NILE SACRIFICE UNTO SEBEK

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
I don't like Nile.:wavey:

I've listened to some albums. Specially listened to 'Sarcophagus' and 'Sacrifice Unto Sebek'.
I really can't see how these are complex songs. Would any gentle soul enlight me about what in those songs could make people call Nile a technical death metal band?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't like Nile.:wavey:

I've listened to some albums. Specially listened to 'Sarcophagus' and 'Sacrifice Unto Sebek'.
I really can't see how these are complex songs. Would any gentle soul enlight me about what in those songs could make people call Nile a technical death metal band?

Well... Sarcophagus is their doomiest song, and I cant understand how you dont think sebek is technical? the drumming is fucking insane and the riffing is awesome too! Listen to songs like the "burning pits of the duat" or "cast down the heretic" and you'll see what is technical about nile! :metal:

BZM

Reaction score
Yeah, Burning Pits of the Duat is definitely their most technical song.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
Extreme drumming is a basic for any decent death metal band, so I was really talking about the melodic/harmonic part.

:) Well, could you point out any specific lick on the song for me to analyze?

'Cause I really didn't see anything brilliant there, which I easily did in Necrophagist, for example.

Yeah, Burning Pits of the Duat is definitely their most technical song.

I'll search for that...:yesway: Thanks for you both^

Reaction score
technical does not equal melodic... IMO that is. But Nile does have a lot of really technical riffs. And they are very melodic too.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
By melodic such as in 'melodic/harmonic part' I was meaning it in a very strictly technical/music-theoretical way.

And I really can't see how a band could be called of having complex songs without being melodically rich.

Reaction score
Well... I see technical death as music that is hard to play... not music that is very theoretically musical. Cryptopsy is technical death and they are not very melodic at all. They just play some fucked up things...

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Umm...why the hell does it matter if it's technical or not. Nile fucking slays.

Also, why is it important enough to ressurect a dead thread?

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Eh, a guitar drop A doesn't come close to a 5 string bass drop A as far as thump goes. There IS bass in there, it's Karl/Dallas playing it, they just haven't found a proper bass player yet. They said they want to find one, but it has to be the right fit. Until then, no live bass I imagine...

Well, I saw them Monday night and they most definitely had a bassist. He does a fair portion of the vocals, too.

BZM

Reaction score

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
@Seedawakener:

Today 09:27 AM
Seedawakener Well... I see technical death as music that is hard to play... not music that is very theoretically musical. Cryptopsy is technical death and they are not very melodic at all. They just play some fucked up things...

Yesterday 05:25 PM
Kakaka By melodic such as in 'melodic/harmonic part' I was meaning it in a very strictly technical/music-theoretical way.

And I really can't see how a band could be called of having complex songs without being melodically rich.

From our chat, one would easily notice that we are not getting anywhere, simply because I'm discussing this kind of statement:"[...]Using a symphonic approach to songwriting and arrangement[...]"(Nile's own website at 'Band') and "[...]Nile's music is also characterized by its extreme complexity[...]"(Nile's WikiPage) and when I said 'melodic/harmonic part' I mean part of the song that comprehends all the notes used on it, both as lead, rythm, base or whatever, including chords. You know? I meant the theoretical musical definition of melody and harmony, not the popular concept of melodic music such as said of Angra or Stratovarius.

@Zepp88:Well, I wanted to talk about Nile and when you want to talk about something, looking for an already existing thread is the right way to do things around here, isn't it Zepp88?

Zepp88

Arktanian Diplomat
Contributor
Reaction score
Not really, I think this discussion took place in another ressurected thread...this thread was about their awesomeness and the awesomeness of that guitar, not really a discussion of their technicality or genre, etc...:shrug: whatev.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
The thread name's NILE SACRIFICE UNTO SEBEK. I'm talking about their musical characteristics on this song. On-topic enough for me.

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, tone it down a notch, or I'm closing the thread. :squint:

Kakaka, we got the point, you don't like Nile. Now, do you have anything else to contribute to this thread, or are you just stirring the pot to stir the pot?

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
Well, that was not the point and I don't really want to create bad reputation around, so since there's nothing of greater value on discussing this than in keeping the peace around, I just leave it and apologize for nothing.

Sorry for the agressive impression I caused, I wasn't really discussing in an agressive mood.:ugh:

Oh, and I'll listen to Spawn, BZM. Thanks for that.:flame:

')