Nile - Those Whom The Gods Detest

• Thread starter Tyrant
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jsousa

Reaction score
This album is super cool, and has much better production but man, that nile "drone" tone never goes away

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Nephren-Ka literally sounded like a bunch of mummies dug out of a catacomb playing death metal. It sounded rustic and authentic, that growl at the end of Stones of Sorrow...inhuman...

The newer albums sound, dare I say, human, polished. I'm not sure it's a production thing because Darkened Shrines had HUGE production and still managed to sound pretty nasty so it's hard to pin down, but they just seem to have lost their va-va-voom lol, although they're still a sick death metal band.

THIS.

They claim to get more and more epic, but every album after INTDS (their high point imo) seems to get less epic, although I do like this more than their last couple of albums. The slower they go, the better they are. "Stones of Sorrow", "Ruins", "Sarcophagus" etc, far better than any of their fast tracks.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Also I always wanted to ask someone this but, when listening to Beneath Eternal Oceans of Sand on ATCONK, can everyone else hear Karl breathing!? You might need recent headphones or speakers, but I swear I can hear him inhaling during the acoustic intro.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Anyone bitching about new Nile fails at life. They were awesome in the old days, and they're awesome now. Each and every album they've put out is epic and amazing. Does each one have good production? No, but that's another argument.

Personally I think Dallas is a much better vocalist than Karl or Chief Spires. I think Karl Sanders agrees or else he'd be singing more. He does have a cool growl, but Dallas is on another level. It's like comparing Corpsegrinder (awesome) to Chris Barnes (meh).

TWTGD is a great album that will continue to grow on me like all their albums have. I can't wait to pick it up :metal:

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
I love nile's music but i wish they didn't detune so low. The play fast enough to have a little tighter sound. Lots of their notes get lost in the chaos.

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic but just saw this vid of them playing Black Seeds of Vengeance (have to fast-forward a bit), pure metalllll!

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
Anyone ever notice these guys have the longest song names? But they're always some really epic story/summoning. :hbang:

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump! Now I actually own the album and have spend some time listening to it, it's grown on me greatly, easily their best work since ITDS. The vocals aren't quite as inhuman as they used to be in places, but in terms of songs and memorable riffs this is doing way more for me than either Ithy or Annihilation.

RedSkull

riffs master
Reaction score
Sorry for the bump! Now I actually own the album and have spend some time listening to it, it's grown on me greatly, easily their best work since ITDS. The vocals aren't quite as inhuman as they used to be in places, but in terms of songs and memorable riffs this is doing way more for me than either Ithy or Annihilation.

Exact same here, except I love it on first listen

')