Noise supressor question

• Thread starter jamesy_pwd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
hi, i was at band practice today, and my amp was owning (Y) finally got a sound i like kinda thing, one question though, i run a boss ns-2 in x config, and although it quietens it down a shitload when theres a "break" it squeals just before it can supress it, like itsa pretty small jam spot so its obvious im too close but havent alot of choice, is it one of those "put up with it" kind of things, or could i get something that will give less squeal when i need to stop quickly coz the other guitarist has basically no noise full stop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
What kind of pickups you running? Maybe some quieter pickups would help. But if you're standing really close to your amp, the only thing you could probably do is point it away from you, or turn so you're nowhere near facing it.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Having played guitar->amp with no noise supression for years, I'd actually say that the best thing to learn is to use your volume knob and ride that like a bastard, unless the stops are really short. It'll help you when your noise gate dies and you have no choice except to play without one.

Failing that, I'd try the SP stuff, but make sure it's the newer iteration of the circuit where they've sped up the response time. Also, getting a pro rack G is probably the best and last investment in noise gating you'll ever need to make.

jamesy_pwd

.James.
Reaction score
yea i love those pro rack g's, there reaallly hard to get in australia and probably go for around $700 id imagine, atleast! i tried out an ISP dec standard stompbox one, and it didnt seem THAT great, well, not as great as everyone says, maybe it was one of the older ones as you said

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
well i use a EMG707 and im not at all facing it

If it doesn't happen when you're farther away (if you've tested it that way) I would just put up with it at practice. Other than that you really have no other choice but to upgrade the noise gate and hope for the best.

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
no has mentioned setting the NS differently yet. bump the threshold until it stops squealing.

suffo20

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with my noise sup. I have noticed that if I have a little too much gain that it will feed back every now and then at high volumes. Also do you have your noise sup. first in your chain our last? I have heard some people have some good results with it going in the FX loop of their head or preamp. I have mine going like this: Guitar- Tube screamer-Boss N2-preamp-Head.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
is the NS-2 supposed to be used for start stop like metal riffs, i dunno if i bought the wrong thing, i got this but people tell me cus it's a supressor not a gate that i bought the wrong thing, it certainly doesn't do what i want it to do

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I have had a touch of trouble getting my ISP to behave sometimes, but I KNOW this is because i like my pups really high, and I have EMG's and often find myself facing my speakers, or at least standing right next to them in the small practice space.

Four guys, all with wired mics and guitars doesn't leave a lot of room for moving to a different spot without getting all tangled up, so to save hassle we just stand by our amps. Small room coupled with 100+db noise levels will cause problems. I played a show with it not to long ago and as long as i was standing 5-10 feet from the amp, most of my problems went away. If you have the ability, trade spots with the other band members to get as far from your amp as possible, it will help.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
I dont know what is the x config but the best way my NS-2 worked was this way:

try to put the distortion (preamp) in loop of NS-2, and in/out of NS-2 straight to poweramp.

I use it like that but only with distortion pedal and a head and it worked perfectly! Really!

Like this: guitar - in NS-2 - out Ns-2 - in AMP
loop: send NS-2 - in distortion - out distortion - return NS-2

If your amp has send/return option, than you'll easily isolate your preamp from poweramp. Just pretend your preamp is the "distortion" from up diagram and you'll get most distorted silence ant any volume!

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I've used the NS-2 in every version of my rig (even running it in front of a GT-3 for a while) since 93. It does stop/start if you know how to set it... ;)

With stomp distortion, put that in the NS-2's loop.

I never bother with the 4 cable method when using tube gain. In other words I use it to shape what comes out of the guitar rather then what comes out of the pre-amp.

What you need to do is set the decay to minimum and the threshold to max. Dial down the threshold a tiny bit at a time until the cut happens at a resonable point when you play both hard and soft. Then dial the decay up a little at a time until you get a fast fade that's not completely unnatural! Very low decay gives quite a good on/off effect if you have the threshold set right.

A few things to be aware of:

1) The NS-2 isn't completely transparent (think a kind of backwards compressor!).
2) When playing clean, soloing or riding on the volume control it's best to switch the NS-2 off for natural note attack and decay. If you play soft with a high threshold your notes will go missing.
3) It's sensitive to guitar output so you need to adjust the threshold for any different guitar that you use.

Luafcm

Reaction score
I'm using a 6505+ with NS-2 4 cable method (x-connection) and it is tight as hell. I'm using a modded MT-2 as a clean boost and I'm not experiencing the same issues.

You want the 4 cable setup for high gain stop-start stuff. Basically, it adds your amp pre into the NS-2 effects loop. I have all the settings posted (last post in the amp setting page). Also, I have a youtube vid demoing the noise reduction, but it doesn't really give a good idea how quick the gating is, but it's quick.

Here's a vid from last night (shitty playing, but the tone is ok). There is some moments of silence in there between the odd note:

Latest posts

')