No side dots quick fix

• Thread starter wildchild
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wildchild

Reaction score
I just found an old classical guitar and had a hard time playing because there are no markers and no side dots

Are there any quick fixes to putting side dots without damaging the guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Djentlyman

Reaction score
works for me

bicwosqp11_1_2.jpg

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
A cool idea that I've seen many builders do, is to get small brass nails, carefully poke little holes at the precise position you want them in, and then hammer the nails in a teeny bit (not very far!). Then cut off everything that sticks out from the side of the fretboard, and sand them so they're flat and smooth. You can also take the part of the nail that you cut off and use it to hammer the embedded piece a tiny bit further in, and then drop super glue over it.

Dan_Vacant

Reaction score
permanent marker, paint marker or even nail polish work. or like my friends first guitar you can scrap of some paint with a knife:ugh:

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I use hot green nail polish. You have to re-do it every couple of months, but it's not particularly destructive and I can see it in the dark, which is totally necessary.

wildchild

Reaction score
A cool idea that I've seen many builders do, is to get small brass nails, carefully poke little holes at the precise position you want them in, and then hammer the nails in a teeny bit (not very far!). Then cut off everything that sticks out from the side of the fretboard, and sand them so they're flat and smooth. You can also take the part of the nail that you cut off and use it to hammer the embedded piece a tiny bit further in, and then drop super glue over it.

im liking this idea
how about a screw instead of a nail?

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score

I can see a lot of people seriously messing things up by doing this.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
cutting a screw off won't exactly leave you a nice little dot. What I mean is that you use those tiny little nails, like toothpick size or smaller, and you carefully tap it in, just far enough that a little bit of it sits inside the wood, and then you clip the rest of it off.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
Why don't you just use fluorescent tape that you would cut to an appropriate shape and stick to the side of your fretboard?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Buy a pen drill and inlay material. It'll cost you less than 10 bucks.

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
If you play emmure, you won't need side dots

+1 On white out though. Works well and is non destructive and can take them off if you need to

MrPowers

Reaction score
I've seen several hard rock bands using neon colored electrical tape strips on their PRS's. I'm not sure why it's ALWAYS on PRS's, but I feel like it would work for you.

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
I've seen several hard rock bands using neon colored electrical tape strips on their PRS's. I'm not sure why it's ALWAYS on PRS's, but I feel like it would work for you.
Sometimes a "pretty" material for side dots such as gold or shiny abalone is not very stage-friendly when the lights are low.

')