Noise gates

• Thread starter vontetzianos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
i'm looking for a good noise gate for my recto with a maxon od808 overdrive. which noise gates are worth looking at? I've spotted the mxr smart gate but are there any ones better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

I_infect

Reaction score
ISP Decimator, or G string. Best out there IMO. Abolutely worth the money.

I_infect

Reaction score
I get nasty EMI riding my powerlines; the area I live in is horrible. ISP Decimator is the only thing that worked(I tried everything) without sacrificing half my tone. I use it front ending my head with pedals in effects loop. I should have waited, as they came out w/ the Gstring, which has a loop built in it.

smith10210

Reaction score
ISP ProG... I had the isp decimator, and isp g-string and the ProG is better the ground lifts are great added feature plus it has a faster response time..

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
ISP ProG... I had the isp decimator, and isp g-string and the ProG is better the ground lifts are great added feature plus it has a faster response time..

I thought the Pro Rack G and the G-String were supposed to have the same response time. :scratch:

Raoul Duke

This is bat country
Reaction score
I'm using the Rocktron Hush Super C at the moment and it works pretty good for $300AU

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
used to be a hardcore ISP user till i purchased a Rocktron C rack it is smooth and tight and doesn't do the "clicking" associated with the ISP's..rack or pedals.....but is far more expensive too.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
used to be a hardcore ISP user till i purchased a Rocktron C rack it is smooth and tight and doesn't do the "clicking" associated with the ISP's..rack or pedals.....but is far more expensive too.

Clicking?

The Trooper

Disposable Hero
Reaction score
BOSS NS-2. I use one with my Maxon OD808 and Recto. I can stand directly in front of my Recto with the volume cranked on the OD channel and it's so quiet you wouldn't even know the amp is on. Virtually no tonal coloration, no loss of sustain, built like a tank. I've beat the hell out of mine and it still works like a champ. I see them all the time for cheap prices used.

Scoop_89

Reaction score
I'm gonna get the Boss NS-2 after some thinking. All prices is going to get higher in the near future so I'll get that pedal which actually seems to be the right one for me. Cheers:)

I_infect

Reaction score

I also don't know anything about the clicking... had an NS-2 for a week and returned it. While ok as a gate, it did nothing for the emi coming in through my pickups. it would be quiet when I wasn't playing, when I was, you would hear me, and the transformer buzzing 2 houses down. ISP is the only thing that took it away, even with a MonsterPower 3500 I was a hive of bees. The NS-2 functions as it should, just not applicable in my situation.

Inazone

Reaction score
I've been using an ancient Rocktron IICX in my studio rack, and it seems to have just the right balance (for me) of noise/hiss reduction vs. sustain. The old Rocktron Guitar Silencer is good too, but not quite as versatile. I'd consider an ISP, but I get such good results out of the IICX that I can't justify spending ISP $$$ that could go toward something "fun" instead.

vontetzianos

Reaction score
what about the MXR M135 Smart Gate? does anyone have one of these? are they good?

Apparently they're quite good. I know Zoltan Bathory from five finger death punch uses one, but from what i hear the ISPs are a lot better.

sami

porkshop sammiches
Reaction score
I've been using an ancient Rocktron IICX in my studio rack, and it seems to have just the right balance (for me) of noise/hiss reduction vs. sustain. The old Rocktron Guitar Silencer is good too, but not quite as versatile. I'd consider an ISP, but I get such good results out of the IICX that I can't justify spending ISP $$$ that could go toward something "fun" instead.

I believe I've "HEARD" that the IIcx's are better than the current hush's today.

aftertheburial

Reaction score
im using an isp decimator and i was given a boss ns2 and im having trouble figuring out how to get more noise reduction bc the isp doesnt do well alone ive got an ibanez tube screamer and a peavey 5150 with a schecter hellraiser 7 and i see alot of guitarist starting with a gate and ending with a gate in there effects to clean up sound more can anyone help me????????????????????????

')