No love for the K7 ?

• Thread starter dav2321
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
[action=David]thinks... if only he didn't live 3000 miles away and wasn't such a pussy so that he'd have the balls to steal something[/action]

[action=Scott]thinks David uses this command too much[/action]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Dormant said:
I really like the white EMG equipped Schecter - how does it play Zimbloth?

Real nice. It's not as nice as an Ibanez but it's better than ESP or BC Rich 7s. I liked it, i just didn't have it for very long as I sold it fairly quickly. No beefs with the guitar though.

------------------------------------------------------------------

CyberAlien... I just bought a Mesa Recto Recording Pre off ebay. I could use your help since you say you coax great tones out of it.

I no longer have the MOTU 828, i now use a Presonus Firepod and I also have a Presonus Eureka Mic Pre/Compressor/EQ thing. Any help would be huge. I'll let you know when I get it.

Thanks fellow K7/Mesa comrade :)

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
CyberAlien... I just bought a Mesa Recto Recording Pre off ebay. I could use your help since you say you coax great tones out of it.

I no longer have the MOTU 828, i now use a Presonus Firepod and I also have a Presonus Eureka Mic Pre/Compressor/EQ thing. Any help would be huge. I'll let you know when I get it.

Thanks fellow K7/Mesa comrade

Congrats! :cheers:

I'm browsing through the manual for your Presonus Firepod right now. The Recto Pre outputs at professional line level (+4dBu). If you plug it in to a "consumer" level input (-10dBv), the sound is going to be horrible, because it is going to be clipping like-f'ing-crazy when it goes in to the unit. For the first ~2 months I owned the Recto Pre I didn't realize this problem, and as a result wasn't too satisifed with it, but after learning of it and fixing it with a proper interface, it's been great. I can't find any specifics for this product that addresses its nominal input levels, and combined with the diagrams they provide (a POD running directly in), I think you're unit probably runs inputs at -10dBv.

Not sure how much of a help I can be, but I'll try, lol... I'm still experimenting, and sometimes something sounds great through my sound system, but crap on someone elses, etc. Here's a sample setting to try out with the K7 (one of my settings I use often):
Mode - Modern
Gain - 3:00
Treble - ~1:00
Mids - ~10:00
Bass - ~10:30
Presence - Play & find where you like it; turning it up really adds a sort of fuzz/gritty/in-your-face type aspect to the sound
Voicing - Warm Record
Channel Volume - 11:00
Master Output Volume - 2:00

^Using neck pickup it's heavy, using bridge pickup it comes out "crunchier" lol.

Watch the bass knob too. It can quickly add so much that it'll become a problem in a mix (and something you won't notice without a nice subwoofer).

Another nice setting to try out with the K7 (using neckup) [for direct recording/monitoring]. Clean channel on FAT mode. Gain, treble, mids, presence at noon (12:00). Bass boosted a little, ~12:00 to ~2:00. Channel output near 11:00, with master output at 2:00......... just a really smooth silky sound along the higher strings.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Scott said:
[action=Scott]thinks David uses this command too much[/action]
[action=David]will have used this too much, when he only talks in the person and only uses this command!:hbang:[/action]

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
CyberAlien:

Thanks a lot man.

UPDATE: (Robert Stack voice): It turned out the same guy who sold the Recto Pre to me (off ebay settlement deal for $700), also had a mint 2:50 so I bought that too.

As for the Firepod, I'm fairly sure it has both line level AND regular inputs. Also, look at the Firepod Eureka. That has all kinds of stuff too. I don't think it'll be an issue. BUT thats some good advice man, I probably was using it all wrong. Back then I wasn't as proficient with the studio equipment.

Jesse

iJesse
Contributor
Reaction score
I dunno, I hate Middle single coil pickups, thats one of the turn offs of a universe for me

CyBerAliEn

Reaction score
CyberAlien:

Thanks a lot man.

UPDATE: (Robert Stack voice): It turned out the same guy who sold the Recto Pre to me (off ebay settlement deal for $700), also had a mint 2:50 so I bought that too.

As for the Firepod, I'm fairly sure it has both line level AND regular inputs. Also, look at the Firepod Eureka. That has all kinds of stuff too. I don't think it'll be an issue. BUT thats some good advice man, I probably was using it all wrong. Back then I wasn't as proficient with the studio equipment.

The 2:50 should be nice. However, the modern mode of the Recto Pre will not be the same running through it. In a Dual Rectifier, when you switch to modern mode, negative feedback is removed in the poweramp section. With the Recto Pre & 2:100, when you switch to modern, the Pre sends a signal to the 2:100 telling it to start behaving in modern mode. Combing the Recto Pre with another power amp will not bring out this feature that makes the modern mode so unique.

Also... there is a significant difference between how things are labelled and what they are (on a technical standpoint). Something can be labelled "line level", but what that means depends on what the nominal level of the device is (the "line level" of one device won't necessarily be the same as another). I emailed PreSonus tech support to inquire into the matter, will probably have an answer for you tomorrow, lol (very little specifications addressed in manual; and even with a long list of specifications on the website, they still left out a lot of info :( )

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thanks man. Do you have AIM/Yahoo or anything else like that where we could chat in real-time? I suppose we could use the chatroom in this place if all else fails :p

')