NHL 2018 - 2019

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
The East just got very interesting and the playing field for the Cup has never felt so wide open.

I think that gives CBJ a huge boost. They have the talent to make a run, still need to see another good series from Bobrovsky before I trust him though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think that gives CBJ a huge boost. They have the talent to make a run, still need to see another good series from Bobrovsky before I trust him though.

Yeah that was an insane series... it's also interesting as you have the added driver that 90% of the star players for CBJ are looking for contracts elsewhere in July.

The Pens were pretty much what I expected: the same mistakes and lack of adjustment four games in a row. The Isles are a very hard team to play when you're chasing, and that second goal was the kind of mistake you can't afford to make in an elimination game.

I'll be curious to see what happens in the off-season given the inconsistency of play and log jams at defense and in net.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
I'll be curious to see what happens in the off-season given the inconsistency of play and log jams at defense and in net.
I suspect a full rebuild wouldn't be considered for another 3 or so years, but how far/hard of a rebuild do you think they are prepared to go this offseason?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Pens starting to get a little old too. Not sure it would be a full rebuild, but maybe it’s time to consider getting a little younger.

I can’t figure out if Vegas really looks that good or SJ is that bad right now. There is definitely some legitimate hate in that series though.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suspect a full rebuild wouldn't be considered for another 3 or so years, but how far/hard of a rebuild do you think they are prepared to go this offseason?

Pens starting to get a little old too. Not sure it would be a full rebuild, but maybe it’s time to consider getting a little younger.

I can’t figure out if Vegas really looks that good or SJ is that bad right now. There is definitely some legitimate hate in that series though.

Yeah there are some really hard choices ahead for management. It's hard to argue for a full rebuild when all of your core players are pulling 70+ points, but there are also some REALLY questionable contracts in play that are going to present problems going forward. Johnson and Hornqvist come immediately to mind with IIRC each having 4 years left at $5 and $6 million per. The media loves to talk about trading Kessel, but honestly the guy had 82 points and is making $6 million. You aren't going to get better performance than that for that money. Letang is also problematic as when he is good he is unbelievable but when he's bad he flat out costs you games, and they already won a Cup without him in the lineup.

The whole D core is a mess as IIRC we have the highest paid D in the league with bottom 10 defensive stats.

Murray is a championship goaltender... as long as you only allow 25 shots a game and he is having a good night. DeSmith and Jarry are both on one way NHL contracts next year.

The team is also at the bottom of the prospect pool since they've traded away all of their better draft picks for 4+ years.

I honestly have no clue what they'll do at this point. The team is a headache as they look really solid one minute and completely choke the next.

EDIT: my bad Johnson is only making $3.25 not $5 and Hornqvist is making $5

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Pacioretty/Statsny/Stone are tearing them up right now... imagine last years team but with the addition of a top-tier line added. My money would be on them right now for the Cup.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Pacioretty/Statsny/Stone are tearing them up right now... imagine last years team but with the addition of a top-tier line added. My money would be on them right now for the Cup.

That top line has been ridiculous, need to spread out the scoring though. Dallas looking better than I would think. The Avs are getting it done too, that come back last night down 2-0 then winning in OT was crazy. Could be looking at a season were both 1 vs 8 spots are upsets. I can’t remember when that’s happened.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am really curious to see how the rest of the playoffs shake out. Both 1 seeds going out is surprising and I'm curious to see how the other matchups go. Looking forward to the Knights / Sharks game tonight.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I just heard that this has never happened in NHL history.

I was surprised when I heard it earlier today. I was thinking it happened, but had been so long that I just didn’t remember.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Absolutely Huge win for the Leafs just now. But that has to be some of the worst officiating I've seen in quite a while.

Dogshit calls against the Leafs, Non-Calls against the Bruins, but then...I have beyond no idea why the Leafs' first goal wasn't called back on Goaltender interference, and that opening up the game definitely lead to the Leafs' second, and game winning, goal. Not calling the obvious intentional offside with less than a minute left in a 1 goal game. Just...just a horribly called game all around.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Absolutely Huge win for the Leafs just now. But that has to be some of the worst officiating I've seen in quite a while.

Dogshit calls against the Leafs, Non-Calls against the Bruins, but then...I have beyond no idea why the Leafs' first goal wasn't called back on Goaltender interference, and that opening up the game definitely lead to the Leafs' second, and game winning, goal. Not calling the obvious intentional offside with less than a minute left in a 1 goal game. Just...just a horribly called game all around.

Yeah looked like interference. I wish they could be consistent in what they call interference.

Dan O’Halloran... worst official ever.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Rask was beat either way. I think the refs made the right call on the ice, then did not find anything strong enough to overturn.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was surprised when I heard it earlier today. I was thinking it happened, but had been so long that I just didn’t remember.

And it happened. Was actually a bit surprised that game wasn't even close.

Rask was beat either way. I think the refs made the right call on the ice, then did not find anything strong enough to overturn.

Yeah I think that is what it came down to. Even with no contact he was not going to stop that puck so the contact didn't prevent him from making a save.

It was also pretty well illustrated on the Leafs second goal which was virtually identical with no contact.

Or maybe I've just gotten used to there being horrible officiating in the NHL :lol:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Winnipeg is eliminated now too. Dallas are 3-2 over Nashville, then Toronto is 3-2 over Boston... year of the underdogs!

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Loved this one. Hamilton peaks over and sees who is coming in and bails.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That Knights / Sharks game last night was just painful to watch. Really hate seeing a team mostly dominate for FIVE periods and still lose :facepalm:

Jones put on a goaltending clinic...

Latest posts