Nile, wtf?

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

morestrings111

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good. I'm not much of a Nile fan...frankly, I haven't really paid attention to them for years. But I enjoyed that track.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
On further listens, this sounds like a perfect mix of all their previous work. I hear Catacombs, Black seeds, Darkened Shrines, Annihilation, Ihyphallic and Gods all in this one track. The riffing is a great mix of all styles, the vocals are all things that they've done before, even the cleans.

The production feels like an attempt to recreate the tone of their first two albums with modern equipment.

For a person to hate this, they have to not be a fan of all of Nile's work, because it feels like a "Nile in a nutshell" track to me.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
It's a shame how many of you rely on one style of production to suit your tastes. You guys should try listening to metal albums before 2003.

I love how there were so many more chances taken back in the day with album production, perhaps partly from necessity and lack of the kind of information available now. But the production is such a big part of some my favourite DM albums, Gateways, Pierced, None So Vile, it's a stand-out feature that really distinguished bands. Not so much these days.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Sounds like something from "Amongst the catacombs" of Nephren Ka, the band Nile were when I first started listening them, when it was pretty much just the Karl Sanders project.

For those that say the drumming was not crazy, or the Egyptian theme was gone, were we listening to the same track? The production is not as "crisp" as it has been on their latest albums, but has anyone considered that perhaps that is what they are going for? If the writing style has rolled the clock back some some 14 years, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise they went for something a bit different in terms of production.

As said, I think some members need to go back and remind themselves that a "good mix" is not something that was invented in 2003.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
This is not NEARLY as bad as I was expecting it to be when I read all the comments. I'm just now listening to the track. I like it. :shrug:

The mix doesn't sound nearly as muffled as some of the other ones I've heard from them. I agree that the vocals are less than desireable, but still not *terrible*. I still think they kinda fit, they just don't sound that great.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I knew Bozz would be in here holding it down as a huge Nile fan. LOL. I'm torn about this song. I've never really been crazy about their guitar tone and production. I love the "laid back" drums. I'm down with them doing pretty much anything different.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
I dug the clean egyptian break, song needs more of that in the vein of Lykathea Aflame. oh yeah, and the vocals kick fucking ass, and the fact that dallas wasn't on vox on this track means you know they've got some of those beast growls coming up in other tracks.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I can't believe some peeps said the drumming isn't nuts on this song... what the hell were you listening for?

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
I can't believe some peeps said the drumming isn't nuts on this song... what the hell were you listening for?

Seems like some people consider 290bpm blast beats and nothing else to be interesting.

theleem

Reaction score
The vocals were a bit of a surprise to me, and the mix wasn't the greatest I've ever heard, but I'm still digging this song. Nile is one of my all time favorites, and I'm sure this album will kick an obscene amount of ass.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Changing my mind. I actually love the vocals for some reason. I love that Nile and Cattle Decapitation throw stuff like that in. 100% buying this. I expect every Nile album to be mixed poorly. We're never gonna get solid, modern, production quality from these guys.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
The mix is quite a bit drier then the previous few albums, so it'll be interesting to see how that works on the new release.

As to the track. It's a bit different to their last few albums, again, and bring on the new release. It seems to be a bit more direct. If the rest is like that it could be interesting.

I like Nile quite a lot, btw.

welsh_7stinger

7=best number
Reaction score
I find it soudns really good, the mix sounds nothing different from what ive heard before in recent death metal. The vocals sound and suit the music, the song structure feels normal to me, it feels like one long section (not a bad thing) not just verse-chorus-verse-choru-bridge etc. Like other posters have said it's one song off the album. save your bitching when you have listend to the whole album.

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
This one's definitely a grower, listening for the 10th time and loving it.

And yeah who the hell said there was no egyptian theme? :nuts:

rainbowbrite

Reaction score
It's a shame how many of you rely on one style of production to suit your tastes. You guys should try listening to metal albums before 2003.

Why? You can only listen to angry bumble bees in soda cans for so long. There is a point when it becomes laborious to listen to something, because the production is horrid.

')