Noise gating?

• Thread starter KAMI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
my engl is one of the ones that doesn't have one :/

you might have misunderstood but, I meant if a compressor would add more sustain and sort of fight the gate while playing
Yes, it would. And yes, the set up you see in Bulb's video works like you think when set up right. If you want that effect you will need 2 gates and a compressor.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the ns-2 is two gates do a search for ns-2 x patern its all you need

It's a single gate with a loop.

That's like saying a Marshall Plexi is two amps because it has two ins and outs. :lol:

Albionic

First of the magi
Reaction score
It's a single gate with a loop.

That's like saying a Marshall Plexi is two amps because it has two ins and outs. :lol:

but it does gate at the front end and in the loop though?
whats the difference between having an ns-s in x pattern and having a gate on the front and one in the loop? i only recently got the ns-2 so i dont 100% understand its workings but it seems to be doing the job of 2 gates and tbh i find it hard to believe that anyone would need any more gating than what i'm getting out of it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
but it does gate at the front end and in the loop though?
whats the difference between having an ns-s in x pattern and having a gate on the front and one in the loop? i only recently got the ns-2 so i dont 100% understand its workings but it seems to be doing the job of 2 gates and tbh i find it hard to believe that anyone would need any more gating than what i'm getting out of it.

You're sending your signal through the same singular gate twice.

vanhendrix

Reaction score
You're sending your signal through the same singular gate twice.

Exactly. Like how an iphone uses a second microphone at the top to detect and cancel out the background noise that the bottom one picks up in addition to the actual phone call

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
so, from what I understand the mxr noise clamp is basically the same as an engl noise gate and the rocktron hush seems to be just as good if not better than an isp decimator but, for less money.

so if I ran three gates, I would be basically doing what bulb did?

guitar->compressor->mxr noise clamp->overdrive->rocktron hush

and then in the loop:

send->effects processor->mxr noise clamp->return

or would 1 gate in front of the amp and 1 gate in the loop suffice?

juice_74

Reaction score
Bulb has 3 gates in his rig. Your one only has two, the MXR noise clamp is only one noise gate but has two input and outputs so it can track the signal in one loop and do the actual noise gating in the other (similar to the NS-2 and ISP g string)

If you want a similar setup to his, you need 3 separate gates, im planning on doing this soon too and I currently have an ISP decimator and have recently ordered a ISP pro rack g (pro rack g is TWO noise gates in one)

I will be running guitar > compressor > isp decimator > overdrive > channel 1 of pro rack g > amp input

and send > chorus > channel 2 of pro rack g > delay > return

Hope that helps dude!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
the rocktron hush seems to be just as good if not better than an isp decimator but, for less money

Not quite. The Hush was designed by the same guy who designs the ISP products, back when he was working at Rocktron. Think of the old Hush units as the less polished predecessor to the Decimators.

They certainly kill noise just as good as the Decimator, in fact I've yet to play any suppressor or gate that didn't do it's job just as good as a Decimator, but it will add a tiny amount of compression thanks to a buffer, just like an NS-2.

dr_kotasz

Custom
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys :D

some more questions:

1. is the isp decimator g-string effectively two noise gates in one?

2. has anyone ever used an mxr noise clamp and/or the rocktron hush?
of so, what are they like?

3. is bulb basically using three noise gates (because of the built in engl one)?

I owned a Rocktron RX-20 (Hush + Harmonic exciter, two channels), and it worked well. The hush pert is very simple to use. I liked it. I plan with a friend of mine to build a copy of it for my rig. I want to use it like Bulb does with the NS2 and ISP Decimator. Channel1 (only noise gate) is for eliminate the guitar's noise before the amp, channel2 is to use it in the FX loop.
I have a H&K Access preamp, so i can use it in the 1st FX-loop. In the 2nd FX-loop i plan a harmonic exciter (BBE Sonic Maximizer for example) and in the 3rd FX-loop, i want a G-Major2.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
Hmm, I was planning on doing roughly the same thing after seeing that video.
Guitar > Tuner > Compressor > Decimator G > Overdrive > NS-2 kind of deal. Maybe get an effects processor down the road. Would only two gates achieve the same result or do I really need to get the 3rd gate? The only gate I currently own is the Decimator G, so I suppose I could save up for the Pro Rack G if it's necessary.

Reaction score
Bulb has 3 gates in his rig. Your one only has two, the MXR noise clamp is only one noise gate but has two input and outputs so it can track the signal in one loop and do the actual noise gating in the other (similar to the NS-2 and ISP g string)

If you want a similar setup to his, you need 3 separate gates, im planning on doing this soon too and I currently have an ISP decimator and have recently ordered a ISP pro rack g (pro rack g is TWO noise gates in one)

I will be running guitar > compressor > isp decimator > overdrive > channel 1 of pro rack g > amp input

Hope that helps dude!

So if i wanted to do this, could i use 2 ISP decimator pedals and a ns-2 for my 3 gates? or could i just use 2 decimator pedals and skip a 3rd gate?

juice_74

Reaction score
@aWoodenShip & DECIMATEtheWEAK, 2 two gates in FRONT will do the same, the 3rd gate in the LOOP just clears up some of the amps noise and all that. And aWoodenShip, I reckon the G string decimator would be a waste using it in the front of an amp, works best in the loop as it tracks the signal in the front and the gates it through the loop.

I had a gstring in the loop and regular out the front, Im only getting the another gate when I get a compressor and placing it straight after that. But yeah ive now got a pro rack g, which is the same as having a regular decimator and a g string decimator with a few extra features and less space taken on my pedal board.

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
@aWoodenShip & DECIMATEtheWEAK, 2 two gates in FRONT will do the same, the 3rd gate in the LOOP just clears up some of the amps noise and all that. And aWoodenShip, I reckon the G string decimator would be a waste using it in the front of an amp, works best in the loop as it tracks the signal in the front and the gates it through the loop.

I had a gstring in the loop and regular out the front, Im only getting the another gate when I get a compressor and placing it straight after that. But yeah ive now got a pro rack g, which is the same as having a regular decimator and a g string decimator with a few extra features and less space taken on my pedal board.

That's unfortunate to hear. I might have to rethink my purchase of the G-string then seeing as I'm not really a large effects user. It was my understanding that the difference between the original Decimator and the G-string version was simply better gating. :wallbash: for not doing enough research.

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah dude thats exactly what I did too, thought the g string was better at gating. But yeah sold my g string pedal, keeping my regular to chuck after a compressor when i get one.

Reaction score

So can i use 2 decimator pedals for the djent sound? if so, how would i set the threshold for both?

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
So can i use 2 decimator pedals for the djent sound? if so, how would i set the threshold for both?

Not that I totally go for the djent sound but I use a regular Decimator in front of my 6505+ and a G-string in the loop and yes, that (and a compressor/sustainer depending on your set up) is all you need with some tweaking and my set up can definitely djent like a mofo. The whole set up is definitely a fine balancing act between your two gates, a TS of some sort and your compressor but once you get it figured out it is the bees knees.

juice_74

Reaction score
I don't know about the djent sound, i just play anything rock to metal, but two gates in front will work with having a tubescreamer styled od and a compressor sort of layout. If you want bulbs exact tone you may aswell pickup an engl invader too.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
well I just figured out that you need a gate in the loop to truly kill the hum, because the preamp is where most of the hum is coming from

ryan9896

Rip it!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score

dude!!! that chain is WAYYYYYY wrong!!! u do not need 2 gates in your preamp chain, and you can't put a gate between chorus and delay, that's pointless. if you want, pm me and i'll tell you how your signal chain should be connected. you are hacking up your signal the way u have it, or plan on having it i should say.

Latest posts

')