Nine string gauges and tuning

• Thread starter TheEvilsocky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheEvilsocky

Reaction score
Hello I'm saving up for a nine string and was thinking of using rondo's suggested
tuning (standard 7 for bottom, bass E and A for top) but After learning of Chris Letchford's tuning (7 with added G on bottom) I thought of doing something
similar, the tuning would be spelled "E A D G C F A D G" Basically taking standard 8 string tuning add and A on the bottom and drop it a whole step the question
being what gauge should I use for this? I normally use extra slinky's on 6 strings
and normal slinky's on my 7 and I keep them tuned to Eb and C standard for 6 and Bb to A for seven.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Firstly, please know that the generally accepted way of referencing the strings is that the lowest tuned ones (the wound ones) are the bottom strings and the highest strings (unwound ones) are the top strings. It's not essential but makes it a lot less confusing/irritating to read for most people (read: me)

Well honestly if you're going for a nine-string I'd personally go for fanned frets (look into that, offers you a short scale for leads on the top and a long scale for tightness on the bottom). But if you're going for a single-scale (normal) instrument, it gets tricky, I'd go for 28 or 30 inches myself but you prefer looser tension so I'd recommend a 25.5 inch scale, with gauges as follows:

g-0.07
Regular E-E: 10-46 gauge set
B-0.64
E-0.80

Hope this helps :)

TheEvilsocky

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and I'm sorry about the aggravation,
I don't get to talk to other guitarist very often so I wasn't sure, but thanks again this will be helpful.

')