Nita Strauss interview with The Captain

• Thread starter Winger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chewpac

working up to 7...
Reaction score
Gravity storms in her Ibanez. I knew I liked her.

I really liked this vid. She's super cool. I saw her with Alice Cooper last year and she's a monster player and great on stage.

Thanks for posting this.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Finally watched it all. She is so great, not just an amazing guitarist but such a refreshingly nice and humble person too, really cool to listen to.

thanks for posting dude

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Really really awesome person.. not to mention her chops. I've always felt that Capt would be fun to jam with/ hang with and this just reinforces that thought. Very natural back-n-forth between them makes this easy to watch/ easy to like.

Thanks for sharing.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
The part of the interview about how she feels bout female guitar players today and her experiences was really interesting and good to see she feels things are moving fwd, more things like this video with the likes of Courtney Cox, Nikki Stringfield, Nili Brosh etc be so good

Tbh I never really been a big fan of Lee but actually this interview he is really cool and asks all the right questions you know, rather than being the usual "Captain & Chappers" persona that he is in most the other videos....

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not suuuuuuuuuper blown away by her playing, at least not in this video. :shrug: Came off as a bit sloppy to my ears. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not *bad* playing, she's probably better than myself and a lot of other people, but I can't help but wonder how much her position as a "female-guitar-player/role-model" influences or inflates the praise she gets for the actual guitar playing.

I'll give her props for keeping the focus on the guitar, and the gear, and the playing, and all the good musical stuff we'd care about despite the Captain trying to push the interview in a "lets talk about the fact that you're a lady" direction. Was worth the watch. :yesway:

Edika

Reaction score
Nice interview and she seems like a really cool person. I remember seeing the video with Jason Becker and her genuinely freaked response, even for someone with her skill and being a pro musician, when she realized where they were going. It's a good thing to see more equality in the rock and metal scene and not being about women being singers and keyboard players.
What I'd also like to see as a next step is the de-sexualization of female musicians and especially in the rock and metal scene. Meaning that they don't have to appear as sexy wild things that also play instruments.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Despite how easy it is to watch and critique, the role of an interviewer is not necessarily an easy one... especially in an unrehearsed scenario. Not sure how much was discussed beforehand but it doesn't appear too much as the interview appeared fairly unrehearsed and very organic.

An interviewer must understand the 3 different aspects of direction... regardless of how the interview is perceived as a success, a disaster, or a yawn-fest. There is the focus of the interviewer to get the story that THEY want to get... the story that the TALENT wants to give ( actor/ model/ musician/ etc)... and the story that the interviewer feels that the AUDIENCE wants to hear/ watch.

That's a good deal for the interviewer to manage in a LIVE situation... even in a shorter-length interview. It's not as easy as it looks.

Overall you're obviously not going to appeal to everyone. But I feel that Lee and Nita used their allotted time wisely and were successful in regards to managing all 3 potential interests.. the interests of himself, of her, and of the audience.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, but both nicknames were already taken...

Winger

Reaction score
I thought her playing was uninspired too, but I put it down to fatigue. She was either just starting or in the middle of a clinic tour in Europe when this was recorded.

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
I only watched part of it, but i think she's great, and i hope she does a solo album someday.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Just finished watching this interview and, IMO, probably the best interview I've seen on the Anderton's channel. Hopefully, there will be more interesting interview like this in the future!

Rolanthas

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not suuuuuuuuuper blown away by her playing, at least not in this video. :shrug: Came off as a bit sloppy to my ears. Don't get me wrong, it's certainly not *bad* playing, she's probably better than myself and a lot of other people, but I can't help but wonder how much her position as a "female-guitar-player/role-model" influences or inflates the praise she gets for the actual guitar playing.

While she certainly gets attention due to being a female in a ridiculously male populated genre / instrument, she is also a much, much better instrumentalist than how it comes across in this video.

Andertons are doing artist Q&A videos more frequent lately. Hope that continues.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Yeh, my comment earlier was mostly just about this one particular video. Like someone said, maybe she's exhausted or something, can't be expected to be 100% brilliant all the time. I came across a video someone posted on facebook of her playing some stuff at a NAMM show and was much more impressed by that one.

Latest posts

')