Nic Huber?

• Thread starter Stealthdjentstic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What do you guys think of his guitars. I might pick one up soon as its way too sexy to pass up.

How is the build quality? Does it differ model to model? IE Orca VS Twangmeister? They are ALL made in Germany right?

What is a suitable price range for a twangmeister? 2500-3000?

Thanks gentlemen :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blanco

Reaction score
They look really nice i quite like the dolphin shape. His website has some links to dealers and they all look a fair bit more than 3k though.

blanco

Reaction score
Sounds roughly right then i suppose depending on the used condition. I've just noticed engage put one up in the for sale section so should be able to give you an idea about quality.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably the wrong forum to ask on given most of the guys here have not even heard of Huber :2c:

You'd do much better hitting the TGP Small Company Luthiers section and doing a search... very well respected builder.

Eden57

Banned
Reaction score
I like the look of these actually. A lot, especially the Redwood. Good taste, you have :yoda:

Probably the wrong forum to ask on given most of the guys here have not even heard of Huber :2c:

You'd do much better hitting the TGP Small Company Luthiers section and doing a search... very well respected builder.

I just did a google search... cool stuff

Reaction score

You'd do much better hitting the TGP Small Company Luthiers section and doing a search.

Yeah I read through the TGP stuff but the trouble is..Im not sure how valid their opinions are, or I cant relate to their comparison guitars.

Like they'll say its better than their X Gibson or Y Fender but Ive only ever owned one strat so I cant really relate to their reviews...if that makes sense?

I also have no idea who can be trusted on there and who can not, like on SSO I know most of the users and if you get an NGD and love the guitar I know I can probably trust your opinion because you've owned tons of high end stuff but how do I know if one of those TGP'ers is the guy thats only ever owned a strat and a Pod or something?

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the one I'm trying to nab:

9876-2_zps2289351c.jpg

9876-3_zpsd62f3a18.jpg

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't comment on them other than saying he's a well known and well respected building since I've never played one.

That said GOD DAMN IS THAT HOT :drool: (I've got a weekness for Mary Kay finishes)

Reaction score
Yeah, its incredible. I am sucker for trans white as well :D

Plus its in Canada right now which makes it WAY more appealing to me.

If I buy a $1500 guitar from the US I usually end up paying around $2000-2100 after taxes so the idea of buying a guitar and only really paying the asking price is super appealing :lol:

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
I've only played one Huber for a short amount of time, it was an awesome guitar all around, but one thing to keep in mind about Huber guitars - the necks tend to be REALLY thick, and the profile starts off as a bit of a V down near the nut. It's something an Ibby player might have a really hard time getting used to :)

Reaction score
I've only played one Huber for a short amount of time, it was an awesome guitar all around, but one thing to keep in mind about Huber guitars - the necks tend to be REALLY thick.

Yeah thats what I was told as well. I dont mind thick necks though so long as they aren't U shaped or V shaped I'm OK. Feeels gooood on the wrists. :D

elq

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
:lol: sorry for editing and adding more detail while you were replying. You might want to ping narad, I'm pretty sure he owned at least one and he's had some very well regarded guitars in his collection

Reaction score
Is the V kind of like how the Caparison Applehorn starts off as a square? I actually like that a lot but only near the top. Hmmm...so confuse.

I will bug Jason for sure! Thanks

Eden57

Banned
Reaction score
Would you say it feels more like a Gibson neck or a EBMM Axis neck for roundness/thickness? I sent an email to these guys already. I'm liking that Redwood one

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Might as well hop on in then:

How is the build quality?

Phenomenal. At least, on my old Orca there was nothing to fault anywhere, and just the quality of the finish - the subtle bursting on the back and neck - really gave it that quality feel. A dolphin I played also had the same quality feel, but just didn't suit me.

Does it differ model to model? IE Orca VS Twangmeister?

Probably. I haven't had the chance to play a Krauster (which I'm always inclined to think is "Krautser") or the Twangmeister, but the shop clearly puts out a lot more of these, especially in the case of the former where it feels like 3 or 4 to 1 with the Orcas. Ten years ago it was Nik with a few helping hands. They've definitely scaled up production lately and I'm not sure how that's going to effect quality, but I think it's safe to say that the lower rung Hubers are seeing less hands-on Huber time lately. If I had to wager a guess I'd say it's probably still a comparable guitar, but it'd be just that - a guess.

They are ALL made in Germany right?

I'm nearly positive. This isn't that PBG shit ;)

What is a suitable price range for a twangmeister? 2500-3000?

Yup. I saw a trans white twangmeister hang around on eBay in the low $2ks (used), and dealers seem to shoot aroudn $3200, so I think you're in the right range.

As to the neck, I have to agree with Elq. That combined with a fret size much smaller than predominant ss.org preferences, and it definitely put it into vintage-land in terms of overall feel. I imagine the applehorn neck is similar to the horus neck? If that's the case, then a similar boxiness very close to the nut, but the horus gradually widens and flattens out, where the Orca almost immediately becomes a hair's width away from a 59' profile (and that's not on the 59' models - that's just the standard as far as I can tell).

Really comfortable neck, and my old Orca was an absolute standout guitar. It was one of my first explorations into boutique guitars so I was still in the mindset that all the other popular exclusive builders must be better, but that guitar was pretty much as good as it gets for that sort of thing. Can't comment on the Twangmeister specifically, but if their Orcas are any indication then they should be pretty good.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Though I suppose if I was trying to go into that tonal footprint and I didn't want a straight-up telecaster, I'd probably give those wirebird guitars a shot? It seems they would cater the specs a bit better to guys who are used to a lot of modern guitar conveniences, and their bridges are really cool.

metecem

Reaction score
If you are in for a six string and are looking for something different, why not check out Deimel Guitars, in Berlin Germany? That guy sure does have a bunch of great ideas.

')