No more hipshot bridges on Agile

• Thread starter anthonylbest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
I emailed Kurt last week asking some questions about what might be coming out in the near future, in specific if they would be making a 7 with passives and a hipshot bridge.

He wrote back saying "We are no longer using those as cost more and have limited mass and less range (limited tuning options)
"

Just in case you were also looking for an Agile with a hipshot bridge thought you might want the information as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Agile's haven't had hipshots for a while. They have a similar looking generic bridge.

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
Hmmm, well that's fine I guess, so long as the proprietary bridges Agile use are just as sturdy--which I'm willing to bet they won't be. I guess having more travel on the saddles is a nice plus however. I wonder if the lack of 'name-brand' will help keep the prices down a bit. That would be a nice result.

anthonylbest

Guitarist, Youtuber, Collector
Reaction score
I asked specifically about hipshot (style) bridges, so I believe this would indicate it will either be a standard hardtail style or a TOM.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Agile's haven't had hipshots for a while. They have a similar looking generic bridge.

:agreed:

The only ones on the website that appear to have actual Hipshots are from quite some time ago.

Hmmm, well that's fine I guess, so long as the proprietary bridges Agile use are just as sturdy--which I'm willing to bet they won't be. I guess having more travel on the saddles is a nice plus however. I wonder if the lack of 'name-brand' will help keep the prices down a bit. That would be a nice result.

I've heard mixed things about the Agile Cepheus bridge, not overly negative though. It is going to be cheaper than the Hipshot in construction.

Also, it seems that the prices of Hipshot style bridged guitars on Rondo such as Septors and Intrepids hasn't gone down, in fact they've gone up a little bit over the last year or two.

You used to be able to get an EMG and Hipshot equipped Intrepid for ~$600, now you spend ~$700 for one with generic pickups and bridge.

Not hating though, they're still a great bargain. :)

Spaceman_Spiff

Contributor
Reaction score
The only thing I would consider when buying one is how comfortable it is on my picking hand. I hate the new Ibanez Gibraltar III, but love the older, more bare-bones bridge. The Hipshot is damn comfortable IMO and this Cepheus one looks like it would be pretty much exactly the same.

ivancic1al

Probrem?
Reaction score
:agreed:

Also, it seems that the prices of Hipshot style bridged guitars on Rondo such as Septors and Intrepids hasn't gone down, in fact they've gone up a little bit over the last year or two.

You used to be able to get an EMG and Hipshot equipped Intrepid for ~$600, now you spend ~$700 for one with generic pickups and bridge.

Not hating though, they're still a great bargain. :)

Yeah I noticed that too. Simple supply and Demand I guess. They realized they can get away with charging more for less. Can't say I blame them. Seems they're taking the specs or the original and simple whittling away at the premium parts that were on it, replacing them with their own generic clones.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
When they have some cool hard tail 7s with passives I'll be interested.

QuambaFu

Reaction score
A friend of mine has two Intrepids. The first one that he ordered has a hipshot and the second one has a cepheus. The cepheus's saddle screws have corroded whereas the hipshot is still good.

The cepheus's bridgeplate is drilled differently than the hipshot. The cepheus is angled, probably what Kurt is referring to when he wrote 'more tuning options.' The Cepheus is a decent bridge just expect to replace the saddles and screws if you sweat a lot. My friend is replacing his saddles with graphtechs soon.

The bridge plate seems just as good the hipshot though I don't know what type of metal it's made out of. The hipshot seems like a brushed finish and the cepheus has a gloss finish. Almost like the difference between a powdercoat and a sprayed paint finish. Obviously if the hipshot is powdercoated it would last longer.

Edit: FYI - My friend put the new Dimarzio D-Activator 8's into these and he had to have the cavities routed.

Zugster

the green machine
Reaction score
A friend of mine has two Intrepids. The first one that he ordered has a hipshot and the second one has a cepheus. The cepheus's saddle screws have corroded whereas the hipshot is still good.

The cepheus's bridgeplate is drilled differently than the hipshot. The cepheus is angled, probably what Kurt is referring to when he wrote 'more tuning options.' The Cepheus is a decent bridge just expect to replace the saddles and screws if you sweat a lot. My friend is replacing his saddles with graphtechs soon.

The bridge plate seems just as good the hipshot though I don't know what type of metal it's made out of. The hipshot seems like a brushed finish and the cepheus has a gloss finish. Almost like the difference between a powdercoat and a sprayed paint finish. Obviously if the hipshot is powdercoated it would last longer.

Edit: FYI - My friend put the new Dimarzio D-Activator 8's into these and he had to have the cavities routed.

That last point has me concerned. If I were to get an Agile 7 string with passives I wouild expect that Agile pups (cepheus or whatever) would be standard humbucker size so they could be swapped out with BKPs.

QuambaFu

Reaction score
That last point has me concerned. If I were to get an Agile 7 string with passives I wouild expect that Agile pups (cepheus or whatever) would be standard humbucker size so they could be swapped out with BKPs.

I can only speak to the 8 string cavities. Are there 7 string cepheus pickups now?? I haven't looked at rondo in a while.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can only speak to the 8 string cavities. Are there 7 string cepheus pickups now?? I haven't looked at rondo in a while.

Yep, the 7-string passives Agile uses now are Cepheus models.

Estilo

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that too. Simple supply and Demand I guess. They realized they can get away with charging more for less. Can't say I blame them. Seems they're taking the specs or the original and simple whittling away at the premium parts that were on it, replacing them with their own generic clones.

Supply and demand? I thought demand for Agiles has been on the steady decrease since early this year. Look at the number of Agile NGD threads these days compared to many months ago..

Latest posts

')