NMGD: RGDX7620-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Man I'd have lost it on the guy by now. I don't think I've ever brought one of my guitars to a tech due to these kinds of horror stories.. I just learn how to do everything myself and I even have a cheap 7 string and a cheap 6 string I test more extreme things on :lol: (Such as refinishing, bridge replacement, routing, etc..)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
I hear ya, thats the best thing to do and besides getting these total screwups fixed by a real luthier, I'll be doing everything else on my own from this point on. I'll pick up some cheap fixer uppers on CL or Ebay soon to practice on their frets and such.

The frets are the main reason I took it to the guy as they were pretty beat up when I got the neck off of ebay.. thats probably the only part of the guitar he didn't mess up. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hear ya, thats the best thing to do and besides getting these total screwups fixed by a real luthier, I'll be doing everything else on my own from this point on. I'll pick up some cheap fixer uppers on CL or Ebay soon to practice on their frets and such.

The frets are the main reason I took it to the guy as they were pretty beat up when I got the neck off of ebay.. thats probably the only part of the guitar he didn't mess up. :lol:

Get yourself a copy of "Guitar Player's Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. Amazon is selling used copies for as little as $4.00, and it's worth EVERY PENNY of the $32.00 new price, and them some.

I learned more about tech by reading that book, cover to cover, then working along side a professional tech (a really good one too) for three years.

I will say though, that 90% of the specialized tools for set-ups and repairs you'll never really need. You can spend about $60 at Home Depot and be set-up almost indefinitely, minus disposables of course.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Get yourself a copy of "Guitar Player's Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine. Amazon is selling used copies for as little as $4.00, and it's worth EVERY PENNY of the $32.00 new price, and them some.

I learned more about tech by reading that book, cover to cover, then working along side a professional tech (a really good one too) for three years.

I will say though, that 90% of the specialized tools for set-ups and repairs you'll never really need. You can spend about $60 at Home Depot and be set-up almost indefinitely, minus disposables of course.

Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. :bowdown:

I just ordered the book tonight, hopefully it'll arrive in good condition (i bought it used).

Status update on the guitar: Took it apart with the luthier I mentioned yesterday; we went through and found everything that was goofed up on it. Then went through and repaired everything within 3 hours. The only thing left now is for the epoxy to dry, then put everything back together in a few days. Instead of paying cash, since I'm cool with the guy we are working on the barter system since I have lots of guitar hardware lying around here and basically he'll fix the issues and I can use whatever is in his shop if I need to do anything. Win!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice man, I really appreciate it. :bowdown:

I just ordered the book tonight, hopefully it'll arrive in good condition (i bought it used).

Status update on the guitar: Took it apart with the luthier I mentioned yesterday; we went through and found everything that was goofed up on it. Then went through and repaired everything within 3 hours. The only thing left now is for the epoxy to dry, then put everything back together in a few days. Instead of paying cash, since I'm cool with the guy we are working on the barter system since I have lots of guitar hardware lying around here and basically he'll fix the issues and I can use whatever is in his shop if I need to do anything. Win!

No problem bro! :hbang:

For the record, Dan Erlewine is to guitar techs, what Les Paul was to the solid body electric guitar. Any book, pamphlet, VHS, or DVD by the man will be supremely helpful.

Great to hear you got everything sorted out bro! Now a great looking guitar, can be a great playing one too!

Wi77iam

Ibanez fanboi
Reaction score
Also ordered myself a book. :metal: Will be restoring a Yamaha RGX211, probably have a go at reboarding and refretting it.

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Man that guitar looks gorgeous!!! I want me one of those :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')