Nile, wtf?

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lon

drop it like its G#!
Reaction score
sounds terrible, of course everything is subjective but it violates pretty much every production aesthetic i've grown to admire

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Von Goosewing

Contributor
Reaction score
Gets a :yesway: from me, that's coming from someone who bought 'In Their Darkened Shrines' when it came out and went :shrug:, not listened since. I particularly liked:
-Are those guitars in standard tuning??!?!?
It's always a deal-breaker for me :lol:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I like the song, seriously! :fawk:

What's interesting is that they seem to have tuned up. This song is definitely tuned to D. But it sounds like classic Nile to me, and I like the fact that the structure is all over thte place :yesway:

edit: as I heard the song again, I noticed it is tuned to their old A tuning, but the lower notes are barely used.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I like the song, seriously! :fawk:

What's interesting is that they seem to have tuned up. This song is definitely tuned to D. But it sounds like classic Nile to me, and I like the fact that the structure is all over thte place :yesway:

I'm sorry but are you guys tone deaf? Definitely tuned to D what?

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I'm sorry but are you guys tone deaf? Definitely tuned to D what?

Sounds like D to me. I even played along with it. :lol:

Or my notebook sound really really sucks. I'll use my headphones next time. :lol:

update: Just heard the whole song again, it is tuned lower than D, but they only used the lower notes in some parts. The key of the song is in D, and most of the song would be easily playabe in a D tuned six, but near the end I heard they reaching a low C and some other notes, and now that I paid attention, the end note is a low A.

I ain't tone deaf sir, in fact, I can even identify the pitch of water dropping in the ground if I pay attention to it.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like D to me. I even played along with it. :lol:

Or my notebook sound really really sucks. I'll use my headphones next time. :lol:

update: Just heard the whole song again, it is tuned lower than D, but they only used the lower notes in some parts. The key of the song is in D, and most of the song would be easily playabe in a D tuned six, but near the end I heard they reaching a low C and some other notes, and now that I paid attention, the end note is a low A.

I ain't tone deaf sir, in fact, I can even identify the pitch of water dropping in the ground if I pay attention to it.

Yeah, the song is in D minor as far as I can tell. I guess it's played in their normal drop A tuning.

And the tone deaf comment wasn't serious, I am rarely serious :)

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Yeah, the song is in D minor as far as I can tell. I guess it's played in their normal drop A tuning.

And the tone deaf comment wasn't serious, I am rarely serious :)

Oh, it's ok, I'm not offended. The first time I heard it, I couldn't hear the other notes properly because of the shitty notebook song, I figured they changed the tuning! lol

But yeah, it's in A, the last note he hits is the low A :hbang:

samu

Reaction score
I'll admit Karl's vocals suck major schlong and the guitar sounds a bit thin, but come on guys, it's not that bad!

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a couple of absolutely standout Nile tracks? I've seen SO many people loving this band and everything I've heard to date just sounds like boring riff salad to me. I have to be missing something... :(

This track didn't really do anything for me - the drumming was ok and for the most part I like the guitars, but the mix is pretty brutal and the vocals at time are....not good.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Can someone recommend a couple of absolutely standout Nile tracks? I've seen SO many people loving this band and everything I've heard to date just sounds like boring riff salad to me. I have to be missing something... :(

This track didn't really do anything for me - the drumming was ok and for the most part I like the guitars, but the mix is pretty brutal and the vocals at time are....not good.

"boring riff salad" :lol: LMAO

Never head this term before, but I enjoyed it a lot. :D

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
to each their own mates

i like the tone, but i was expecting the usual thickness, will wait for the album for final judgment. the drums didn't bug me really

the shouting they have done in the past, just not as prominent ina song.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I dig everything besides the middle-of-the-road vocals, it just sounds ...lacking? I don't know how else to explain it, it's like their not sung to their full potential whereas the growls/death metal vocals are fine and the sung ones are a nice contrast.

in-pursuit

Reaction score

My personal favorite would the title track from Annihilation of the Wicked, if that doesn't rub you the right way there's not much hope for you :p

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
My personal favorite would the title track from Annihilation of the Wicked, if that doesn't rub you the right way there's not much hope for you :p

Agreed. That whole album is one gigantic factory of awesome riffs (it's my favorite Nile album, consequently), but the title track is the capstone of it all. Also, "Lashed to the Slave Stick."

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
It's a shame how many of you rely on one style of production to suit your tastes. You guys should try listening to metal albums before 2003.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
It's a shame how many of you rely on one style of production to suit your tastes. You guys should try listening to metal albums before 2003.

My favorite album is Pierced from Within though.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
My comment wasn't directed at you, seeing as how you enjoy Mithras. They're certainly not the kind of band with a polished and punchy production.

Odinvader

Banned
Reaction score
What do you think?

Unequivocally unimpressive, like a majority of what Nile has written.

If I want fast, technical, heavy death metal, I'll listen to:

- Gorguts: The Erosion of Sanity
- Suffocaiton: Effigy of the Forgotten
- Deicide: Legion

The only reason why anyone tolerates Nile is because the guitar players can actually play, and they don't look like R U TALKIN TO ME?! white trash or scene kids ripping off riffs from In Flames and At the Gates. However, that only gets you so far. Nile is overrated, and their new material isn't their best.

')