NILE SACRIFICE UNTO SEBEK

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, this is the bassplayer-less video :lol: that song is pretty sweet though.

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
They don't really announce having a bass player in the band, it's just a random dude....that records with them and plays shows with them. George Kolias is the first stable drummer they've had.

garden of grey

Reaction score
Isn't this a really old video?

Still an awesome guitar and song.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
They don't really announce having a bass player in the band, it's just a random dude....that records with them and plays shows with them. George Kolias is the first stable drummer they've had.

Yeah, it's pretty much the Karl & Dallas show, but hopefully Kolias sticks... he's been the best IMHO. There's pretty much no bass most places in their current material, and though Dallas was credited with "bass" on the new album, I really can't tell where it is. :scratch: The drums pretty much fill in for it in the mix. The new album is great though, on par with the last two (Annihilation' and 'Shrines) but a bit different as they were from each other. Ithyphallic FTW. :yesway:

Murder Soul

Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty much the Karl & Dallas show, but hopefully Kolias sticks... he's been the best IMHO. There's pretty much no bass most places in their current material, and though Dallas was credited with "bass" on the new album, I really can't tell where it is. :scratch: The drums pretty much fill in for it in the mix. The new album is great though, on par with the last two (Annihilation' and 'Shrines) but a bit different as they were from each other. Ithyphallic FTW. :yesway:

With Karl tuned to Drop A, there really isn't much need for a bass. Go listen to Sacrifice unto Sebeck through a good pair of head phones (not ear buds). Theres some serious low end, just don't know if it was the guitars, or the bass :scratch:. I should try drop A sometime. Nothing like a .70 low A :lol:.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
There's bass on all Nile's albums, it's just lost in the mix somewhat, with all the cacophony of guitar/drum pwnage.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
With Karl tuned to Drop A, there really isn't much need for a bass. Go listen to Sacrifice unto Sebeck through a good pair of head phones (not ear buds). Theres some serious low end, just don't know if it was the guitars, or the bass :scratch:. I should try drop A sometime. Nothing like a .70 low A :lol:.

:shrug: Eh... I've got a pretty good set of closed headphones, Sony studio monitors in fact :agreed: which are pretty much flat response and their mix doesn't compare to say Disarmonia Mundi's 'Mind Tracks' album or In Flames' 'Soundtrack To Your Escape'. Nile's stuff hits when the drummer's fast on the toms or the kicks (which is 60% of the time, admittedly :lol:) but the bottom doesn't hold as consistent as with a dedicated bass player with a good spot in the mix IMHO. It works, it's just a different sound working the drums and guitars to fill in the bass. You can go too far the opposite direction to, Fear Factory's 'Archetype' is a good example of that with gutless drum and guitar sounds until the bass comes in to fill things out.

No bass player:
Nile.jpg

Nomad

Reaction score
Oh, this is the bassplayer-less video :lol: that song is pretty sweet though.

They do "have a new bass player" now. Pretty sure they didn't have one when this video was shot. You can hear someone slapping/popping some notes/diads in this video, playing a few runs here and there on the bass. Was Karl or Dallas on the studio track, probably Karl.

Kinda off on a tangent, but, a lot of bass players would say "I can't / don't want to double those insanely fast guitar riffs." The way I look at it, as a bass player, is not to double the guitar riffs but to play something that "pops" out at you. Maybe a tapping part, maybe a slapping part, ect.

Btw, does the new Nile album have the new bass player on it or what?

Eh, a guitar drop A doesn't come close to a 5 string bass drop A as far as thump goes. There IS bass in there, it's Karl/Dallas playing it, they just haven't found a proper bass player yet. They said they want to find one, but it has to be the right fit. Until then, no live bass I imagine...

')