NMD (New Module Day): K.J. Mods Troll

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Sup folks,

After discussing with Kyle, wich is a member here, about his module modification in the MTS thread, I decided to give it a try and send my almost unused Ultra XL to get a complete makeover. Basically, he modified the base circuit a little and added three extra three position switch, wich mean a total of 27 combinations added. Had the time a little yesterday to give it a quick try, so far I'm satisfied, I'll try to use it as my "Thrash Rythm channel" and keep my 1086 as my "Sludge Rythm channel". The switch on it change the sound quite a lot, especially the mid one (I don't ear a lot of difference with the low switch, but that might be caused by my muddy cab lol). I'll have to fuck around with those a lot to get used to it ahaha

I found the package between my front doors, at a freezing -20°C (-4°F). Not really good for the tubes, eh... stupid Canada Post

So, enough talking, here comes the pictures. No clip, I tried to video record using my little camera, but it was too loud and it sounds like shit, maybe I'll be able to post some later on.

The original un-modified Ultra XL
1315-0.jpg

Package, knife and a module
p1000114u.jpg

Here it is! Custom faceplate with my band's mascott and "Troll" instead of "Gain". That way, I'll be able to add or remove some troll in my sound :metal:
p1000116d.jpg

Picture of my jamming place. Used to have more amps than that (lost a couple of bandmates...) On the left, my lead's guitarist amp (Peavey 3120), on the right my amp (Randall RM100). Cabs are a 6505 on the left and a Triple XXX on the right, but both have the same speakers (2x 6505 & 2x Triple XXX).
p1000119k.jpg

Amp from a closer view with the last setting I've used. Mids joke aren't allowed here. Slipknot jokes are welcome, though
p1000142q.jpg

And thats it for today, cheers!
- Y.V.Roy

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kylendm

Electrical Mercenary
Reaction score
Awesome!

Just so everyone knows. The first switch is a tight switch, second is a general mid switch, and third is a low-mid switch to really add low end and roar.

You'll hear the low-mid switch more if you roll back the gain and roll up the mids more but it really depends on the cab too because like you said if the cab is muddy low frequency changes wont be as noticeable.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Awesome!

Just so everyone knows. The first switch is a tight switch, second is a general mid switch, and third is a low-mid switch to really add low end and roar.

You'll hear the low-mid switch more if you roll back the gain and roll up the mids more but it really depends on the cab too because like you said if the cab is muddy low frequency changes wont be as noticeable.

Right, seems like I should have asked for the switch to be labeled :lol:

I'll try it again soon enough. Thanks for the clarification Kyle :metal:

disk11

Reaction score
Very cool.

Kinda off topic, but I got an XTC for sludge tones. Have you compared the 1086 to it?

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Very cool.

Kinda off topic, but I got an XTC for sludge tones. Have you compared the 1086 to it?

Never tried the XTC, the only modules I have comes from the previous owner (1086, Threadplate, Clean and formerly the Ultra XL). The 1086 have plenty of low end with a little extra gain to the sound, hard to describe.

')