NHL 2016-2017: World Cup of Hockey

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
:rofl:

Hartnell has wound down a lot lately... IIRC he was a healthy scratch for Columbus in several of the playoff games against them.

Yea, a lot of Flyer's fans were pissed at that trade because Umberger sucked, but you could see the point of it. We weren't going anywhere and we were going to need money for other, younger players. Using those cap websites you could see Umberger was clearly going to be bought out after his second year, whereas Hartnell was pretty much locked in for a while because of the buyout terms of his contract.

It's really similar to the Schenn trade that just happened. Most Flyer's fans are pissed that they moved Schenn for some guy that sucks, but he's another buyout candidate and they got 2 firsts for friggin Brayden Schenn.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah most fans don't understand the cap and that sometimes you need to move good players to move a team forward. From watching the Flyers / Pens game last season if they can get solid goaltending and sure up the defense they should be a strong team. Their puck movement and offense is pretty impressive when it gets rolling.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
Hartnell bought out lol

I'd bring him back if I was the Flyers on a low cost 1-2 year deal, bottom 6 and PP2 minutes. Good thing about a buyout is he's getting paid anyway so the next contract doesn't have to be as high.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not surprising Hartnell was bought out, Columbus massively overpaid him and his performance went to hell this season.

Going to guess that at minimum Bonino, Daley, and maybe Kunitz are all going to be gone for the Pens and are going to be overpaid in free agency.

Duchene's name has come up for the Pens a couple times. It's sort of funny as I've heard a comment in the media that if they can't pay Bonino $4 million then $6 for Duchene doesn't make sense. The difference is Duchene is a much better overall player :2c: That said I don't see it happening as Colorado wants a mint for him and his performance last season doesn't match their asking price.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Of all the UFA rumors flying in Montreal, the most interesting name I heard was Bonino. I would be very happy with him around $4/y, much more so than the rumored Thornton. I remember hearing about all of the injuries he was carrying during the last playoff and I am very surprised there are a lot of interested teams.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I think teams are hoping to get 2015-16 Bonino and not 2016-17 Bonino if they sign him :lol: His performance last year was just not good enough to justify a large raise and a long term deal, but he'll get it because he was on a Cup winning team :2c:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Sounds like Alzner will be signing a $4.5m/5y with the Habs. This pretty much also means that Markov won't be getting resigned, 38 year old asking for $6/y is just too damn much, even for a career franchise player sadly.

As for Radulov, I suspect his signature will be today, regardless of which club. The money is fair, but his term is longer than Bergevin seems comfortable with. I would be surprised if he submits this time around, like he did with Subban. I would also be very sad to see him go in much the same way.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Damn does Bob Mzkenzie have a long list of confirmed trades prior to noon. I don't think I've ever seen this much movement.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Alzner will be signing a $4.5m/5y with the Habs. This pretty much also means that Markov won't be getting resigned, 38 year old asking for $6/y is just too damn much, even for a career franchise player sadly.

As for Radulov, I suspect his signature will be today, regardless of which club. The money is fair, but his term is longer than Bergevin seems comfortable with. I would be surprised if he submits this time around, like he did with Subban. I would also be very sad to see him go in much the same way.

Alzner is not worth the money.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well looks like that answers the Pens backup goalie question. Antti Niemme signed a one year deal with the Pens.

Pens also picked up Matt Hunwick from Toronto.

PS absolutely NO clue why the hell Pens didn't resign Daley when he only got $3.1 a year from Detroit :nuts:

Last edited:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
The battle for Radulov as it currently stands... (click me) :lol:

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Huh...Patrick Marleau is now on the Leafs.

Didn't see that coming.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of interesting moves going on.

I'm really curious to see how Bonino as a second line center is going to work out for the Preds... going to guess it won't

Also shocked the Capitals pretty much gave away Johansson for two draft picks. Seriously who gives up a 50 point winger with two years left on his contract for a second and third round pick? I get freeing cap space, but damn :lol:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Huh...Patrick Marleau is now on the Leafs.

Didn't see that coming.

Hurts to see, but I understand all the reasons behind it. I'm more surprised by where he ended up vs. going somewhere else after all his time in the teal with SJ.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Yeah a lot of interesting moves going on.

Also shocked the Capitals pretty much gave away Johansson for two draft picks. Seriously who gives up a 50 point winger with two years left on his contract for a second and third round pick? I get freeing cap space, but damn :lol:

He is soft as charmin toilet paper, I couldn't be happier he is no longer on the team. His points were inflated because he played with good players. That said, they are going to be in cap space hell for a long time. Kuznetsov and Orlov got paid way too much. I think the threat of the KHL forced their hands a bit on that. They have no money left to fill the team, no idea who they will use, AHL affiliate is pretty light on prospects. I think they miss the playoffs or seriously struggle to make them next year.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Caps only had something like 14/15 players under contract for next season with only something 10 million left under the cap. They just might be more screwed than Chicago.