No love for the K7 ?

• Thread starter dav2321
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dav2321

Reaction score
Saw this new K7 on e-bay (7390670238) for $899. Ended with no bids ! Damn ,I bought one a couple of months ago for much more ($1400-damn impulse buy :mad: ) I know it's got the inlay but that's still a lot of guitar for the price. 'scuse me while I go look up patience in the dictonary :wallbash: .

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SS.Org's Irish Guy
Reaction score
id love a k-7 i dont mind the inlay at all actually

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ive been giving the k7 love on this forum for a long time. i would bid on that guitar but i already have one in silver, i want one in firespeak blue.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol: To no end, either. ;)

Personally, for what I look for in a guitar, it's just too much money in here. I wouldn't mind having one simply to bash out rhythm parts - what mahogany excels at, to my ears - but for an application-specific guitar that wouldn't become a main player and would only be used as a recording and/or backup guitar, the $1300 or so I'd have to shell out for a new one isn't worth it to me. I'd also miss the tone knob - some guys like the fact it's not there, but I'm not one of em.

If Musicians' Friend ever clears them out at like $600 or less, I'll be all over it - inlay aside I love the looks, and a replacement maple fretboard would do wonders - but I can think of about six better options for a two-humbucker mahogany recording axe (C7 Hellraiser, that new fixed bridge natural finish mahogany RG7 from japan, a 7620 with an aftermarket body, etc) that are more cost-effective and closer to what I'd want in a guitar.

Hence the no love. I love the matched pickups and headstock, though. :D

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
the guitar is amazing for leads, not just rhythm. especially through a quality mesa amp such as one you have. yeah i wouldnt pay $1300 either, but i see them on ebay for 900-1100 lots which is a good value.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure it is, but I just prefer the tone of basswood for leads - it's a little rounder and smoother, to my ears. It's a subjective thing, of course, but my UV absolutely annihilated my CST for leads, for the sound I was looking for.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
yeah my universe is nicer for leads than my k7, i agree... i just think the k7 shreds as well :)

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
Yeah, I'm sure it is, but I just prefer the tone of basswood for leads - it's a little rounder and smoother, to my ears. It's a subjective thing, of course, but my UV absolutely annihilated my CST for leads, for the sound I was looking for.
Yeah, same here, basswood all the way.:)

I really don't like the K7 at all. Just like the universe, you're paying a lot of extra money for the name. If Ibanez made another model of the K7, same specs, just no fancy inlay and no association with Korn, I'm guessing it'd be around $800-$900. The one thing that does draw me to the K7, is the lo-pro trem.

My Ibanez RG1527... I got Dimarzio Blaze pickups (have to install the new ones still, cause I'm awaiting my Bridge pickup), so when you look at it's stats against a Universe, they're literally almost the exact same. The only major difference between my 1527, and a UV, is that it has pickguard mounted pickups, and the middle pickup makes it so that you can't specifically select a place of the string that you want to take in waves from, because the 2-3-4 positions pickup 3 places, instead of 2. SO, in that... I see that sure there is a little tone difference with the pickguard mounted, and you can always change the switch, but I'd never pay $1000 for some cool inlays and steve vai's name.

(I love this auto post merger:))
zimbloth said:
yeah my universe is nicer for leads than my k7, i agree... i just think the k7 shreds as well :)
holy shit zimbloth... ok... you've gotta take a pic of your gear. You have a UV, a K7, Mesa AmpS and like everything known in existence. I'm completely jealous. I'm really slow with getting gear, not to mention a poor ass... so I've been running a POD Xt Live through a marshall 10W, hahahaha. (my TS100... has not been shipped yet everyone, lets KILL Carvin)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
David said:
holy shit zimbloth... ok... you've gotta take a pic of your gear. You have a UV, a K7, Mesa AmpS and like everything known in existence. I'm completely jealous. I'm really slow with getting gear, not to mention a poor ass... so I've been running a POD Xt Live through a marshall 10W, hahahaha. (my TS100... has not been shipped yet everyone, lets KILL Carvin)

I've pasted some pics in other threads. What do you want to see? Anyways here is a pic of my Ibanez 7s at least. If you want to see some of my other stuff, you can goto this location: http://www.antarius.com/nick/pics/gtr

brothers3.jpg

PS: It's well established both the UV and K7 are overpriced, but if you can get either one for around $1000 then its more than worth it, goofy inlay or not.

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
Damn Zimbloth... you have the only two 7's I want. I already have the K-7, want to send over that Universe? :D

I love my guitar. Though $1,400 or so is a good deal of money, I honestly don't say it's overpriced. After owning & playing it as long as I have, I'd definately say it was worth the $$$. But to each their own I suppose. Lots of things drew me to buying the K-7 over any other guitar...
*Inlay setup. I don't like dots on the neck for some reason. Yeah, it has "K-7" plastered at the 12th fret, but I like the look of it. :D
*Mohogany body. Always been my favorite, for lead or rhythm.
*Lo-Pro Edge. My opinion: best trem ever.
*Direct mount pickups (no pickguard). I hate pickguards (my only beefs with the Universe: pickguard, no longer Lo-Pro Edge; I'd also change out the tone/volume knobs to something chrome, lol).
*No tone knob. I never use the damn thing, so why have it?
*Amazing neck. My favorite neck of any guitar. I enjoy it more than the almost similar Universe neck.
*Color choice. I like the gray color (my only other preference would have been black pearl, like the RG1520GBP).

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
noodles said:
Zimbloth, is that a lawsuit ESP M-II?

No, it's an ESP Mirage Custom (MIJ). Neck-thru, ebony board, SD SH-11 in bridge, DiMarzio Norton in Neck, etc.

CyBerAliEn said:
Damn Zimbloth... you have the only two 7's I want. I already have the K-7, want to send over that Universe? :D

I love my guitar. Though $1,400 or so is a good deal of money, I honestly don't say it's overpriced. After owning & playing it as long as I have, I'd definately say it was worth the $$$. But to each their own I suppose. Lots of things drew me to buying the K-7 over any other guitar...
*Inlay setup. I don't like dots on the neck for some reason. Yeah, it has "K-7" plastered at the 12th fret, but I like the look of it. :D
*Mohogany body. Always been my favorite, for lead or rhythm.
*Lo-Pro Edge. My opinion: best trem ever.
*Direct mount pickups (no pickguard). I hate pickguards (my only beefs with the Universe: pickguard, no longer Lo-Pro Edge; I'd also change out the tone/volume knobs to something chrome, lol).
*No tone knob. I never use the damn thing, so why have it?
*Amazing neck. My favorite neck of any guitar. I enjoy it more than the almost similar Universe neck.
*Color choice. I like the gray color (my only other preference would have been black pearl, like the RG1520GBP).

I totally agree on all your points about the K7.

I noticed you have the Mesa Rack Recording Recto. I had that for a while. For whatever reason I couldn't get it to sound good recorded direct, but now I am tempted to get one again and give it another shot, given how much of a pain in the ass my current recording sessions are going. I used it for a while in a 'live' setting too, at first through a Mesa 20/20 which was awesome, then through a Mesa 50/50 which for some reason was a TERRIBLE combination. It was so harsh and thin sounding, I hated it. I ended up selling both the pre and power amp. I kind of would like to try out the rig you have. I'm happy with my current Mesa/Peavey amps but I want a cool rack setup again.

As for the Universe, yeah it rocks, I'm in the market for another one, but not a UV777BK. I want either the UV7BK green dot model, or the UVPWH white model. Either that or a blue K7 :) I also bid on that RG2027 that was on ebay yesterday, tried to snipe it at the last second but my bid wasnt enough. At least it hiked the price for the bastard who won it :)

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
I noticed you have the Mesa Rack Recording Recto. I had that for a while. For whatever reason I couldn't get it to sound good recorded direct, but now I am tempted to get one again and give it another shot, given how much of a pain in the ass my current recording sessions are going. I used it for a while in a 'live' setting too, at first through a Mesa 20/20 which was awesome, then through a Mesa 50/50 which for some reason was a TERRIBLE combination. It was so harsh and thin sounding, I hated it. I ended up selling both the pre and power amp. I kind of would like to try out the rig you have. I'm happy with my current Mesa/Peavey amps but I want a cool rack setup again.

I've heard of some people ditching the Recto Pre, not being satisfied with it. But I like it for direct recording. Really, you have to tweak the hell out of the settings to get the tone you're after (like any other Mesa product). I've had mine almost a year now, and I'm only just now about the tone I was after, lol (always tweaking the treble here, mids there, etc). What were you recording it into (signal chain)?

Haven't tried it with any other power amp, but I like it with the 2:100. Only had the 2:100 a few weeks now, so I haven't had a chance to BLAST it, but I like it even at low volumes.

As for the Universe, yeah it rocks, I'm in the market for another one, but not a UV777BK. I want either the UV7BK green dot model, or the UVPWH white model. Either that or a blue K7 I also bid on that RG2027 that was on ebay yesterday, tried to snipe it at the last second but my bid wasnt enough. At least it hiked the price for the bastard who won it

The black-green Universe is sexy! :D I want one of those or like the one you have. I also want to get a blue K-7 eventually too (grey in A tuning, and blue in standard).

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth, where do you live? and when are you not at home?:lol:

NICE RIG!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I was using it just direct into a MOTU 828 MKII Recording Interface. I wish I held on to it longer. As for the 2:100, that poweramp was made for the Recto Pre so I'm not surprised it's good. I was using one of those old 50/50 models made in the early 90s. The 20/20 was ridiculously good... for recording that's the shit, very loud considering.

Anyways yeah, I have a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket, not sure what I want to get....torn between another high-end 7 or a new amp.

David said:
zimbloth, where do you live? and when are you not at home?:lol:

NICE RIG!

I live in the suburbs of Boston. I am in college MWF from 9am-1pm. Feel free to conduct a home invasion during those times.

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
I was using it just direct into a MOTU 828 MKII Recording Interface. I wish I held on to it longer. As for the 2:100, that poweramp was made for the Recto Pre so I'm not surprised it's good. I was using one of those old 50/50 models made in the early 90s. The 20/20 was ridiculously good... for recording that's the shit, very loud considering.

Hmm, and you ran the inputs at +4dBu (and not -10dBv)? Most people who ditched the Recto Pre because they couldn't find their tone were running it into -10dBv recording systems, or were too impatient to tinker with it. :D

Anyways yeah, I have a bunch of money burning a hole in my pocket, not sure what I want to get....torn between another high-end 7 or a new amp.

You already got some nice guitars, so add a new amp! An amp will do a lot more to expand your sound than a new guitar (especially consider the guitars you do have).

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
zimbloth said:
I live in the suburbs of Boston. I am in college MWF from 9am-1pm. Feel free to conduct a home invasion during those times.
[action=David]thinks... if only he didn't live 3000 miles away and wasn't such a pussy so that he'd have the balls to steal something[/action]

')