NHL 2017 - 2018

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So Rick Tocchet is now the head coach of the Arizona Coyotes and Mark Recci is the new Pens assistant coach. Going to miss Tocchet behind the bench. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out for both teams.

EDIT: and Gonchar is now an assistant coach as well.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks like Archibald and Pouliot are both going to get an NHL shot for the Pens next year as they both signed one way contracts.

Pouliot's contract really surprised me as Sullivan seems to be completely unwilling to play him at the NHL level. That also gives the Pens 6 NHL defensemen without resigning Dumoulin: Cole, Letang, Hunwick, Maata, Pouliot, and Schultz. They also still have Ruhwedel who was solid for them when he was called on. Pouliot's deal makes me think there is either a trade in the works or they are thinking they're not liking the odds of resigning Dumoulin.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Aaand the offseason news circle jerk has started. There is nothing to report on so one Pittsburgh reporter wrote an article about Kessel getting traded... and suddenly multiple sources are commenting on it. The guy had roughly a point a game last season including the playoffs, why in the hell would they trade him :lol:

Even better was the comment that nobody would want to take his $6.8 million contract. To make a comparison, Kessel had 70 points last season and was a +3. Kessel also had 23 points in 25 games in the playoffs and was a +12. Tavares, who everybody seems to be creaming over right now, had 66 points and was a +4. They're projecting Tavares making north of $10 million a year :lol: Granted you're talking a wing vs a center, but these guys are freaking ridiculous. Literally the only way I could see a Kessel trade happening would be to clear cap to make room for an expensive center, and even that seems unlikely.

Pav

???
Reaction score
I was not aware that both Dumoulin and Sheary are headed for arbitration. GMJR says he doesn't expect either to sign before their hearings so here's hoping the process doesn't lead to some severed ties.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was not aware that both Dumoulin and Sheary are headed for arbitration. GMJR says he doesn't expect either to sign before their hearings so here's hoping the process doesn't lead to some severed ties.

Yeah I suspect Dumoulin will be ok as he doesn't have high offensive numbers which is one of the big things that seem to be considered for arbitration. I'm curious to see what happens with Sheary as his regular season numbers were great which will likely drive his salary up, but he was inconsistent enough that I don't see the Pens paying a lot to keep him.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow Dumoulin wanted $4.35 million and the Pens only offered him $1.95 million. Then again he has been a MUCH better defenseman than Maata and they gave Maata that $4 million deal... taking that into account $1.95 is actually insulting :facepalm:

It's going to be interesting seeing what arbitration comes up with.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And Dumoulin resigned for six years with a cap hit of $4.1 million... that gives the Pens 4 D making over $4 million. That only leaves the Pens $6 million under the cap and they need two centers and Sheary isn't signed. Going to guess somebody is getting traded or Sheary is going to be let go if he goes to arbitration and gets any kind of big award.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Remember when Pekka Rinne was the only good thing Nashville had going for it? Never thought I'd see the day it were the opposite, scary core players they've got signed long term.

Last edited: