No drummer...a PC?

• Thread starter grogarage
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Would you replace the singer with a tape? A guitarist? I'm not sure that I'm ok with this... (says the guy who's considering using samples because keyboardists are rarer than hens' teeth...)

No, but there are times when certain vocals are on a backing track (guest spots from another musicians on tracks)

But I personally would only go as far as using a backing track for drums/keyboards, finding a reliable/responsible/on time drummer is a major time consuming effort, not to mention setup time/tear down, in some cases, it works real well, but for now, a proper PA does the trick, since most venues mic the drum kit anyway....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
One of my bands has been using programmed drum tracks for about 8 years, with no intention of ever having a live drummer.

The most important thing is setting things up so that you can hear the tracks. We'll usually bring a PA with us, and put it where the drummer would normally be, and we've used an iPod, a Zune, a CD player, and a MacBook at different times for the actual track playback.

It does look a bit odd on stage, not having a drummer, but for this band, it helps. For one thing, the whole thing is essentially a joke, and since there are a whole bunch of people who know the guitar and bass parts, whoever is available for a given show will play. Having programmed drum tracks eliminates a few variables, and since we live in NC, MD, and MA and can't practice together as a band very often, we don't need to worry about being used to playing at the wrong tempo or anything.

For a more "serious" band, though, it might not work as well. I can't tell you how many times I've heard variations of "man, you guys would be awesome if you had a real drummer!"....but obviously those people don't get it!

Latest posts

')