Nile, wtf?

• Thread starter Dores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
There are lots of mp3 encoders and encoding methods. By far, the best way way to encode mp3s is by using LAME with V2 or V0 preset. It's completely transparent in virtually every single scenario. The whole "mp3 sucks" thing is a huge myth dating back to late 90s and early 00s, when mp3 were indeed pretty lousy due to hardware limitations and slow internet. PCs at the time just couldn't handle good and fast lossy encoding and playback, and of course, p2p played a huge role in mp3s popularity, which is why bitrates of 128 or even 96 were preferred due to crappy internet speed. Nowadays we can easily achieve transparency, but the myth carries on.

Perception of sound is very individual though, we should always remember that :agreed:

V0 is not enough for me, I do FLAC for two reasons, sound quality and I cut and mix and process some music and like it lossless to not lose quality between operations.

However, I can (and many with me) abx most of the stuff I listen to, V2 and V0 vs FLAC, the only mp3 compression that works for me is cbr320 with one of the later LAME (3.98b and forward).

V0 is enough most of the time but with some very dynamic hi-fi music the cut-off algorithm isn't enough, however for me, cbr320 is as friggin transparent as can be, my library on my laptop (which is for listening while I travel) is all cbr320 and I couldn't ever tell the difference from FLAC (and if I ever did it was probably just placebo) :lol:

It is totally a myth that a well coded mp3 nowadays is of bad quality.

---

Anyway, I love this album, so catchy, so good. I have no problem with the production, as Zimbloth said, I never went to Nile for crystal clear production :lol: they have had the muddiest sound for a long time, and while this album is more clear imo, it has that charming old-school midrange weirdness going on instead.

Either way, sooo catchy. Love it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinchester

Reaction score
I have no problem with their production quality and I will never question Nile's incredible talent, but after like 5 listens of the entire album I find this quite.. forgettable. It's like everything is on full intensity all the time (a continuing trend from Those Whom the Gods Detest, I feel). I can't believe that is a complain for a Nile album :lol:, but it is. I'm also not a fan of the new over-the-top vocal they put here and there. It makes the dead serious context sounds a bit comedic.

As I write this I'm playing a few old Nile albums and I noticed that what is so great about Nile is that despite playing super intense music, they are masters at arrangement and moderation - creating "space" within the songs so the listener have enough room to comprehend all the details. I'm not a fan of brutal death metal but this aspect makes Nile one of my top favourite bands. But on this album, they totally overwhelmed me.

There goes my opinion. I'm evidently very confused. I really want to like this album, but it just doesn't click. I guess that means I don't.

Auslander

Complete Bastard
Reaction score
I have no problem with their production quality and I will never question Nile's incredible talent, but after like 5 listens of the entire album I find this quite.. forgettable. It's like everything is on full intensity all the time (a continuing trend from Those Whom the Gods Detest, I feel). I can't believe that is a complain for a Nile album :lol:, but it is. I'm also not a fan of the new over-the-top vocal they put here and there. It makes the dead serious context sounds a bit comedic.

As I write this I'm playing a few old Nile albums and I noticed that what is so great about Nile is that despite playing super intense music, they are masters at arrangement and moderation - creating "space" within the songs so the listener have enough room to comprehend all the details. I'm not a fan of brutal death metal but this aspect makes Nile one of my top favourite bands. But on this album, they totally overwhelmed me.

There goes my opinion. I'm evidently very confused. I really want to like this album, but it just doesn't click. I guess that means I don't.

This new album is definitely more impenetrable than any of the other ones, and will most likely take some time to get into. I really hope that you will come to enjoy it, given some more time to let it sink in.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Goddammit they should have made a whole album out that one chord in the beginning of The Fiends that come to steal the magick of the dead blahblahbladh

BREWWEEEE

')