Noisegate and/or Compressor?

• Thread starter beretta329
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beretta329

Shoop da Whoop!
Reaction score
so, I know a noisegate or a compressor would be helpful, but i don't know which is more important (which to prioritize as far as trying to get it) and what brand/model of either i should go for....

thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Semi-pro

Reaction score
Noise gate

Why? Playing high-gain stuff live it's quite essencial unless you prefer unnecessary noise to be a major part of your sound. Takes away the feedback between breaks, might even clean up a bit the more staccato parts, assuming that your playing is at least somewhat tight to begin with (= of course won't make your playing tighter, but will tighten the overall sound). Just mute your strings with the fretting hand in between the songs and that's all you need. No rolling back the volume or switching to clean channel/the tuner on :)

Boss Noise Suppressor is very popular and you can wire it "twice" to reach its full potencial. From personal experiences i'd get sth else though, cos it eats the attack quite a bit.

I got an ISP Decimator and it's all that i could ask for. Sure, ppl complain about it having only one knob - but that's all you will need! Leaves plenty of attack yet gates very well. Sure, it could have a knob to adjust the decay, but if the lack of it is the price to pay for having all the attack, then so be it. The G-string version is more expensive but as far i understand it would be the ultimate thing.

Some people say the MXR Smart Gate is worth the money, cos it's relatively cheap yet versatile. Basically any gate is better than no gate, so there's actually no need to be super picky to get started with it.

Using the comp for a distorted sound rarely makes a big difference. Plus you would need to have a gate when having a compressor because it will boost the quiet parts, and thus causing the guitar feedback easier. Of course it would even out some cleans if you have such parts a lot, but the most beneficial way would be to control the picking dynamics. Saves money and improves playing :D

Both are cool things to have, but in high-gain set up the gate is essencial and comp is more like fine tuning. I've played 2 gigs without a gate and i will never let that happen again, but i've never felt like i needed a compressor.

Hope this helps :wavey:

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Using the comp for a distorted sound rarely makes a big difference.
I find some types of amps and dirt pedals actually sound loads better with a compressor in front of them. I like some compression on the cleans as well-as you mentioned.

A compressors effect on tone is a taste thing, a gate is much more important though.

ST3MOCON

Reaction score
Noise gate is pretty important you can pretty much always get away with not using a compressor unless you do a lot of intricate clean stuff than you might like to have one. I actually liked the Rocktron hush pedal when i used it because it was relatively cheap and sounded great.

Darren James

Reaction score
I'd say a gate for sure, especially if noise and unwanted feed back is a problem. For me It's the Rocktron hush super c. It takes all the unwanted noise/hiss out that you don't want and it gates like a charm. It is one of the best investments I have made as far as gear goes.

DevourTheDamned

Fossicker
Reaction score
compressors make everything sound better

gates make your live sound waaaay better and is much mroe important if youre in a gigging band.

but honestly, both.
both.
srsly.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
If you are going to buy a noise reduction pedal do yourself a favor and get an ISP Decimator G String. Best purchase I have made in years.

I am planning on getting the Keeley 4 knob compressor next though.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Noise gate for sure, Compressors are not necessary if you have good dynamic control over your playing. They are good for keeping it really even performing, but they are no substitute for keeping it even without practicing. You should have very tight even control over that. I do however like them a lot recording my bass, as it likes to allow the low strings to boom more than they should.

Inazone

Reaction score
I like having a compressor around "just in case" but very rarely use one. If I was strictly a rhythm player, I'd properly always run it, but since I handle all the solos in my band, I was always finding the compressor to be something I needed turned off to keep the dynamics intact.

For gigging, noise reduction is a must, but a compressor is sort of a "nice to have" piece of gear.

Khaine88

SS.org's Welsh Guy>
Reaction score
Porth, Rhondda Cynon Taff, South Wales, UK
compressors make everything sound better

gates make your live sound waaaay better and is much mroe important if youre in a gigging band.

but honestly, both.
both.
srsly.

+1

You get so much attack and Sustain from Pairing them + Looking Forward To pairing them with the noise gate with my Invader when it comes on Tuesday.

Atm I'm Using a Keeley 4 Knob as my Compressor and it is a fucking animal in terms of compressors honestly don't know any that are better, + having the Attack Dial on the top of the Pedal rather than inside is a godsend and a Boss NS-2 as my gate, its good don't get me wrong, but I'm looking to replace it with a Decimator G-string, but yea, I'd definitely recommend running both.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
so, what does your music sound like?

Gate probably, compressor least likely.

')