NMGD: RGDX7620-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I figured I'd share a few shots with you guys, just finished putting it together today actually.

The body is Courtney's (2018 Customs and Studio) Solo Artist RDX design, which is based an RGD style body that is made of African Mahogany, dark/red stain and finished with tung oil. Then this kickass body was mated with a 98' RG7620 neck and hardware and Seymour Duncan Fullshred pups :hbang:

Can't have a thread without pics, so here ya go! :metal:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This things slays and I couldn't be happier with the way the body came out (thanks!), I'm only having one issue at the moment... somehow the input jack is screwed up and there seems to be a little wiggle room in there and it's not making a solid connection. I have to pull up on the cord for it to make a solid connection and I'm not really sure how one would go about fixing a barrel input jack. So, switchcraft 1 > me 0. :realmad:

edit: :lol: @ thread title, I meant to change that before I made the thread. ha

Attachments

• P1010595.jpg
    P1010595.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 595
  • P1010596.jpg
    P1010596.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 583
  • P1010597.jpg
    P1010597.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 578
  • P1010598.jpg
    P1010598.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 573
  • P1010599.jpg
    P1010599.jpg
    600.1 KB · Views: 576

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I just edited it the post, it is a barrel jack... I have no clue how that could've gotten messed up, if it were the regular style this wouldn't have been an issue.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're right, I installed the bridge and studs myself, probably needs to be adjusted. I suck.

is it just me, or does that bridge pup sit a little bit funny in its route?

Thanks for pointing that out, I probably would've noticed earlier if I wasn't just playing heavy riffs on the low strings all day. As soon as I played something on the bottom three strings, you could hear that it was a little off, and if you look at the pics you can see the pole pieces don't line up with those three strings.

Basically I'm going to have to move the stud back a few millimeters on the treble-side. Should be fun. :wallbash::wallbash:

Ruins

Reaction score
wow this looks amazing!!!! i love that color and the woood and everything about it.
congrats dude.

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
I dig it. :tmm:
but is it just me, or does the low B and high E string both sit dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
The E does look very close to the edge, the low B looks alright though

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I dig it. :tmm:
but is it just me, or does the low B and high E string both sit dangerously close to the edge of the fretboard?
The E does look very close to the edge, the low B looks alright though

yeh, you're right. It's the stud on the treble side of the trem, it needs to be adjusted. also, I might have to nudge the neck slightly as well. it's the damnedest thing, the lower four strings sound great and brutal as hell, but the high strings sound shrill and twangy because of the awkward angle.

Anyone have any ideas about the input jack, is there anyway to dismantle and fix it or should I just buy another new one or maybe there a better brand out there that makes the barrel-type input jacks?

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
That looks badass dude! I'm anxious to hear those full shred pickups. I ordered one but duncan kept sending me the 6 string version.

Your high E tuner is crooked. Fix it fix it fix it! :lol:

Anyways, super awesome guitar!

Zahs

Hmm, Upgrades?
Reaction score
That looks amazing, its got that h-rg + the rgd vibe ... real cool, very nice finish... congrats on the guitar.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Incoming horror story:

So I took the guitar back to the guy that put the neck on for me... apparently (according to him) he had taken it upon himself to actually redo the studs himself, so... basically I had it correct initially and he changed it out and is telling me it doesn't matter that it is slightly off. Also, he took it upon himself to take tools to the neck pocket, because he says it was too tight (i didn't think 'tight' was a problem), and basically it's not sitting in there quite right at the moment, which is why the high-e string is close to the edge. To top it off, he lost my strap mounts and is telling me that I didn't bring it to him... I better check at home.

Then he tells me that it doesn't matter that the pole pieces aren't lined up with on the treble-side and assures me it has absolutely nothing to do with the neck not being straight in the pocket and the bridge being slightly angled. As for the output jack thing, he tells me that switchcraft is junk, but then tells me thats how they're designed... so that they only work correctly when the cord is wrapped around the strap (good thing he lost my strap mount). :wallbash::wallbash:

Think thats bad? Well, while I'm sitting there we were discussing the finish and all the stuff he fucked up, and I step out for like a second to grab something out of my car... I come back and the guy is rubbing an old english oil stain/beeswax mixture on my guitar to show me what it will look like. Holy shit! I wanted to stab the guy.

:bathroom break: :ugh:

Thought I was done? lol, no. The coup de grace'? I got home 5-mins ago from work and open the electronics cavity because I notice the screws on there aren't the ones that I originally supplied. Wtf. Apparently the 500k CTS pots I purchased to be in the guitar weren't quite to his liking and he decided to ghetto-rig a 250k emg pots in there...

picture reference:
ABC-Abk.jpg

This is my luck with guitar tech's... I've never been able to find a single one that can get the job done right the first time that didn't take me finishing something myself or having to take it to someone else to kinda finish.

uggh.. anyone know any non-retarded semi-dependable guitar tech's in south jersey?
------------

anyways, thanks for the kind words guys. I'll get these minor details sorted out shortly and hopefully get to enjoy this beast in it's full glory!

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
That is one horrible story, dude. You have had more than your fair share of ultra shit luck, it seems.

But why were the trem post changed in the first place? Did you discuss this with him? That's quite a radical step if you hadn't mentioned it.

Also, when he proposes that neither the neck's nor the trem-post's misalignment account for the misalignment of the strings, what does he instead think it is? Do not let him attempt to fix the answer.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
:holy:

I would have PUNCHED that dude in the mouth. I do guitar work for a few guys around my town, and if i ever hear of somebody doing that, i will be sharing some aggressive words. :noplease:

This is what YOU should do. PLease tell me it s a music store.

Go to the manager, grab his ass over to the techs counter and point out EVERYTHING that you wrote in this thread, and DEMAND that they pay the amount you paid to build that guitar, then never return.

Alternate ending, you can smash the guitar on the techs counter and leave. :lol:

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
That is one horrible story, dude. You have had more than your fair share of ultra shit luck, it seems.

But why were the trem post changed in the first place? Did you discuss this with him? That's quite a radical step if you hadn't mentioned it.

Also, when he proposes that neither the neck's nor the trem-post's misalignment account for the misalignment of the strings, what does he instead think it is? Do not let him attempt to fix the answer.

I'm gluten for punishment apparently. :lol::lol:

All of the stuff I mentioned that sounds silly, I didn't ask for... he just went ahead and did all of this shit on his own and then acts as if he just blessed the guitar. I asked for factory spec set-up and left my current 7620 there for him to get everything exact if he needed measurements and such.

After I noted all that stuff in the previous post, he basically said that the miniscule difference in the trem post wasn't going to make a difference, and that the neck was as good as he could possibly get it. Then I said, "We'll if the best you can do is leave it screwed up, I could've fucked it up myself...", to that end he started with some BS about how he undercharged me for the job and that if I wanted it perfect then he should be charging 3x the amount. Then he went on to talk about how most guitarists are anal and want everything perfect blahblahblah.

I still have no clue why he messed with the trem posts, that part is beyond my comprehension and apparently his as well, because at first he said he fixed it and insisted on that until I measured it right in front of him.

Just a short list of guitar-tech mishaps I've had lately:
-guitarsetup - paid in advance, guy sets up everything but the trem, he can't work with floyds, he recommends the guy I'm mentioning in this thread.
-pickup install - neck pickup didn't wasn't wired properly.
--brought it back to get that fixed - fixed neck wiring, but I later find out that he dropped my guitar and tried to cover it up the scar with black nail polish.
-guitar setup - this guy does an excellent setup but fails to mention that he broke my tremol-no and tried to fix it with superglue. also, he glues in a piece of wood to block the trem without asking me. fail
-guitar set-up - I always emphasize that I like low set-ups, this guy gives me the ol' SRV set-up where you need to be a powerlifter and blow some lines of coke to be able to approach.

Thats just the recent stuff that I can remember... basically every guitar set-up I've ever gotten, I've had to toy with myself to get it how I asked initially. I've started doing my own set-ups now, but I didn't want to attempt to assemble this guitar on my own.

There is some good news.. after I posted that last post, I immediately went to the gym. Holy shit... one of the few local luthiers in there pumping iron as soon as I walk in the door. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I'll be dropping by his place tomorrow night after work. :hbang:

:holy:

I would have PUNCHED that dude in the mouth. I do guitar work for a few guys around my town, and if i ever hear of somebody doing that, i will be sharing some aggressive words. :noplease:

This is what YOU should do. PLease tell me it s a music store.

Go to the manager, grab his ass over to the techs counter and point out EVERYTHING that you wrote in this thread, and DEMAND that they pay the amount you paid to build that guitar, then never return.

Alternate ending, you can smash the guitar on the techs counter and leave. :lol:

He doesn't work in a music store unfortunately... and oddly enough, all of the other work I've seen the guy do for friends and other players has been stellar. I just happen to have shit luck... like when a tech sees me or a seven string they just lose all grasp of their knowledge. I really can't explain it... :noplease:

308sc

Reaction score
I'm gluten for punishment apparently. :lol::lol:

All of the stuff I mentioned that sounds silly, I didn't ask for... he just went ahead and did all of this shit on his own and then acts as if he just blessed the guitar. I asked for factory spec set-up and left my current 7620 there for him to get everything exact if he needed measurements and such.

After I noted all that stuff in the previous post, he basically said that the miniscule difference in the trem post wasn't going to make a difference, and that the neck was as good as he could possibly get it. Then I said, "We'll if the best you can do is leave it screwed up, I could've fucked it up myself...", to that end he started with some BS about how he undercharged me for the job and that if I wanted it perfect then he should be charging 3x the amount. Then he went on to talk about how most guitarists are anal and want everything perfect blahblahblah.

I still have no clue why he messed with the trem posts, that part is beyond my comprehension and apparently his as well, because at first he said he fixed it and insisted on that until I measured it right in front of him.

Just a short list of guitar-tech mishaps I've had lately:
-guitarsetup - paid in advance, guy sets up everything but the trem, he can't work with floyds, he recommends the guy I'm mentioning in this thread.
-pickup install - neck pickup didn't wasn't wired properly.
--brought it back to get that fixed - fixed neck wiring, but I later find out that he dropped my guitar and tried to cover it up the scar with black nail polish.
-guitar setup - this guy does an excellent setup but fails to mention that he broke my tremol-no and tried to fix it with superglue. also, he glues in a piece of wood to block the trem without asking me. fail
-guitar set-up - I always emphasize that I like low set-ups, this guy gives me the ol' SRV set-up where you need to be a powerlifter and blow some lines of coke to be able to approach.

Thats just the recent stuff that I can remember... basically every guitar set-up I've ever gotten, I've had to toy with myself to get it how I asked initially. I've started doing my own set-ups now, but I didn't want to attempt to assemble this guitar on my own.

There is some good news.. after I posted that last post, I immediately went to the gym. Holy shit... one of the few local luthiers in there pumping iron as soon as I walk in the door. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I'll be dropping by his place tomorrow night after work. :hbang:

He doesn't work in a music store unfortunately... and oddly enough, all of the other work I've seen the guy do for friends and other players has been stellar. I just happen to have shit luck... like when a tech sees me or a seven string they just lose all grasp of their knowledge. I really can't explain it... :noplease:

You my friend have some bad luck and shitty techs in your area.
Better days ahead :metal:

Status
Not open for further replies.
')