NHL 2013 - 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
As much as they were trying to downplay the rematch aspect of that game, I don't think anyone's forgotten.

That timeout sure changed things around in the second. Would've loved to hear exactly what was said when Mount Tortorella exploded. I'm sure they're words to live by.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok Engelland's hit was unfortunate and did make head contact so it will be a suspension, but how the hell does that qualify for the Aggressor rule? He didn't beat the guy, he hit him as part of a hockey play :scratch:

Pittsburgh Penguins' Deryk Engelland to have in-person hearing - Department of Player Safety News

"46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself."

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
Ok Engelland's hit was unfortunate and did make head contact so it will be a suspension, but how the hell does that qualify for the Aggressor rule? He didn't beat the guy, he hit him as part of a hockey play :scratch:

Pittsburgh Penguins' Deryk Engelland to have in-person hearing - Department of Player Safety News

"46.2 Aggressor – The aggressor in an altercation shall be the player who continues to throw punches in an attempt to inflict punishment on his opponent who is in a defenseless position or who is an unwilling combatant.

A player must be deemed the aggressor when he has clearly won the fight but he continues throwing and landing punches in a further attempt to inflict punishment and/or injury on his opponent who is no longer in a position to defend himself."

Maybe the league decided to be a lot tougher now after the whole Thornton incident? I dunno.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe the league decided to be a lot tougher now after the whole Thornton incident? I dunno.

It's definitely tougher as he has an in-person hearing for something that would have previously been maybe 3 games. However applying a rule specifically targeted at instigating a fight for an open ice hit where no fighting was involved at all makes no sense at all. I'm actually wondering if the article was copy pasted from the Thornton one and somebody missed taking that out :2c:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not surprised by the recent crackdowns, this year seems to be the worst for injuries and it doesn't show any signs of slowing either; with a portion of them being from bad (deliberate) hits on players, so I understand the league's desire to put an end to it. I can only imagine what the standings would look like if every player was healthy during their games, vs having half the teams being on DTD/IR.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not surprised by the recent crackdowns, this year seems to be the worst for injuries and it doesn't show any signs of slowing either; with a portion of them being from bad (deliberate) hits on players, so I understand the league's desire to put an end to it. I can only imagine what the standings would look like if every player was healthy during their games, vs having half the teams being on DTD/IR.

Oh yeah the injuries are RIDICULOUS this season... with Engelland being suspended FIVE of the Pens starting six D are out :nuts:

Pav

???
Reaction score
Look at the bright side: the ice is primed and ready for Matt Niskanen to step up and have a Norris-caliber season.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look at the bright side: the ice is primed and ready for Matt Niskanen to step up and have a Norris-caliber season.

He is currently a +17 :lol: That said he's not aggressive enough offensively to win the Norris since anymore it's all about scoring.

That said aside from when he first got here and was still learning the system I have no idea why guys have been down on Niskanen. He's been a great defenseman for us and I've seen tons of people hate on him :scratch:

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was impressed by his restraint to be honest. That said tarring an entire city because of the actions of a few assholes isn't cool either. There are plenty of assholes in every city :lol:

Pav

???
Reaction score
He is currently a +17 :lol: That said he's not aggressive enough offensively to win the Norris since anymore it's all about scoring.

That said aside from when he first got here and was still learning the system I have no idea why guys have been down on Niskanen. He's been a great defenseman for us and I've seen tons of people hate on him :scratch:

Yeah, 'twas sarcasm. Niskanen will never will the Norris. :lol: As much as I like him too, it's simply funny yet sad to consider that he's currently our #1 defenseman.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, 'twas sarcasm. Niskanen will never will the Norris. :lol: As much as I like him too, it's simply funny yet sad to consider that he's currently our #1 defenseman.

No argument, but you have to give him and the callups credit, they are doing an awesome job on D so far. I mean Niskanen and Maata were the only two D last night that didn't get called up from the AHL, and Maata is 19 :lol:

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how this isn't "Too many men"? This was DURING play, as well, and the puck was near number 8. Refs were awful tonight. Also missed a blatant high stick from a Flames player on Chara.

1525685_10202972186964489_1393548893_n.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There was one like that in the Pens Toronto game though not quire that bad... IIRC Toronto had 7 players on the ice with no call :lol:

5150time

Now with Vitamin R
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how this isn't "Too many men"? This was DURING play, as well, and the puck was near number 8. Refs were awful tonight. Also missed a blatant high stick from a Flames player on Chara.

It's because it takes at -least- 2 Flames to equal one Bruin. Besides, a high stick on Chara would go over the heads of 90% of the league :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
That looks more like a clip from NHL '99 than it does a gif from a live 2013 game :lol:

protest

Reaction score
Anyone see Tom Wilson's ridiculous charge on Brayden Schenn last night? He came from so far away that they couldn't even find a camera angle to show where he started skating for the hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')