I don't think he would have been playing sub 15 minutes per game.

I certainly get your point though. As a Habs fan we've had to deal with similar crap over the last couple of years trying to make quick and nimble forwards play tough defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')