NHL 2023-2024

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was pretty typical for this season sadly. Beat the Canucks, outplay the Kracken and Flames and still lose.

EDIT: yep, playoff hopes on the line, lose 2 games they should have won and then get annihilated by the Oilers. This coming weekend should be fun with a back to back against the Bruins and Oilers...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The worst part of this may be that the Pens traded their first round pick in the draft this year, so tanking isn't even going to get them anything.

Watching people's reactions to the idea of trading Guentzel is interesting too. Everybody seems to take for granted that the Pens can sign him and he shouldn't be traded... but what if wants 8 years at $10 per? Or what if he's just flat out not interesting in signing long-term or doesn't want to sign at all?

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Only the Caps could get blown out of the rink by a team with 1 win in the last 15 games. After coming back and beating the Flyers 5-2, they were like, “Just kidding, we still suck.” Against the Coyotes. It’s going to be a “Sell, Sell, Sell” kind of week.

Maybe even more surprising than Kuznetsov getting waived, is that he is actually going to report to Hershey. I believe that makes him the highest paid player in AHL history.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow I figured he would head for the KHL... guess he wants to stay here and is hoping he can get it back together.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Comedy: another team ahead of the Pens in the standings fired their coach. That's either 2 or 3 this year, I forget which.

Ruff is out in Jersey.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In other comedy Nylander had his first NHL hat trick last night against Vegas... a couple days after the Pens traded him to the Bluejackets

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I would have guessed a reconditioning stint.
He showed up and actually looked happy to be there.
1709674900461.png

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WTF Eller moved from third line center to first line left wing and O'Connor (who hasn't played center since college) is now the third line center :nuts:

I am starting to think Sullivan just has a lottery ball machine with the player's numbers and pulls most of the positions at random.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
And the fire sale begins… At least they got a 2nd and a 4th. Couldn’t give him away for a used bag of pucks and roll of tape last season. Put up 20g so far in a contract year and he wasn’t resigning with the Caps, no interest from either side for that.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
And the fire sale begins… At least they got a 2nd and a 4th. Couldn’t give him away for a used bag of pucks and roll of tape last season. Put up 20g so far in a contract year and he wasn’t resigning with the Caps, no interest from either side for that.

He was in our rumor mills for months, glad Hughes didn't bite.

The bar has been set! Behold, THE gold standard of all dump ins! (skip ahead to 0:45)

Perfect shot :lol:

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Trade deadline really took off today.

No movement on goalies, so there is still hope that we can move Allen. There are a lot of contracts/players I feel we still need to shed for our rebuild, but that is the one I would most like to see go at this time. He was very good for most his time with us these past few years, but this year has been an anomaly performance/result wise. I think he still has a few good years in him and hope he finds a team that appreciates him as a backup, especially going into the playoffs.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still waiting to see who the Pens move... rumors indicated they wanted to move Guentzel by today, but nothing so far.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well given Guentzel turned down 2 contract offers I can't really complain about this trade even though I want to. My only comment is if Guentzel ends up signing for less than $10mil Dubas should be fired for taking this.

It sounds like they got a decent winger in Bunting, several guys that will likely never see the NHL, a second round pick and a fifth. Smith was clearly never going to get NHL play time under Sullivan so he's not a relevant loss at this point. Downside is this did not make the team better in any way. The prospects don't look like guys that will make an impact and Bunting is definitely not close to the caliber of player the Pens gave up.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Well given Guentzel turned down 2 contract offers I can't really complain about this trade even though I want to. My only comment is if Guentzel ends up signing for less than $10mil Dubas should be fired for taking this.

It sounds like they got a decent winger in Bunting, several guys that will likely never see the NHL, a second round pick and a fifth. Smith was clearly never going to get NHL play time under Sullivan so he's not a relevant loss at this point. Downside is this did not make the team better in any way. The prospects don't look like guys that will make an impact and Bunting is definitely not close to the caliber of player the Pens gave up.

Saw that report during the game last night. Caps and Pens both in the “In need of serious rebuild” phase now. I wonder if he just wasn’t interested in being a part of that? I keep seeing crazy rumors of Crosby leaving too, but I find that pretty hard to believe. Just like Ovi and the Caps, I’m not sure I could ever see him playing elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')