Nile, wtf?

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While I think you're right to a certain degree, you don't have to be an ass about it, and whining about rep gets you at least a day off every time. K?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I never mentioned perfect production. I mentioned production causing laborious listening. It is the equivalent of reading a short story with horrible, inaccessible syntax and grammar. There is nothing beautiful about guessing what someone is trying to communicate to you when they haven't put in the effort to make it understandable eg horrid production. Every time I listened to St. Anger (which was probably 3 times the week it was released, I really wanted it to be good) whenever I heard the snare it was like someone yelling "cocksucker" in my ear. The same thing when I try and listen to any death metal pre-2000--angry bumble bees all day long.

Your analogy fails; imperfect and/or trying production doesn't equate to issues with the musicians ability to perform on their instrument, the latter of which is IMO far more in line with your grammar and syntax analogy. Even then, those have been manipulated to fit the art since day 1.

Production, like many other avenues, has been used as a tool of expression and/or manipulation to compliment and/or advance the art for quite some time now; some of it done deliberately and some due to other factors (mostly economic).

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Sounds so thin compared to older stuff. Older stuff totally kicks ass.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Your analogy fails; imperfect and/or trying production doesn't equate to issues with the musicians ability to perform on their instrument, the latter of which is IMO far more in line with your grammar and syntax analogy. Even then, those have been manipulated to fit the art since day 1.

Production, like many other avenues, has been used as a tool of expression and/or manipulation to compliment and/or advance the art for quite some time now; some of it done deliberately and some due to other factors (mostly economic).

Thank you.

Also, the production on Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal", to mention an extreme example, is perfectly fitting for that very album and the material on it, as "bad" as it may be.

Fracionado

Reaction score
Well... I liked the song! Don't know what people are talking about with this song having no structure. I really liked how it progressed. And the mixing and snare tone don't bother me.. At all. Sure it could be a lot better, but I've listened to far worse mixes, in DM and other genres.

Definitely interested in hearing more of this album! :hbang:

mr_rainmaker

Resident Cherokee
Reaction score
ThreadDie2.jpg

IronGoliath

Reaction score
Stop arguing about one song already it's like a kid that's punching itself in the face because of a mosquito bite.

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
This song doesn't seem out of line to me from the direction I saw Nile heading in. In Their Darkened Shrines, the style, the tones, etc, will always hold a special place in my heart, but that doesn't mean I don't think this sounds great. Nile have always done their own thing, and from around BSoV / ItDS or so onward absolutely pwn'd at it, and this is no different to my ears.

Should have stuck with Erik Rutan. Man knows what he's doing.

FWIW, IMO, basically all H.E. albums disagree with that statement. LOVE them live, but the production of all their albums except I, Monarch and Phoenix was pretty much wet towel over speakers in a mudhole to me.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. In the first few seconds, the strange mix underwhelmed me, but that probably won't be a real problem in the end. The structure was cool, very busy but still cohesive enough for me. I absolutely loved the "I am Re" chorus at the end.

I'm sure Dallas' growls are not gone, but the weird new vocals gave me a mental image of some prophet of an ancient world screaming and ranting to a crowd about his visions and delusions. It's like a new, different vocal style. Something like that would actually fit Nile in my opinion!

Nile

Giver of the Likes
Reaction score
FWIW, IMO, basically all H.E. albums disagree with that statement. LOVE them live, but the production of all their albums except I, Monarch and Phoenix was pretty much wet towel over speakers in a mudhole to me.

What has the older HE albums got to do with it? :scratch: I'm talking about sticking with him because of Those Whom The Gods Detest, that album was really well produced.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The older H.E. albums have rather unflattering production values, with Rutan I believing have produced them from the beginning. I, Monarch's isn't bad and their newer stuff is improving on it, but the first 2 are pretty bad. Which is why saying they should've stuck with Rutan as their producer sans TWtGD could go either way. I think Ithyphallic and AotW also had solid production both of which were done by Kernon.

Defsan

Reaction score
It does sound pretty thin, but everything else is classic Nile and it's pretty good. The shouted vocals have been creeping in over the last few albums actually, and they sound good, matching the busy and frantic pace of the song.

Reaction score
The older H.E. albums have rather unflattering production values, with Rutan I believing have produced them from the beginning. I, Monarch's isn't bad and their newer stuff is improving on it, but the first 2 are pretty bad. Which is why saying they should've stuck with Rutan as their producer sans TWtGD could go either way. I think Ithyphallic and AotW also had solid production both of which were done by Kernon.

I think the first few were badly produced in all the right ways, this just sounds thin and weak.

Mazzy

Banned
Reaction score
The guitar tone is TERRIBLE. I simply could not listen to an entire album of that, it's actually physically painful... so harsh and shrill. The song itself was good though.

ShreddingDragon

Silence the discord
Reaction score
Isn't this album mixed by some pop producer? I think I read so on Wikipedia but forgot the name later. Sounds disasterous as an idea.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
What has the older HE albums got to do with it? :scratch: I'm talking about sticking with him because of Those Whom The Gods Detest, that album was really well produced.

TWTGD was done by Neil Kernon as well... so your point is kind of lost :scratch:

')