Nile, wtf?

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Might-is-Right

As a Lion...
Reaction score
For those of you who are so disappointed...I find your lack of faith disturbing. Seriously, I'd be hesitant to give up on the album after one new song that sounds a bit different. This is still very much Nile, the mix is probably whats throwing everyone. The raw vocal parts remind me a bit of Stones of Sorrow which is definetely not a bad thing.

Personally I like the song and am very much looking forward to the album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I don't know what potato you were listening to that song out of, but that was fucking awesome, had the acclaimed Nile style and was something new, not the same old re-hashed stuff everyone keeps wanting to hear from the bands first recordings.

I dig.

BMU

Reaction score
I don't know what potato you were listening to that song out of, but that was fucking awesome, had the acclaimed Nile style and was something new, not the same old re-hashed stuff everyone keeps wanting to hear from the bands first recordings.

I dig.
What that guy said.

I'm so confused by this thread. The song I'm hearing sounds amazing and yes, has a lot of Black Seeds in which is A VERY GOOD THING in my book.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
Sounds like an unfinished mix to me. I don't think it's done. Well, I'm hoping it isn't done.

EDIT:
Let me clarify. I love old-school mixing techniques to death. However, when it comes to most metal I think it requires a very technical and processed approach to sound good. :shrug:

revclay

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of the vocals, but I enjoyed the song quite a bit. I'm not sure if I like the transition at ~3:00 or so but I bet I would get over it after a few listens. And sure, the production is a bit raw, but I kind of like it. It's nice to hear Nile doing something different. I stopped following them closely because I feel like a lot of their stuff was starting to sound the same. This sounds fresh so that in and of itself is commendable to me.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Not the greatest Nile song ever, but I can't understand the overwhelming disappointment. I say that with good faith that the online stream is not a reflection of the sound quality of the official release... and I'm a sucker for when Nile works a slow, lurching section into their faster songs.

CrownofWorms

Reaction score
I dig it. The shouted vocals is from an old vocalist that used to play in Nile. I read somewhere that he would be heard throughout this album(not saying all of it, but he would be a lot more present)

UnderTheSign

Reaction score
I don't mind the vocals. Mix could've been a bit thicker and drums could've been a bit lower but it's perfectly listenable.

What I'm worried about is the promo shot... Nile gone pretty boy?
nile2012f.jpg

Underworld

Reaction score
The guitars sound thin, I don't like the vocals and the mix in general. I've never been a true Nile fan, and this album won't help. Too bad for me I guess!

Reaction score
Also just because the song isn't Kafir doesn't mean George isn't doing hard stuff, or going to to do "krayzzee" stuff on the album. If you are listening to a band purely for blast beats at 290 you are doing it wrong.

I never said what he is playing isn't hard, all I am asking for is an extended double bass roll at 270. Is is something that George can do, and few people can do it so I was expecting to hear it.

It would have make the slower parts sound more interesting.

I am speaking as a big Nile/George fan, it just seems the song is a bit stripped down.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's fucking awesome.
And seriously, if that drumming isn't crazy I don't know what is.

Prydogga

Giddyup.
Reaction score
'The song has no structure'

:scratch: I thought the riffs evolved well over time, it may be very linear, but I thought it was well executed.

The vocals (especially at 3:20) and the drum mix are a little odd to me, but overall I really dug this song. :yesway:

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Sounds like a demo version but the guitar riffs are pretty cool and IMO the mix is clearer than there recent albums even if it is weak/thin.

Reaction score
Personally I HATE Neil Kernon's mixing on Nile's stuff..I hate Neil Kernon's stuff in general..I hate the way he fucked up Cannibal Corpse's The Wretched Spawn. I'd take this over the way he fucked up their last cds.

As for Nile's "new" sound here, what's wrong with it? A band is doing something different? *gasp* Heaven forbid it doesn't sound like the stuff they've been doing. I think everyone's overreacting and it annoys me when people get their tits in the wringer over a band trying to add something to their collection of work instead of a long lineage of basic.

I like the new song. I haven't really payed metal much attention as of late but I find myself listening to this song multiple times. I'll be picking this up

metalstrike

I love signature guitars!
Reaction score
I like it. To me it sounds better than most of the songs on their last few albums.

Grack

Tr00 and Kvlt
Reaction score
Not particularly a bad song, sounds like your standard Nile. Ugh, but those clean/shouted vocals are fucking awful, absolutely dreadful. Some guitar parts sound improvised, and not in a good way either.

And, you know, guitars too thin/weak, lack of overall bass, blah blah blah...

Love the album art, though.

')