NHL 2013 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav

???
Reaction score
Also, one of our communications giants just acquired the rights to NHL games and the Hockey Night in Canada brand a couple days ago...dunno if you American folk have much/any access to CBC games on Saturday night, but it's a legendary thing up here. It also means that they can show Don Cherry the exit. Kind of interesting - in the first intermission between Toronto and Montreal tonight, he was surprisingly lucid and basically said leave us alone...and of course he managed to compare it to Bobby Orr :lol:

You're talking about Rogers winning the NHL bid? I've been following that deal, trying to grasp what a massive change it could be for Canadians and hockey. From what I understand, Rogers and CBC came to an agreement that will allow (a downsized) CBC to continue HNIC for four more years, but Rogers gets to edit/censor anything they want during that time.

This is a pretty big deal. I don't know about any of my fellow American hockey fans here, but my local cable service has always included CBC (maybe because I'm so close to Canada?) so I've also had access to HNIC for as long as I can remember. While it certainly doesn't mean to me what it does for Canadians, I've associated Don Cherry and his loud fashion sense with the game of hockey for a long, long time now, and it wouldn't make sense for him to just suddenly disappear, whether or not you actually like him personally.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
I hated the JVR for Schenn trade the day it happened. Traded Jvr when his value was at his lowest and when it was clear that injuries had hampered what would have been a major step forward in his development.

I was saying before he was traded that he would score 30 on Giroux's wing.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
You're talking about Rogers winning the NHL bid? I've been following that deal, trying to grasp what a massive change it could be for Canadians and hockey. From what I understand, Rogers and CBC came to an agreement that will allow (a downsized) CBC to continue HNIC for four more years, but Rogers gets to edit/censor anything they want during that time.

This is a pretty big deal. I don't know about any of my fellow American hockey fans here, but my local cable service has always included CBC (maybe because I'm so close to Canada?) so I've also had access to HNIC for as long as I can remember. While it certainly doesn't mean to me what it does for Canadians, I've associated Don Cherry and his loud fashion sense with the game of hockey for a long, long time now, and it wouldn't make sense for him to just suddenly disappear, whether or not you actually like him personally.

Yes, I am. You're right about the details - but it means HNIC won't be the only game in town on Saturday nights in Canada. Rogers is pretty big up here. Amongst other things they have naming rights to the Canucks arena and the new Edmonton downtown arena is going to be in their name as well - "Rogers Place". Boring.

For CBC, it means that they're basically losing exclusivity on their most popular draw. As Canada's public broadcaster, CBC doesn't have a massive amount of viewership compared to other channels. Ever since they lost the HNIC theme it hasn't been the same. I hope they keep Don Cherry. He's loud and in your face, but he's instantly recognizable. Although he makes as much as a fourth-liner...

I think being close to the border influences whether or not you get it in America. It's on the TVs when I go to Seattle, but not in California or Nashville, apparently.

In other news, Bryzgalov plays two games for the Oilers and goes down injured. The saga continues...

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
I hated the JVR for Schenn trade the day it happened. Traded Jvr when his value was at his lowest and when it was clear that injuries had hampered what would have been a major step forward in his development.

I was saying before he was traded that he would score 30 on Giroux's wing.

That's kinda like when I flipped the fook out over cutting Carter and Richards loose. I told every single one of my friends the day that they were traded off that they would BOTH win cups before the Flyers do next. What happened? They ended up in LA. With Gagne. And win a STANLEY CUP!!!! :scream::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
i don't get your point. Those 2 games less than that shows that if we win both of those, we will be 5 points ahead of you.
Your instinct to seek "comfort" in a statistical potentiality has less substance than an immediate, actual, head-to-head victory, especially with 1st place in the division on the line.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
vader.jpg

Geno was apparently injured in practice this morning and is out day to day with a lower body injury... he will not play tonight against the Sharks. I should have known this was going to happen, as it seems like every time Geno and Syd are both kicking ass one of them gets injured :noplease:

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
Your instinct to seek "comfort" in a statistical potentiality has less substance than an immediate, actual, head-to-head victory, especially with 1st place in the division on the line.

Thats all find and dandy but the Habs/Bruins rivalry doesn't mean much to me anymore, considering you guys will just end up exiting the playoffs in an embarrassing fashion this year, just like every year. You guys haven't been a playoff threat in 2 decades.

The only teams in our conference who's rivalry means much to me is the Penguins. The Flyers are crap, and I like Stamkos and St. Louis too much to hate the Lightning.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
That's the longest 3rd period I can recall, hell of a push.

I hear Boychuk is doing ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
')