Noise gate advice.

• Thread starter Andromalia
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I've done some research but haven't really found an answer to my dilemma.
Bear in mind I'm living in the middle of nowhere and can't just go to a shop try the stuff.

Basically all I've got for now is "buy an ISP decimator".
Right.
I've been wondering about the rocktron hush though. It's advertised as a noise gates but I've read user reviews saying it sucked for that and was really useful for reducing hiss and hum while actually playing, not a "mere" noise gate. Now if the decimator does that, it will be a no brainer.

I'm actually looking for something that would allow me to play quite trebly tones (think black metal, to stay simple) without having hisses that I can get away with live but not while recording. (I suspect my preamp is the source of this hiss, I'm using an Engl e530).

Here's my current setup:
-Engl e530->Gmajor2->Marshall SE100.

I'm going to get a power amp because the SE100 preamp input looks shot, will be a rocktron because I don't have the funds to buy a real tube amp atm unless I manage to sell my Laney GH100 TI head and cab. I tried using the head as a slave but the result isn't good.

And as long as I'm there if you have ideas for stuff that I NEED but have overlooked, fire away. (like an EQ, a sonic max etc I have thought about them but I'm not sure I really need those. Not necessarily budget items but don't break the bank, either ^^)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
the Rocktron hush and hush super c designers moved over to ISP and made the much more improved decimator series

so really you are buying an improved hush pedal that works better.

as far as gates go you really are better off just going with the Decimator

only decision you have to come to is, PEDAL or RACK, and, regular decimator or G series decimator for guitar

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Cheers.
I need a racked one, won't buy a pedal after I went to so much pain to get rid of them.
I've heard an awful lot of good opinions on the G one and it makes sense to have a gate at both places. Now....money... :ugh:

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah I picked up a brand new Decimator Pro Rack G brand new off eBay for $270 a couple months ago.

Look around and you'll be able to nab a great deal.

liquidcow

Reaction score
Do a 'saved search' on eBay so you get an email every time something with 'ISP Decimator' in the title comes up for sale. That way you won't miss out on any bargains.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I live in Ireland even though I'm french. Delivery rates and taxes from the US suck, and delivery from the mainland likewise. :(
And Irish ebay is mostly empty of good stuff, let alone good deals.
Will likely endup buying one new from Thomann.

Concr3t3

Under The Stone
Reaction score
I own a Decimator pedal. I only have 2 complaints:
1. it can be a little too sensitive sometimes
2. the pedal goes through batteries like no other

I think I like the Boss NS-2 better.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
I own a Decimator pedal. I only have 2 complaints:
1. it can be a little too sensitive sometimes
2. the pedal goes through batteries like no other

I think I like the Boss NS-2 better.

i actually find the decimator better for actual gating, and i use the actual ISP adapter, cus yes, this bastard will devour batteries like no other

kazE

Reaction score
Yeah why on earth would you use batteries normally?

pv_seven

Reaction score
I run 2 pedals isp decimator and behringer nr100 . They work really good. Am more into pedals. racks are ok. :agreed:

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Yeah why on earth would you use batteries normally?

for instances such as when i bought my decimator and they gave me a shitty APEX adapter

i hate apex, everything they make, except for maybe mic stand, are garbage

so i had to go battery while i waited for my ISP adapter

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i´ve been wondering about gates myself lately... like, what kind of gating does the decimator really do? and how does it compare to the ns-2? i´ve only been kinda close to a ns-2 ever, and i´ve never tried a decimator. i like on/off gates that follow your guitar signal really well, and makes silence silent, etc.

Latest posts

')